BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much movement is to much ?. Since going to the STC this past weekend my rear disc seems to have at least twice the movement it had before.
I just checked it with a dial indicator & front to rear is .055 & side to side is .024.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
saddle-man said:
How much movement is to much ?. Since going to the STC this past weekend my rear disc seems to have at least twice the movement it had before.
I just checked it with a dial indicator & front to rear is .055 & side to side is .024.
It's a floating disc and the bushings wear causing the movement. My bike has 65k and it has noticeable side to side play. I don't think it hurts anything, just makes a lot of rattling noise at low speeds.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My 02 with102k has had 3 or 4 rear disc replaced under warranty. Now loose again and soon to go back to the dealer (ext warranty). There was a change in the rivet count to improve the problem, I think they changed from 9 to 7 rivets. A search should tell you and prepare you to take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Dave, an alternative if you are interested is to get an EBC rotor,

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
saddle-man said:

Hi Dave, fore and aft movement is the problem as I guess you suspect. That .055 indicates the rivets are fairly worn. Lateral play is normal, even when mine was replaced under warranty. I like Mike's EBC disc idea.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi Dave. I replaced my rear rotor and pads on my 03 at 66,500 mi. I talked to the dealer was told it was not a safety issue just annoying.
1. part # MD615 rear rotor $139.00
2. part # FA304HH brake pads $30.60
3. ship UPS grd. 13.50
Total $176.10
time to change 2 hrs. this is for 03, double check part #s for 04

·
Registered
276 Posts
danbrown said:
Hi Dave. I replaced my rear rotor and pads on my 03 at 66,500 mi. I talked to the dealer was told it was not a safety issue just annoying.
1. part # MD615 rear rotor $139.00
2. part # FA304HH brake pads $30.60
3. ship UPS grd. 13.50
Total $176.10
time to change 2 hrs. this is for 03, double check part #s for 04
^^ These are EBC Part numbers, by the way ^^

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice everybody. I have a spare 2008 FD with a rotor from a bike that was triked. I just got back from the dealer to buy the two bolts for the rotor & they don't stock them. What I really would like to know is what is too much movement front too back.

They said at the dealer there is no set number. If it moves front too back it's no good. There price was $445.00 for a new rotor. I reused the two bolts 10,000 miles ago from my rotor when I had it off. So I'll clean & reuse the bolts from the 08 drive this time.

When I install the 08 rotor I'll check both forward & side play so I have some data to have.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
saddle-man said:
Thanks for all the advice everybody. I have a spare 2008 FD with a rotor from a bike that was triked. I just got back from the dealer to buy the two bolts for the rotor & they don't stock them. What I really would like to know is what is too much movement front too back.

They said at the dealer there is no set number. If it moves front too back it's no good. There price was $445.00 for a new rotor. I reused the two bolts 10,000 miles ago from my rotor when I had it off. So I'll clean & reuse the bolts from the 08 drive this time.

When I install the 08 rotor I'll check both forward & side play so I have some data to have.
I'm with the dealer. Since there aren't any specs, hard to say what too much is. I'd say you'd have to look at how it moves within the area of the brake pad surface and make a judgement call. If any binding could occur, definitely bad. Don't buy the stock. Go with the EBC. I've seen Dan Brown's after installation and it works great. Also, the parts that fit Dan's '03 are the same as our '04's.

Hi Dan, how you doin? :wave

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed my 2008 spare rotor. It is the new 5 rivet design. I can't move it by hand in either direction. I also finally wore out my rear brake pads. I'm on my second set of front pads & now my first set on the rear.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts