BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am only 5'8" tall. Due to this (after sitting on bike today) I found myself on my toes on the 2008 r1200rt. No matter what i did, I couldn't even level-out on the balls of my feet. Here are my thoughts.

1) I am not going to get the special seat that lowers riding position. according to everything I have read, not only is it a bit expensive, but it stinks for long trips (which are what the RT would seemingly be used for).

2) Any kind of shock modification would require center-stand modification. I am sure this would work. However, once again, the cost would be rather pricey. Also, I am not looking to mod the bike as soon as I get it.

3) I am going for a low-tech solution. I have a pair of black steel-toed work boots (used for old factory job). They have a 1.0 - 1.5" heel. This alone would provide me with some extra height (compared to the sneakers I had on when i stopped by to check out bike). On top of these boots, i am thinking of just going with heel-inserts. There are some that offer a standard 1.0" of lift, with a total of 2.0" if a add-on is used.

Like I said, I am not looking to modify bike. Nor am I looking to put in a ton of money. The bike felt very light and maneuverable without even test-riding it. I do think however if the only thing keeping me from getting it is another 2"-3", I would be ridiculous to not buy it. So, what does everyone think? Would using thick soled boots, and maybe a insert be enough?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Only you can be sure what works for you. I am 5'8" also and ride a regular suspension bike with ESA with the low seat. It's not a barcalounger but I rode just less than 150 miles today without difficulty. If you did not try that combination, I suggest you find a dealer that has one to try. If that doesn't do it, consider the low suspension bike. You give up ESA and the heated seat but gain almost another inch. Neither of these costs any money and may get you to where you're comfortable about having control.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ultimately you need to be able to ride the bike safely. I would think that if you are considering using a heel insert in order to be able to ride the bike, the reality is that this may not be the bike for you. The RT is an amazing riding machine, and I know I'd be very disappointed if I couldn't ride mine. But for a long-term and safe riding experience, probably should find a bike that is more suited for your height.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd look into getting a custom seat. This way, you can attain the ability to reach the ground better but still maintain comfort.

Andrew

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all

I am 5' 6' tall and bought a 2010 r1200rt with lowered seat and lower suspension and I think it is great. The longest ride I have done was a round trip of 400 miles in one day with the wife on the back. The only ache I had was ear ache from the wife's constant chatter on the intercom other than that I think the bike is first class.

REgards

·
Registered
327 Posts
Dont just look at the "low seat" option. Look at the "BMW Comfort Seat" option.
It is LOW and COMFORTABLE..

This is a genuine BMW option and fits all RT's 2005 upwards.

Link here:http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=2524

I think from memory that this brings the seat height down to 780mm from 810.

I had one on my 2010 RT when i bought it and it was very comfortable on the posteria, great tailbone support however I am 183cm and it robbed me of the leg room that i need for the tired old knees that i currently use.

Ive also attached a picture of the one that was on my bike.

If $600 is too expensive to enable you to ride a bike like an RT then maybe your looking at the wrong bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"If $600 is too expensive to enable you to ride a bike like an RT then maybe your looking at the wrong bike." - While I understand that a BMW is expensive, to say something like this is a little unfair I think. It's one thing to buy a nice bike. It's another to say if I don't have $600 to spend on a seat, a BMW isn't for me. It's as if you're saying every BMW bike owner has "money to spare" on whatever the whim. I'm willing to bet this is untrue. I know in the end it'll cost more to upkeep. That being said, i would rather save that $600 for a shock or tires or whatever, rather then simply spend it on a seat until I know 110% it is what I need/want.

"Ultimately you need to be able to ride the bike safely. I would think that if you are considering using a heel insert in order to be able to ride the bike, the reality is that this may not be the bike for you. The RT is an amazing riding machine, and I know I'd be very disappointed if I couldn't ride mine. But for a long-term and safe riding experience, probably should find a bike that is more suited for your height." - This to me is a very sensible way of looking at things. I only tried the bike with sneakers on. The truth is the boots I have my be enough to ride safely without inserts. Also, a pair of dedicated riding boots may also help. but yes, i agree with you 100%. You have to be able to ride the bike SAFELY regardless.

·
Registered
472 Posts
dadicool59 said:
Dont just look at the "low seat" option. Look at the "BMW Comfort Seat" option.
It is LOW and COMFORTABLE..

This is a genuine BMW option and fits all RT's 2005 upwards.

Link here:http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=2524

I think from memory that this brings the seat height down to 780mm from 810.

I had one on my 2010 RT when i bought it and it was very comfortable on the posteria, great tailbone support however I am 183cm and it robbed me of the leg room that i need for the tired old knees that i currently use.

Ive also attached a picture of the one that was on my bike.

If $600 is too expensive to enable you to ride a bike like an RT then maybe your looking at the wrong bike.
The comfort seat is not lower than the low seat on the ESA bike and is a good bit taller than the low suspension low seat bike.

