BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#405 Blue GTL with a high seat is finally in my garage. Took delivery on Saturday and rode approximately 200 miles in our local mountains. Initial impressions are great. Not as comfortable as the LT but not really an uncomfortable bike. I won’t really know till I have a couple of back-to-back longs days in the saddle. What the GTL lacks in comfort it more than makes up for it in performance and handling. I haven’t got slow speed shifting down yet but she shifts pretty smooth when you get on it. I couldn’t ride but few hours on Sunday. I’m thinking of taking a vacation day just to get a whole day riding in. My bride isn’t keen on that idea.

·
Registered
112 Posts
sorchilla said:
#405 Blue GTL with a high seat is finally in my garage. Took delivery on Saturday and rode approximately 200 miles in our local mountains. Initial impressions are great. Not as comfortable as the LT but not really an uncomfortable bike. I won’t really know till I have a couple of back-to-back longs days in the saddle. What the GTL lacks in comfort it more than makes up for it in performance and handling. I haven’t got slow speed shifting down yet but she shifts pretty smooth when you get on it. I couldn’t ride but few hours on Sunday. I’m thinking of taking a vacation day just to get a whole day riding in. My bride isn’t keen on that idea.
Forgot to include riding days in the pre-nup, eh? ;)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I picked mine up a few days ago and have been on three rides with a little more than 600 miles on her.

Shifting up is no problem, in fact, really exciting, but downshifting is not very smooth. About 1/2 the time, I'm just not catching something correctly because it will jerk and the RPMS don't seem to be under control I know it's me, but it is frustrating. Got to figure out how to do it better.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
How is the sitting position? Can you flat foot with the high seat?
Want me to teach you how to downshift? :D
Congrats on the new bike. Have you made an appointment for the 600 mile service yet? ;)
Now we want pics or it didn't happen!!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Congrats Doug! Welcome to the "perma-grin" club!

Enjoy the "practice rides"!!!

:)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I would love some advise on downshifting.... Seemed to do quite OK with the last bike, but this one is definitely different...... Keeping the RPMs a lot highter..

All hints and advise appreciated.... and the 600 mile service is scheduled for Wednesday.... They even have a loaner for me to play with.....

·
Registered
519 Posts
DanDiver said:
They even have a loaner for me to play with.....
Hopefully its an S1000RR - everyone should ride one....at least once.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
DanDiver said:
I picked mine up a few days ago and have been on three rides with a little more than 600 miles on her. .
CONGRATS!!!

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zippy_gg said:
How is the sitting position? Can you flat foot with the high seat?
Want me to teach you how to downshift? :D
Sitting position with high seat is much better for me. Low seat had too much knee bend for and I was hurting after an hour. Yes - I'll take you up on a shifting lesson. PM me which weekends you'll have some time. I might even buy you lunch?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got a call at 2 PM today and went down to open the top of the crate and look at #595! It will be set up tomorrow so I am taking Thursday off to trade in my LT for my Blue GTL and ride off into the Southern California sun!

Can you see the grin? LOL :dance:

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
DanDiver said:
I would love some advise on downshifting.... Seemed to do quite OK with the last bike, but this one is definitely different...... Keeping the RPMs a lot highter..

All hints and advise appreciated.... and the 600 mile service is scheduled for Wednesday.... They even have a loaner for me to play with.....
The primary thing that I try to remember is that it feels like the K16 has about 1/2 as much flywheel as the K12LT you were used to, so any throttle/engine speed/rear wheel speed mismatch will seem magnified. The fact that a wet multi-plate clutch has an entirely different feel at the lever than the LT's single-dry plate adds to the problems.

Since it has been nearly 30 years since I last regularly used a wet multi-plate clutch, I've found that I've had to re-learn wet multi-clutch engagement characteristics all over.

Where the LT clutch had a very short, very definite engagement zone, the wet multi-plate clutch's engagement zone is much broader -- in other words, it is starting to engage at least a little bit (10%?) much earlier in the clutch lever movement you were used to on the LT, yet it doesn't become more than 1/2 engaged until after the point in the lever travel you are used to already having the LT's clutch fully engaged. The K16's clutch effort assistance device only highlights the early drag, late full engagement effect -- all while the light flywheel engine's rpm's are rapidly changing as the clutch engages/disengages more or less that you are expecting.

My solution: Put my ego aside and go back to basics -- I'm doing shifting 101 like I used to teach my students -- making long, deliberately slow clutch engagement motions until I "learn" the new clutch. It's a couple hundred miles later, and I'm not there yet, but it's clearly getting better -- you should have heard some of the take-off rpm "flares" and up/down bounces when I first started riding and had *no clue* where the engagement zone was, or how broad it was. On downshifts, ssslllooowww, controlled releases, feeling for the initial "bite" of the clutch between the engine and rear wheel speeds is needed. Rest assured, it gets better. At my current rate, I'm hopeful that it will all be second nature by ~2K miles.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Thanks Mark.....I just knew it wasn't me! Just kidding as I knew that it WAS me! It really did/does feel awkward and your advise will go a long way in helping me to re-learn how to best ride this bike.

I appreciate the way you explained it and I'm really glad that I asked for help. With about 700 miles on the bike, it's getting better. Shifting up is a breeze, it only shifting down that really requires me to go slower and think about what I am GOING to do ahead of time and acting slowly. I really must think ahead and plan what I need to be doing. I've got 50,000 miles of muscle memory to re-program.

Riding with the cruse control on ( and by the way, what an awesome cruse control as it is so accurate and specific without any of the K1200LT hesitation) and then slowing down defiantly requires me to think about it and plan my move.

Mark, thanks again for being so specific. Time to go back to class, but for the ride, and everything special on the K1600 GTL, it is worth it!

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
DanDiver said:

It's probably just getting used to blipping the throttle to rev match at higher RPMs on downshifts. Also the wet multi-plate clutch on the GTL will respond much differently than the single plate dry clutch on the LT. So you can shift a little quicker with a bit lighter touch at the clutch and shift levers, and probably not as much throw of the clutch lever will be needed. Think "instantaneous" when you go for a downshift with the clutch lever, throttle blip and towing of the shift lever. You'll get the feel in a fairly short amount of time.

If not you'll just have to give me the bike. :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Thanks David - I think I'll work on it a little before I give it away.

Today I'm riding around on a really nice loaner, a K1200 GT.... Sort of took the long way home and it now has about 80 more miles on it. A lot more like my K1200 LT and a lot of fun. Take it back tomorrow and pick up the K1600GTL. It does rev a lot higher than the LT though.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mark & Dave - Great stuff

·
Registered
303 Posts
I really like my LT but I could see myself on a slightly less comfortable 6cyl Sport Touring bike. I've sit on one and it felt great to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts