BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a good note:
I have finally run down and killed the last of the electrical gremlins that have been haunting me since last week when I bought the bike! The previous owner must have broke the connector off the battery ground and instead of having it fixed correctly, he drilled through the connector severing at least 8 different grounds to the battery. This may have worked if he used a big screw to hold it the metal plate he installed but instead he used a small screw and covered the whole thing up with tape at the end so as to hide his crime. Well just like the Bible says, "rest assured that your sins will find you out", This heinous crime against this fine bike has been discovered and justice is served! :bike: Maybe now I can go for a ride?....please?? pretty please??

On a bad note:
The ABS lights are still blinking.... even after the reset trick... :brick:

Here is the question: Do you think it is worth me going to the dealer to verify the code as to what is wrong with the ABS? My volt meter shows it to be a code 6 which, according to the instructions, is the ABS relay. How reliable are the count codes? I really dont want to waste money or time fixing something that is not the problem. I tried at least half a dozen times to get it to clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Unbelievable! What a fine "job" the PO did on the wiring. No dealer hourly rate or parts costs involved so a reasonably priced fix. Just the time.

As mentioned previously a piece of electrical tape applied over the top of the wig wag lights will "fix" your ABS issue. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to ride my September 2000 build date '01 without the ABS brakes. Not saying I'm not glad to have them but I've owned close to 40 bikes prior to the LT and this is the first one to have ABS. No effect whatever on rideability as long as you don't try to brake on gravel, snow, ice, etc. The ABS might be a good project for the coming winter. Provided spring ever shows up!

Enjoy the ride!

Loren

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Glad you found the problem and fixed it. It is amazing what some people do to electrical systems. You wouldn't believe some of the horror scenes I find on boats/yachts.

I can't help you on that ABS situation as I have never had to get into mine. I would suggest however, that you check all the wiring (again) and make sure there isn't anything missing or loose. I am a firm believer in checking BOTH ends of wires and cables, especially ground wires. Often crimped connectors aren't crimped well, are corroded, etc.

I see you have a FLOODED type battery. Check your electrolite levels and maybe have your battery load tested for a real good indication of its condition.

I for one would stay away from the dealer until all else fails. I have never seen such a combination of knowledge and experience that the folks on this forum have to offer. :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts