BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about purchasing an 05 LT with original tires and I am wondering what tires are working best for everybody?

·
Registered
683 Posts
A huge topic of discussion on this site. Lots of different opinions about grip and wear. It seems that the better the grip, the faster the tire wears. Metzlers sound like the longest wearing, but less grippier in the wet, Bridgestones sound like they're better grip but wear faster, Avons.....Some love them, some hate them....I went with the Metzs because I cant afford to replace tires every 5 to 6k miles.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Bridgestone warrants their tires against wearout for 4 years from the date of manufacture. 100% 1st year, stepping down 25% every year.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lee510 said:
Bridgestone warrants their tires against wearout for 4 years from the date of manufacture. 100% 1st year, stepping down 25% every year.
Wow,
I don't think I've ever heard of a tire warranty by age, only by mileage. I'm surprised they don't get beat up bad on that warranty.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Foiler said:
I am thinking about purchasing an 05 LT with original tires and I am wondering what tires are working best for everybody?
+1 with the Metzler, front and rear. My service guys in the Greater Seattle area (although I live in Eastern/Central WA) make a face when other tires are mentioned because of the wear factor. I ride 2-up 90% Apr-Oct and never had a concern peg-scraping through many a corner with the SO.

Hmmm... no complaints in all the rides by myself either from November-March (and the temps drop pretty low)!

I would have to disconnect the IC with the Mrs. on a better grabbing (although shorter life) tire. ;D

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Lee510 said:
Do know of anybody making a claim on them? Looks like an LT guy could ride forever without paying for any new ones.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Foiler said:
17,000 miles on my metzler rear tire, down to the wear bars,,new tire should be here today

·
Registered
729 Posts
round ones that hold air.

ask 5 owners, get 5 different answers (even though there are only 3 tires that are rated for use on the back of the LT).

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
dukey33 said:
round ones that hold air.

ask 5 owners, get 5 different answers (even though there are only 3 tires that are rated for use on the back of the LT).
I bet if you ask 5 owners you would get 7 different answers...

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Razmataz said:
Do know of anybody making a claim on them? Looks like an LT guy could ride forever without paying for any new ones.
I have. My dealer will not "float" me a new tire, though. He has a small local operation. I have to buy a new one, he sends the old one back, gets his credit, then gives me mine. And just like everybody else, the warranted tire is not covered by the wearout warranty. So you actually get a credit for every other tire. It's a little bit of a hassle, but it's worked so far.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all. i am going to look at the bike tomorrow. Turns out it had a fuel leak last time the owner rode ti so it has been parked for almost two years. Have to do a little work on it but hope to have a great new (to me) bike soon :bmw: Is anyone using their LT for the daily commute? This bike will soon be my only vehicle. :)

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,023 Posts
Foiler said:
Is anyone using their LT for the daily commute? This bike will soon be my only vehicle. :)
My LT is my only vehicle & if the roads are to slick I have to borrow the wifes car. So far I have been able to ride all but five days this year.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Lee510 said:
I have. My dealer will not "float" me a new tire, though. He has a small local operation. I have to buy a new one, he sends the old one back, gets his credit, then gives me mine. And just like everybody else, the warranted tire is not covered by the wearout warranty. So you actually get a credit for every other tire. It's a little bit of a hassle, but it's worked so far.
Wow,
That sounds too good to be true. I wonder how long that will last? I may become a convert :D

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
BT-020F front bias tires, I got between 8-9000 miles. BT-020R rear reinforced bias, only changed it once and got 20,000+/- miles. It's been a while, so I'm having difficulty remembering the mileage. Some members use a Metzeler front with a Bridgestone rear. Combination seems to work well. I have Metzelers on my new to me 2005. I will probably keep a Metzeler front, but go back to the Bridgestone rear, due to differences in cost.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
great info and great forums! Thank you guys!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Boatzo said:
Wow,
That sounds too good to be true. I wonder how long that will last? I may become a convert :D
Not me. And not to start another tire war, but I had a Bridgestone rear tire de-laminate on me once. Never again. Been running Metzs since, but I may give the Avon rear a shot sometime.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Razmataz said:
Not me. And not to start another tire war, but I had a Bridgestone rear tire de-laminate on me once. Never again. Been running Metzs since, but I may give the Avon rear a shot sometime.
I read about the de-lamination of the Bridgestone tires. Weren't they radials? I know. I know. Do a search and find out. :D

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,023 Posts
Razmataz said:
I've got over 60,000 miles running the rear BT 020 tires and no problems so far. I even rode one with no air for over 150 miles & fixed the flat & rode it another 2000 + miles with no problem. :thumb:

·
Registered
47 Posts
My two bits...
After reading the threads... I bought Avons.
Also a balancer and built a tire change station.

So the Avons are going on the bike this week.

I mounted and balanced the Avon on the rear yesterday.
It took 3oz 7 grams to balance it. ( struck me as a lot)

Although I did remove 50grams of weight that BMW had put on so roughly 50% less was on the rim with the Bridgestone.

Bought the bike used with 2000 miles on it. Assuming original tires. 2003 LT
now 6700 Miles.

Will post how it works out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts