BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Rt , just got back from doing my bucket list trip,(Atlantic province to Vancouver Island , down to Los Angeles and across to Florida , then home). I brougt the bike in for oil change the service rep at my shop told me I should be looking at trading in my bike (80,000KM or 50,000miles) for a new one. I was told way back when I bought it that the RT engine would be good for 300,000KM or more if serviced right....would like to know your opinion on the reliability and durability of the RT....bike works great...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Keon said:
I have a 2006 Rt , just got back from doing my bucket list trip,(Atlantic province to Vancouver Island , down to Los Angeles and across to Florida , then home). I brougt the bike in for oil change the service rep at my shop told me I should be looking at trading in my bike (80,000KM or 50,000miles) for a new one. I was told way back when I bought it that the RT engine would be good for 300,000KM or more if serviced right....would like to know your opinion on the reliability and durability of the RT....bike works great...
Hi
I have an 09 RT with the same miles and it runs better than ever.

I was told the same thing.

I decided to keep it and I think as long as the bike gets it's regular servicing it will run forever.

Besides, I think the hit in depreciation will be more than any significant work that will be required for the next few years?
Ellie

·
Registered
96 Posts
Keon:
Is the DOHC engine appealing to you? HP is rated the same, but Tq rated a bit more - I do need to go for a head to head drag race with the push rod mtr. one day

For me it was time:
93 FLHS with 130K miles on it and way too many mods to list to include an S&S mtr. I owned this bike for 20 years
2002 Ducati 998 - had this bike for 10 years and 40K miles

Loving my new fleet:
2012 R1200RT - Sproty Station Wagon
2011 GSX-R750 - Track

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Keon... the evidence is that the bikes are reliable and given proper maintenance will last far beyond your mileage... Call it 2X-3X or more.

Things do notice the passage of time however. Wear happens, rock chips, dust and dirt accumulate. Shocks need replacing, alternator belts must be attended to. etc, etc.

But, if you need a reason to go newer... you can tell your spouse or partner that it is done for and needs to be changed... your call, we will back you up.

:D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Keon - If you're happy with the bike, keep it. Could be the service rep wants you to trade it in so he can have it himself. 50K miles/80Km is just getting broken in. If you need an excuse for a new one it can't be based upon estimated service life, unless you cross your fingers behind your back ...

That's a great trip. How long were you on the road? Sounds like something on the order of 10,000 miles.

JayJay

·
Registered
717 Posts
I was a car salesman for a while and got out because of the lying to customers and dirty dealings. I knew better when I got in, but it was on a 'bucket list' of things I had always wanted to do and I was newly retired from the Police Dept.

One of the many dirty little secrets in the auto dealerships is the service rep gets a kickback for anyone he sends to the salesman that then buys a new vehicle. So he has nothing to lose and something to gain by trash talking someone's perfectly good vehicle that's in for service. They also get a heads-up from the salesman if he has a possible buyer looking for a particular used model.
" Mr Smith, I see your car now has XX,000 miles on it. We recommend it has the following 6 services done to it...Let me calculate the cost...Let me ask you, how much more money do you want to spend on it?"
"Mrs Jones, "Instead of spending $2,600 on your vehicle's repairs today, you can get a $1500 rebate on a new model, whatever color you want."

Dealerships will also take their time on a service job when they see you are staying and waiting for the vehicle. They want you to get antsy and walk over to the showroom floor. A salesman will then pounce and also tell you not to put any more money into your old vehicle and he can give you top dollar on a trade, there's a rebate on a new one... yadda yadda yadda.

I can't decide for you, I don't know how happy you are with the bike, and I know sometimes we just get a desire for something new or something different. But I can tell you that, in a nutshell, your service rep is full of sh!t!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Keep it!! 1980 R100RT, kept for 22 years----wish I still had it. 206,000 miles. Yes they do last.
Be safe out there

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your help, I decided to keep the bike....The North American trip took me 4weeks to do, 16,400 KM or 10,200 miles...great memories, lots of nice people and views....Grand Canyon and Big Sur were my nicest stops....Big Sur is a great motorcycle ride.... :)

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I think most motorcycle upgrades are based on emotion, I went through that this spring. I had a St1100 that had travelled just a bit more than 70,000 km and I am confident that it would have gone just as many more with just regular maintenance. I had just put new brakes and tires on the bike and then I stopped in at the friendly BMW dealer. I thought about the RT for a week or so and then went out and bought it. There was no real good reason to but I lusted for a new bike and finally gave into the desire. So maybe you are at that time as well were you have an itch and a desire to scratch it, you want to be able to blame us when you do buy ;)

Gerhard

·
Registered
285 Posts
I felt like my 2010 RT got broken in at about 24,000 miles. I say your bike is just getting good. It seems like the BMW engines are good for way beyond 100,000 miles. My mechanic has well beyond 200,000 miles on his GS and it has been through some very rough tours.

You will still have to replace a few wear items outside of the engine and transmission but those are minor maintenance items in comparison.

Of course I traded my ST1300 because the directional signal switch was beginning to fail on my bike. And I wanted something much lighter... and like the boxer engine. :)

tsp
My Blog

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
tsperez said:
I traded my ST1300 because the directional signal switch was beginning to fail ... :)
Sounds like a good reason to trade in the bike. I once sold a perfectly good 4-year old Chevy pickup with 30-something thousand miles because it needed new spark plug wires. Looking back, that was a silly thing to do. But fuel was also climbing towards $0.70/gallon then and it was a gas hog. :)

JayJay

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
hopz said:
Things do notice the passage of time however. Wear happens, rock chips, dust and dirt accumulate. Shocks need replacing, alternator belts must be attended to. etc, etc.
All of which can be returned to as-new condition for less than buying a new bike.

That's effort, of course, and buying the new bike is only money. Convenience always costs.

Now, this "restoration" may cost a significant percentage of the value of the old bike, but that's only relevant when thinking of a bike as an "investment." It NEVER is--it's an expense, i.e. a choice to "consume."

·
Registered
550 Posts
I had a 2003 1150 RT with 66k miles on it. Perfect condition and all services up to date. It was one of the rarer black models, too. Saying that, I got the crazies for a new 1200, and went from a great riding bike that i owned outright, to a great riding bike that I now owe $24k on, to the credit union.

Unless you got the crazies, keep what you have and spend that $350 a month on something else, like traveling with your honey. The journeys will be just as much fun and more frequent...tomp dd50

1 - 14 of 14 Posts