BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That is today's question.

While visiting the BMW Louisville Dealership, I tried on an XL Olympia AST jacket in Hi Viz Yellow.


They also had Hi Viz Orange and another jacket was Hi Viz Orange and black.





While I know the obvious advantages, are there LT riders wearing these day glo colors? I felt silly wearing them in the store.

Yes, safety first but the Kilimangro has the same protection and it doesn't scream looky me like the ASTs.

Go Hi Viz Yellow or Orange or the Killi? You thoughts?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,932 Posts
Rob,
It's a personal choice. I could give a rat's a** what others may think when they see me coming! At least they see me! :yeah:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Hi viz yellow here.
Not looking for a fashion statement.
Ever notice the road workers with hi viz clothing?
Most people do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
When you see it going down the road it doesn't look silly (in my opinion)

in fact I think it looks pretty cool,
maybe next time I buy gear it might be high vis,
Will it help? I don't know, some of em don't see trains coming!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
We have the yellow in the Joe Rocket Phoenix. The main reason we picked the color was to be more visable on the road. And oh yah, it does look kinda cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,681 Posts
I think the Olympia gear is very nice in any color, the hard part is to try and pose like those guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts
RVB1019 said:
Go Hi Viz Yellow or Orange or the Killi? You thoughts?
I'll be in the market to replace my jacket before the end of the year and have made the decision to go with the hi-viz yellow stuff (and probably helmet color to match :D ).

I got sick of all the "blacks" and "greys" for gear a while back (I currently wear red helmet/jacket combo) - and anything extra to add to my visibility get's my money this next time around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
Hi-Vis Yellow AST

Both my wife and I love the visibility of our jackets. It is a comforting feeling knowing that we stick out like a sore thumb. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
In winter we wear red and in summer SWMBO wears yellow and I wear red. Choice of colours only because of what was in stock at the right size at the time! The bike is also bright red and has additional reflective strips on the panniers (always on), plus high level brake etc etc. Anything to be seen...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,424 Posts
I saw 4 on the way to CCR, one on an LT, one on R1200CLC and two on Harleys and let me tell you it DID NOT sneak up on you. :eek: At CCR I saw more rider and pillions coming in on them. Me, I like them. It will be the next jacket I buy. Plus it will meet the Hi-Viz/reflective requirement when I go on military installations on the bike for work or PGR missions alone.

OBTW, it is a fashion statement for me, I LOVE to be seen. :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,797 Posts
I think the hi-viz colors are a great idea, and do increase one's visibility on the road. Combine some reflective patches or striping and they work at night, too. Some people don't like the bright colors, but to each is own.

BTW, who is that distinguished gentleman on the left in Paul's photo? :)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Show them colors

Steve_R said:
I saw 4 on the way to CCR, one on an LT, one on R1200CLC and two on Harleys and let me tell you it DID NOT sneak up on you. :eek: At CCR I saw more rider and pillions coming in on them. Me, I like them. It will be the next jacket I buy. Plus it will meet the Hi-Viz/reflective requirement when I go on military installations on the bike for work or PGR missions alone.

OBTW, it is a fashion statement for me, I LOVE to be seen. :D

Show off! :p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,932 Posts
hschisler said:
I think the hi-viz colors are a great idea, and do increase one's visibility on the road. Combine some reflective patches or striping and they work at night, too. Some people don't like the bright colors, but to each is own.

BTW, who is that distinguished gentleman on the left in Paul's photo? :)

WELL, since you asked it's Howie, and to the right, Just Joe & Michael. BTW, I got a hair cut since that photo . . . looked a bit bushy around the ears! :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
Go with the brightest, loudest thing you can find. Try this next time you're out driving your car. Look for motorcycles, tell me what you see. About the best you can do is seeing the headlight, followed by the helmet, then the upper chest area.

Until the helmet makers start making Hi-Viz solid helmets, I'll be wearing Hi-Viz jacket and or traffic vests. The only color helmet that I recommend is, solid white or (2nd choice) solid yellow. In fact, a study done in Europe several years ago indicated that you would increase your visibility by 25 % if you wear a solid, white helmet. I'm convinced. If you can't spring for new, Hi-Viz jacket, try one of the vests out there on the market. Olympia, Icon both make a nice one. There's a lot of cheaper traffic vests on the market too. Try www.ridesafer.com and www.visionvests.com.

In regards to visiblity, I read a quote in the last issue of ON that I liked, "you never hear a driver say, I didn't hear him coming, it's always, I didn't see him".

We should try to make ourselves as visually loud as possible. We all know the story on so called, "loud pipes" right?

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,424 Posts
Yep. Miss E can be seen and you can't. And that's a good thing. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
RVB1019 said:
That is today's question.

While visiting the BMW Louisville Dealership, I tried on an XL Olympia AST jacket in Hi Viz Yellow.


They also had Hi Viz Orange and another jacket was Hi Viz Orange and black.





While I know the obvious advantages, are there LT riders wearing these day glo colors? I felt silly wearing them in the store.

Yes, safety first but the Kilimangro has the same protection and it doesn't scream looky me like the ASTs.

Go Hi Viz Yellow or Orange or the Killi? You thoughts?

The best piece of gear I have ever invested in>
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I have always carried a small dry bag on top of my top rack wrapped with a Hi-Viz vest and I have a white bandana tied to it so it flaps in the breeze.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Hi Viz yellow

I am going with a hi-vis yellow next time I can rationalize getting a new jacket. The problem for me now is that my AeroStich Darien just will not wear out.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top