BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering the purchase of a K1200LT, but I had someone (who should know) tell me that due to my size, it may not be that comfortable. I'm 6'3", and weigh around 260. Just wanted to get some feedback on what others (who may be "my" size) think. Also, given gas prices, any idea how many mpg's on this bike?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Best thing to do is go to a dealer and take a bike (if they have one in stock) for a test ride. As far as mileage, it will vary by your riding style. There are some on here who can get 50 MPG and others who get 35 MPG.
The seat does have a raised setting and there are foot peg lowering kits available if needed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a partner that is your size. He fits the motor like a glove, loves his ride. I average 40 mpg. with a high of 55 mpg. best ride for what it is, hard pressed to think of anyother in the class that can do what the LT does!!!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
i am 6'01" and was 310+... Bike was a joy to ride even then. Now that I am in the 240s and still dropping, it is even more fun (and easier to get on/off)!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you to everyone for the quick response! I have owned a few bikes over the years, but this would be my first BMW. Hopefully I can be riding soon, and become a part of this community!

Thanks again!

Dan

·
Registered
335 Posts
Regarding the size question, I cannot imagine much of a problem. I'm 6'2", 220 and I enjoy every minute I spend on my LT. I like to get off about every hour or so when on a long ride just to stretch my legs. I have a 34" inseam and my knees are a little more flexed than I would prefer but I installed a peg lowering kit a few months ago that is improved.

When I got my first LT a few years ago I had a 180 mile commute daily and for a period I tried to see what kind of mileage I could get. The best was 55. I tried again with my newer one and on the 100 mile trip back home. I rode 55 mph and got 55 mpg, but since then it's stayed about 47 on my current 60 mile commute.

Whether or not the LT is a good fit for you, I don't know but I expect you will be a good fit for her since she is a big ole girl.

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
I'm 6'1" and 240#. Plenty of room for my size!

The foot peg lowering kit was a must-have, for me. Some guys don't like it because of reduced cornering clearance at higher speeds and a faster-paced riding style. This has never been an issue for me, but there are several first-person accounts on this site about the lowered foot peg digging into the pavement and causing concern.

We have at least a couple of guys on this site who are 6'6" and ride the LT.
<edit: one of them just checked in!>

Mileage-wise, I have no idea how to get more than 43 mpg on an LT. I guess my daily commute has too much stop-and-go to allow me to get 50+ mpg. I should try a tank of gas at 55 mph sometime... at higher altitudes... keep the windscreen low... accelerate slowly... draft a semi...:)

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm 6'6", 270 and I'm pretty darned happy with it. There are a LOT of bikes that would have me looking like a gorilla on a tricycle...this ain't one of em'. I also like that fact that BMW has a number of bikes that 'skew large', means I have options in the future. ;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
light86 said:
I am seriously considering the purchase of a K1200LT, but I had someone (who should know) tell me that due to my size, it may not be that comfortable. I'm 6'3", and weigh around 260. Just wanted to get some feedback on what others (who may be "my" size) think. Also, given gas prices, any idea how many mpg's on this bike?

Thanks!
I'm 6' 4" 278 and this is the only bike that's comfortable to ride tried a wing and its more cramped, I did modify mine a bit lowered the front peg's and slapped a new seat on it. commute 50 miles everyday its not dumping rain or snow. MPG run between 42 to 48 depending on how much the throttle sticks that day.

You could do a lot worse.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm 6'4" 255 lbs (and getting fatter every day). Back in 2004 I was days away from buying a Gold Wing until I sat on one back to back with an LT. I did add the lower pegs with floorboards, backrest and Russell custom seat to make it even more comfortable but I would say that the LT was built for taller, bigger riders. I still may have a Gold Wing one day since BMW has abandoned the luxury touring segment in favor of more sport touring but I already know that I won't "fit" the wing as well as I do on the LT.

·
Registered
832 Posts
6'-10 and 280lbs. Russell saddle. Fits me pretty well!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, I'm 6'2" 260 and I am very comfortable. I had my seat rebuilt and raised, (firmed up) and added some J-pegs for the long road trips. You should have no problems.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Rocketsled said:
6 foot TEN ? :eek2:

What size windshield do you have and does it keep the wind off?
Yep. My current LT has the stock shield for 2007.
My last LT which was totaled, had a Cee Bailey's #2, +4? I think.
I wear a modular helmet so I wear earplugs anyway. Buffeting is tolerable.

·
Registered
576 Posts
kk610lt said:
Yep. My current LT has the stock shield for 2007.
My last LT which was totaled, had a Cee Bailey's #2, +4? I think.
I wear a modular helmet so I wear earplugs anyway. Buffeting is tolerable.
I'm homing in on my ideal envelope. Peg lowering kit is more comfortable, but cold, If I make a new bar for the seat to raise it, I'll really put me in the breeze with the otherwise perfect Cee Baley's 22 inch shield. I too have a modular helmet, with a Cardo Teamrider Pro intercom...I figure I'll solder in a headphone jack for my in-ear headphones and the noise issues will be licked. I have to have the MP3 player maxed to use the Cardo, but only at 50% when using the in-ear headphones.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You have to try it for yourself - everyone is different. I must admit I am a little surprised at the advice though because if anything the K1200LT seems to fit taller people better, with more stories of shorter people struggling a little (usually relating to shorter legs having trouble keeping the bike upright given it's top heavy nature at slow speeds). I have a buddy who's almost the same exact height and weight as you and he LOVES his '02 K1200LT. And he does have a peg lowering kit and says it made alot of difference.

I'd say try one out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Again, THANK YOU to everyone for their response! I believe I am convinced. Anyone want to sell your bike? (just kidding) But I am a serious buyer. I have used multiple sites.
1. This site
2. Cycle Trader
3. Car Soup
4. Ebay
5. Craigs's List
6. Local Dealer's web sites.

Any other qood sites available that I may have missed?

·
Registered
335 Posts
light86 said:
Again, THANK YOU to everyone for their response! I believe I am convinced. Anyone want to sell your bike? (just kidding) But I am a serious buyer. I have used multiple sites.
1. This site
2. Cycle Trader
3. Car Soup
4. Ebay
5. Craigs's List
6. Local Dealer's web sites.

Any other qood sites available that I may have missed?
If you are really interested, you might want to check with "atrovarious", on this site. He has a very nice and very well equipped '04 that is for sale. He posted some photos and some video walk around's a few days ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm 6'2", 240. Fit fine. Gas mileage is 42 City/Mixed and 48-50 hwy depending on wind resistance/height of windshield. Use to ride GW 1500. This is mucho better.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts