BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2000 LT and today is the day I get to pick it up. Am buying it from a friend. 20,000 miles in excellent condition. Have been in love with that bike since the first day he brought it home. I know though shall not covet buy hey. I have been riding for 28 years, mostly sportsters, which means I have experienced nothing like this before. It is supposed to be in the 50's with some sun today and rain later. Please hold off Mother nature. I have not been this excited in a long time. Luckily I have a great wife who also loves to ride and is as happy as I am. Almost. Wish me luck on the weather. I think that is the only thing that is going to get me off of that bike today. Will update with pics when I finally get off of the seat.

Scott

·
Registered
509 Posts
Congrats on the new (used) bike. If you're liek me, you probably didn't sleep a wink last night. Have fun....and hope the weather holds out for ya. ;)

Toolman

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
SanMan said:
I purchased a 2000 LT and today is the day I get to pick it up. Am buying it from a friend. 20,000 miles in excellent condition. Have been in love with that bike since the first day he brought it home. I know though shall not covet buy hey. I have been riding for 28 years, mostly sportsters, which means I have experienced nothing like this before. It is supposed to be in the 50's with some sun today and rain later. Please hold off Mother nature. I have not been this excited in a long time. Luckily I have a great wife who also loves to ride and is as happy as I am. Almost. Wish me luck on the weather. I think that is the only thing that is going to get me off of that bike today. Will update with pics when I finally get off of the seat.

Scott
If you have not ridden the LT before, please ride it solo for at least a few days before trying 2 up! The slow speed handling (no problem once you get accustomed to it) can cause you to drop it at first, and a passenger will make that much more likely. I had ridden my son in laws Harley Soft Tail for about 4,000 miles, much with my wife on back, and when I decided to get an LT I took her with me for the test rides. BAD MOVE! I managed to drop TWO dealer demo LTs with her on the back, the same day!

Also, remember the number one reason for new riders to drop an LT is too much front brake use when almost stopped, with the front wheel turned any at all. Make sure that front wheel is straight, and you are ballanced well for that last couple feet of a stop, and you will not have a problem.

This is a HUGE step up from a Sportster! You are gonna LOVE it!

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I had to get used to taking off in first gear. I re-camed my FXRS to develop torque sooner than a stock cam. So, the LT was unnatural for me.

Then, I had to practice using ABS bakes, many times. My gut constantly yelled at me that the rear end was gonna brakes loose.

First time I had to order new plugs and a valve cover gasket, I ordered two plugs and two gaskets. ;-)

Have FUN
bob

·
Registered
131 Posts
congrats

Scott,

Congrats on the new ride. I am in nearby sw naperville..let me know if you would like to connect for a ride or general bike bs..also, see my PM.

regards

bob

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. :)
dshealey is right, when you are coming to a stop let off the front; use the rear, front wheel straight nice smooth stop. I was use to being gentle on the throttle with my other bikes; on the LT just get on it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
congrats

u are gonna love it im sure

per the other comments just be careful from the get go....

very tricky maneuvering at slow speeds.....

ive learned that its best to only use the rear brake in parking lots.....

take it easy and be careful.....

every time i ride mine i love it more

kip
99 LT

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! What a lot of great responses. Thank you very much. Have been on one short ride and loved it. It has turned winter here again. Go figure. Will definitely heed all of the excellent advice. Thanks.

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts