BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a ride out the back of Broke and towards Bulga today and went a little bit too fast !! I was pulled over and booked I thought the speed limit was 100 klm, but it was actually 80 so I was told by a very eager Highway Patrol guy. He clocked me at 115 so after I explained that I was guilty and thought it was honestly a 100 k zone he told me that even if it was 100 there. I was till 15 over the 100 KLM .I excepted that as it was the truth and I really had no defence other than I did the wrong thing and got caught out. After some checking on my licence and details he told me I had a clean record but was sorry he had to find me regardless. So that's still 35 klm above the speed limit with a $935.00 fine and possible loss of my licence for 3 mths. I know I can ask for leniency once the fine come through and might just get away with a 12 mth licence with only 2 points on that if approved.
It is one of the hazards of riding a motorbike and IT is my first time being caught out so I really can't complain. So I now have to wait until the fine is processed and sent out to me before I can do anything. We all take a risk and accept that it is part of riding a motorbike. the consequences will be the fine may be a loss of licence for 3 mths and higher insurance snd CTP slip next year.
I am not crying as I did the wrong thing as I am sure so many of us all do much the same at one time or another. It was just my turn to be caught and pay for that. Am I proud? ( no way ) but it has happened so time to be a good boy and move on, along with learning from this. The only part I think stinks is he was hiding on a side road in one of the vineyards, I don't think that part is fair in any respect.

·
IBR# 366
16,673 Posts
Man, y'all are strict over on that little island. ;)

I was running up the interstate last night at 74 in a 65. Cop in the median didn't even blink.

Several other cars were running faster...

Reactions: Ogre and Geoff c

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
I went for a ride out the back of Broke and towards Bulga today and went a little bit too fast !! I was pulled over and booked I thought the speed limit was 100 klm, but it was actually 80 so I was told by a very eager Highway Patrol guy. He clocked me at 115 so after I explained that I was guilty and thought it was honestly a 100 k zone he told me that even if it was 100 there. I was till 15 over the 100 KLM .I excepted that as it was the truth and I really had no defence other than I did the wrong thing and got caught out. After some checking on my licence and details he told me I had a clean record but was sorry he had to find me regardless. So that's still 35 klm above the speed limit with a $935.00 fine and possible loss of my licence for 3 mths. I know I can ask for leniency once the fine come through and might just get away with a 12 mth licence with only 2 points on that if approved.
It is one of the hazards of riding a motorbike and IT is my first time being caught out so I really can't complain. So I now have to wait until the fine is processed and sent out to me before I can do anything. We all take a risk and accept that it is part of riding a motorbike. the consequences will be the fine may be a loss of licence for 3 mths and higher insurance snd CTP slip next year.
I am not crying as I did the wrong thing as I am sure so many of us all do much the same at one time or another. It was just my turn to be caught and pay for that. Am I proud? ( no way ) but it has happened so time to be a good boy and move on, along with learning from this. The only part I think stinks is he was hiding on a side road in one of the vineyards, I don't think that part is fair in any respect.
Sheesh... tough call... here doing 75 mph in a 65 mph zone doesn't seem to be a problem... not that it is an exact science. I hope there is leniency in your fine.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys, I have a good driving/riding record with no points against my license, I have to wait for the fine to come through and will be asking for leniency based on my clean license but as I was booked for 30 km over the speed limit on a back road with little to no traffic does not excuse that I speeding. I am was doing the wrong thing also planning on asking for leniency based on the unfamiliar roads speed limit and little to no other road users but most of all I need my license as I am a full-time carer and need that to take my mate who I care for to doctor appointments etc. So I was the fool for speeding and except that. But hoping they take into account my good driving /riding record over more than 49 years of holding a license. This will also impact my registration and insurance as we cop a penalty on that come registration time due to any loss of points or fines or cancellation of license from speeding.
When you take that into consideration it is a bigger deal for me along with the big fine. I a good lesson to stick to the speed limit and know the limit of roads that are not familiar to you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bugger, I have a very annoying Zumo XT on my 2021 RT it lets me know the changes down in speed limits, I'm not going to turn it off. I always obey the limits when riding into a country town as it is their turf and the get very strict about it. That said at 110kph on the RT it's actually 104 on the Zumo. My 2014RT and 2002GSA were spot on, I always wondered why I never got a ticket on my 1997 1100GS mu guess is that it was way out. Just back from a 5 day ride with mates down to Nabiac, week before a rally in Mt Perry think I saw two cops. I ride with an ex bike cop, he says in Queensland they are limiting the shifts out on the road and giving them normal policing shifts.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The only part I think stinks is he was hiding on a side road in one of the vineyards, I don't think that part is fair in any respect.
Before I got to the end I was thinking they were going to be doing the wineries stakeout for the RBTs..
Pokolbin can be a real hotspot and I also have been pick up there for 99 in an 80 zone.. Yes I also thought it was a 100 zone..
Hope it goes well..

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before I got to the end I was thinking they were going to be doing the wineries stakeout for the RBTs..
Pokolbin can be a real hotspot and I also have been pick up there for 99 in an 80 zone.. Yes I also thought it was a 100 zone..
Hope it goes well..
Thanks, Mark, I am just holding my breath and hoping I can retain my license being 30 km over the RMS web site says it is a 5 point loss and the $935.00 fine but it can also suspend your license for 3 months.I just have to wait and see when the fine comes through. Once that comes I plan on writing and asking for leniency based on my good record and admit I was in the wrong,
but most of all I am a full-time carer so I just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
'20 R1250RS, '87 VFR 400R & '18 Alfa Romeo Giulia ti Lusso..
204 Posts
Ouch! hsrd line and expensive! I had a client here get pinched for 105 mph in a 40 mph zone, unauthorized speed contest (drag racing) and a basket of equipment violations. I negotiated it all down to one 8 point speeding violation and a $350 fine. He kept his driver license but did have to attend a "driver safety class".

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Many of the guys I know here hire a traffic lawyer for speeding tickets. The lawyer pleads guilty to other infractions such as no seat belt or using a phone. This gives the court their money, and lawyer his/her cut (generally $350 or so) and the rider no moving violation. Everyone is happy. I have noticed many countries are very strict. Americans generally push it 8 to 10 over, and let it go in isolated areas. Canadians coming to ride in the states show little respect for speed limits here. A ticket is just cost of fun riding as the points gained here are not recognized in Canada. Some day technology is going to keep an eye on us all the time.

Reactions: Geoff c

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would consider using a solicitor, in my youth I was chased for 30k in the country in NZ, my "good" mate knew we were being chased but I did't, that is another story. My country solicitor, ex Rhodesian magistrate, quoted a Norton works mechanic in a similar case in the UK, I held a A grade racing license and had a clean record luckily. Others in the court that day were getting huge fines and years loss of license. I got six months loss of license with one months grace, there was an option to apply for a work only license.

Costs must have been minimal as I can't remember them, within three weeks I was on my way to Europe via Australia (didn't get past Australia at least to live). In those days we had a paper license book, the loss of license sticker they put in the license somehow fell out :)

In 2024 it will be 50 years ago, didn't stop driving at any time, from 1980-1997 no bike but a house and 5 kids keeping me busy, now 5 BMW's later, latest a 2021RT, always said they were an old man's bike, but now...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Many of the guys I know here hire a traffic lawyer for speeding tickets. The lawyer pleads guilty to other infractions such as no seat belt or using a phone. This gives the court their money, and lawyer his/her cut (generally $350 or so) and the rider no moving violation. Everyone is happy. I have noticed many countries are very strict. Americans generally push it 8 to 10 over, and let it go in isolated areas. Canadians coming to ride in the states show little respect for speed limits here. A ticket is just cost of fun riding as the points gained here are not recognized in Canada. Some day technology is going to keep an eye on us all the time.
I thought of the same thing but to be honest the cost of a lawyer here is an expense I cant do at the moment. I think asking for legacy based on my good driving record and being a full-time carer will help me have the fine reduced or get off with a warning. I have had my license since I was 16 and now as of next month I am 67 so this will be the first recorded offense it just might help me.
I have a mate that is a barrister but he needs a lawyer to request his help so that won't be any help adding more expense to the matter. I will just see what happens and if the worst happens I won't have a license for 3 months and the fine, as well as the point, will stand.

Reactions: Fotofast

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would consider using a solicitor, in my youth I was chased for 30k in the country in NZ, my "good" mate knew we were being chased but I did't, that is another story. My country solicitor, ex Rhodesian magistrate, quoted a Norton works mechanic in a similar case in the UK, I held a A grade racing license and had a clean record luckily. Others in the court that day were getting huge fines and years loss of license. I got six months loss of license with one months grace, there was an option to apply for a work only license.

Costs must have been minimal as I can't remember them, within three weeks I was on my way to Europe via Australia (didn't get past Australia at least to live). In those days we had a paper license book, the loss of license sticker they put in the license somehow fell out :)

In 2024 it will be 50 years ago, didn't stop driving at any time, from 1980-1997 no bike but a house and 5 kids keeping me busy, now 5 BMW's later, latest a 2021RT, always said they were an old man's bike, but now...
Anyone that has not had a ride on an RT would not know how good these bikes are. My last bike was a K1600 GTL it handled great, well balanced like all BMW`s a lot of my mates were surprised how fast they go.:unsure:(y)

Reactions: Fotofast

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No radar detector and /or laser jammer?
No the only place in Australia that allows them is Western Australia, get caught with them and you lose them along with a massive fine and demerit points off your license. On a public holiday or school zones, you lose double points and fines. In NSW where I live, it takes 3years and 4 months from your first fine to gain full points back on the license unless you are fully suspended by running out of points or longer suspension such as 6 months or longer than you go back to full points.

Reactions: battlestar

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Hi Geoff... sorry to hear of your "misadventure".... copped one in the far distant past for something similar.
Have you read the rules in regard to applying for a review of the fine.. in relation to previous good driving record, especially if no other issues within a 10 year period... you can apply for leniency.

eg • For demerit offences, I have a good driving history and would like to ask for a caution

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Geoff... sorry to hear of your "misadventure".... copped one in the far distant past for something similar.
Have you read the rules in regard to applying for a review of the fine.. in relation to previous good driving record, especially if no other issues within a 10 year period... you can apply for leniency.

eg • For demerit offences, I have a good driving history and would like to ask for a caution
Hi, Chris, Thanks, I have been all over the review forms, etc. I just have to wait until it arrives via Australia post then go through the motions, The fine and demerits have appeared on my Phones app. but until it arrives at my doorstep I have no intentions of doing a lot so if it means I get to keep my license or whatever length it is a bonus. I have a friend that use to worked in the old RTA now RMS she told me that they saw very little lenience given out with the 30 klm over the limit. However, she has also been retired for a long time now. I just hope they look at my case and allow me to keep the license based both on my good record over the past 51 years but!! most of all as I am a full-time carer as it will impact my mate who I care for more than getting him to doctor's appointments etc. His dependant on a wheelchair and mobility scooter plus has a few other issues going on with mental health due to his injury.
I have all my fingers and toes crossed lol.:unsure::):geek:(y)

Reactions: Aussie Mark and cws

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I have a friend that use to worked in the old RTA now RMS she told me that they saw very little lenience given out with the 30 klm over the limit.
Yeah, I reckon its more likely your well over the "sorry I was a naughty boy" plead... but doesn't hurt to try. Best of luck with it!
I try to get my speed kicks from watching Jack Miller winning MotoGP races now! :giggle:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I reckon its more likely your well over the "sorry I was a naughty boy" plead... but doesn't hurt to try. Best of luck with it!
I try to get my speed kicks from watching Jack Miller winning MotoGP races now! :giggle:
Watching and doing are both so different lol I love the feeling of dropping into a sweeping bend or corner and accelerating out. So this has to be my wake-up call as it will not only affect me but the one person I need to have my license to help every day.

Reactions: cws

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Watching and doing are both so different lol I love the feeling of dropping into a sweeping bend or corner and accelerating out.
Yeah, with you on that.... but I get that same buzz from my surfing too... especially when it starts to get a little bigger... guess I'm lucky I'm still fit enough to have options! (y)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.