·
Registered
327 Posts
GRB60 said:
The comfort seat is not lower than the low seat on the ESA bike and is a good bit taller than the low suspension low seat bike.
Must be a full moon tonight. Everyone seems a little touchy?
GRB60, I havent suggested that the comfort seat is lower than the low seat anywhere in my post. Frook said that he didnt want to invest in a low seat as he had heard that they were uncomfortable regardless of the suspension height? The Comfort seat is a low seat alternative that is comfortable without losing the ESA.
Frook, I wasnt trying to suggest either that you didnt have $600 to spend or that BMW riders have money to spare.
A purchase like this is usually based on a cost/benefit/value equation.
Cost - $600
Benefit - Enabling you to comfortably ride the bike you want
Value - Your decision?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's cool man. just a simple misunderstanding. I agree with you on the seat. IF I had $600 to drop, I would. For now, boots and maybe inserts will do.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I went with the building up the soles. .if I had an extra 600 to 700 bucks to drop on a seat right now, I would. But I have had my HD boots resoled with an extra 1.5” $125.00 investment. A good shoe cobbler is very hard to find. :rotf:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the 2010 low suspension, low single seat model and I am 5'6" with 29" inseam. I recently purchased the BMW Comfort seat and am comfortably on the balls of my feet or flat on one foot. It's not your actual height but your inseam that makes the difference. Try a low suspension model out if you can, it definitely makes a difference. Also adjust your preload on the rear shock as that will also make some height changes when you are sitting as you will compress the rear suspension a bit more.
Taller shoes will help as well, but then your legs will be folded a bit more. For me it was all about compromises to get the bike I wanted (sport tourer). I looked at the Connie and ST1300 before settling on the R1200RT as they had the low suspension model so I could reach the ground the easiest and also have a lighter bike when compared to the other two fine motorcycles.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
You can also learn the dirt bike stop...

Keep right foot on the peg.. Let the bike lean to the left and catch it with the left foot...

I agree that some boots with thicker soles will probably be the only solution you need..Also make sure the preload on the rear shock is set all the way down...

I can't tell you how many guys on here buy an 18,000 bike and then spend another three or four thousand getting it farkled properly... It's pretty common here....So try not to be offended by the "You're only a couple grand away from comfort" attitude..And it's true to a point, You are buying one of the most expensive, Elaborate motorcycles made. And unfortunately, Cheapness and BMW don't really mix well unless you've got major DIY skills.. Like me..;) I'm not calling you cheap, Just sayin' :) Wait till it breaks down....:eek:

You invest in the bike. Then invest a little more to make it "The Perfect Touring Machine" for you...
This is money that will pay you back with the ability to spend LONG days in the saddle seeing amazing vistas and great places in a way that would be completely different in a car..If you're not comfortable, Then you won't ride the bike as far, As often..This I know is a fact...

The seat makes all the difference in your enjoyment while riding the bike...That's one of the reasons they're expensive...It fixes a lot of things...It's just too bad that BMW can't make a good seat while others have no problem doing it...

You can look for a gently used Russell. That's what I do...Now that I think about it, I think I'd try to find a trashed low seat at a salvage and send it to Russell...Yeah, That's the ticket...

BMW if you're listening.. Get a license to build the same seat that Russell builds..Now that's a comfortable seat...

I know they're expensive, But the first ten minutes on your new seat and you'll understand that it's worth every penny..

Take Care..

John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think a thick soled boot MAY be my only necessity. With a extra 1/2" up front and another 1" in heel, it'll help a lot. I gotta grab the boots and head over this week. While inserts aren't my #1 choice, if I am needing a simple 1/2" - 3/4" of height, it would be a suitable solution without compromising safety.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 5'3.5" and have the low seat option for the 2010. It is low enough without the boots but plan on getting some anyway just because they look good. ;)
The seat is very comfortable as well...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had similar issues and use a Sargent low seat on an ESA bike. I have Sidi boots that had the standard Vibram sole (not the molded kind that can't be taken apart and resoled). I took the boots to a good cobbler, and viola, I can flat foot with the extra 1/2 inch added to each boot. Cost me about $30.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Boots are a great idea, a low/better designed seat (narrower at the front to let you shimmy down a bit) should do the trick.

Most importantly ... you've also got to get time on the bike. The fact is most of the folks riding RT's and GS's don't have an inseam anywhere close to the seat height. Your good ideas help, and you get more comfortable over time keeping the bike up.

Being 6'3 I can't say I have the same problem, though oddly enough I had the opposite one on my HD's .. the #$% seat was so low it hit exactly inside of my knee where I couldn't take any pressure.

Considering one of the HD guys I ride with might by 5'3 on tip-toes, is in his seventies, and rides circles around me on any bike short or tall I'd agree 2-3" isn't a reason to not get the bike if you want it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

·
Registered
543 Posts
GRB60 said:
Hi
I have a comfort seat. It is a bit wider than the factory seat. I think any gain in height will be lost because of the width.
Ellie

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi,

I'm 5'7" with a 29 inch inseam. Got my RT in 2009, which I think is the first model year for the low suspension RT. I would have bought a new low suspension RT, but saved several thousand by buying a very low mileage non-ESA 07 RT instead.

After I got the bike I had the seat customised for height mostly. (3-4 hundred for just the front seat) It was not lowered to the point where I could flat foot on both feet. I was advised that lowering the seat anymore would cause me problems with my knees...........and since the seat builder had fitted thousands of seats, I figured he probably knew what he was talking about.

After a few (AHEM) mishaps at zero miles per hour where gravity triumphed, I went ahead and spent another $50 to have my boots modified. With the thick soles & heels they are a little like the boots Peter Boyle wore in Young Frankenstein, but at least I don't have (AHEM) mishaps any more. Some of the mishaps were due to my relative lack of experience I'm sure, but I really like the added security from the thick soles.

Jamie

·
Registered
989 Posts
Frook said:
Ok, so I am only 5'8" tall. Due to this (after sitting on bike today) I found myself on my toes on the 2008 r1200rt. No matter what i did, I couldn't even level-out on the balls of my feet. ...
And your problem is? ...
Am I missing the point? Maybe it's you, not the bike? Why would you "level-out on the balls of feet"?

(Me, 5'6" owning stock K12LT and R12GS, often renting R12RT).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts