BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the handlebar risers off my bike after lowering it with Wilber's shocks and putting on a low one piece Corbin seat. With all the mods the bike now fits perfect. The main thing in getting comfortable again was getting rid of the risers. They raised the bars 1" up and back. I'm not sure why I'm more comfortable but I rode today without neck or shoulder pain. I love this bike again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Good for you WimStang. I think I am one of the few people that would prefer my handle bars a bit lower than stock. It seems almost everyone wants to add risers to theirs. I would prefer my bars a little lower, and me sliding into the "pocket" a little deeper. I feel more in control and responsive lower than I do up high.

Hope it all works good for you!!

Alaskan

·
Registered
285 Posts
IMO high bars are for munching highway miles hour after hour... and low bars are for a more sporting ride. The current setup on the RT is near perfect for me since I was already used to low bars on my ST1300. The RT is much more upright than the ST1300. In addition, I like placing a little weight on the arms to help distribute the load.

Do what fits you best. I'm one that likes the stock bar level and windshield but not the seat.

tsp
My Blog

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Welcome to the Riser Wing of the Asylum.

If you have been around for any length of time you have probably read my rants on learning how to sit on your bike. (Master Yoda Riding Position... MYRP...Google it....) But I digress.

I used to put my risers on and then take them off regularly. Early in the season = on... later, like one ride... take them off.

I have not put them on for about two seasons now. No longer even think about it. The risers make my back hurt.

Enjoy what works for your own ride style...

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I just pulled my risers off as well and went back to the stock mount. I also took my beemer buddies off the grips. I have tennis elbow so bad right now I can barely pull the clutch in. Since I never had it before it has to be something I changed, aka risers or grips.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Teach said:
I just pulled my risers off as well and went back to the stock mount. I also took my beemer buddies off the grips. I have tennis elbow so bad right now I can barely pull the clutch in. Since I never had it before it has to be something I changed, aka risers or grips.
I do not know the reason for your elbow thing. But, when riding, with no risers, can you take your hands off the grips, or perhaps just barely touching them?

If you cannot do this for an extended period of time, I suggest you are trying to support your upper body with your hands/wrists,arms. That is not what those portions of your anatomy are for.

You want you lower back to do that work. Your hands need to be free to wave at other riders or give the finger to motorists who do not see you... among other things such as throttle brake and clutch control.

Leaving your risers on or adding them does not really solve the problem if your body is out of shape or you are not prepared to use it as intended. Risers just moves the issue from one problem place to another.

Can you sit on a wooden bar stool about half an arms length away from the bar... and reach over to get your glass of soda water... without falling over or using another hand to hold your body up? Same thing.

A few years ago a fellow named Dick Frantz wrote a splendid article called Master Yoda Riding Position, where argued in great eloquence about this issue. MYRP is a classic. Google is your friend... poke around till you find the original.

F.Y.I. I never said it was easy to read and understand, nor did I say it was easy to do. I just intend to say it cured a lot of riders physical problems and made better riders, and persons of a lot of us.

I am not saying this will cure all of everyone's comfort problem, nor am I saying it is the one and only way to get comfortable. I am saying it helped me and a lot of other guys see some things they did not know they were doing... and it may help some find a new path.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts