BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing tires on my K1200LT.
I thought I would solicit ideas from the forum before simply buying another set of Metzeler 880s.
The Metzeler 880 is being replaced by the Metzeler 888. Is this a better tire?
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I am replacing tires on my K1200LT.
I thought I would solicit ideas from the forum before simply buying another set of Metzeler 880s.
The Metzeler 880 is being replaced by the Metzeler 888. Is this a better tire?
Any thoughts?
If you stay within the design specifications of a 79V reinf for the rear, your choices are somewhat limited. If you liked the 880's, then the 888's would probably not be a bad choice. Everybody seems to think one mfg is better or worse than another. I tried an Avon roadrider on the front because someone else liked it and in dry it is fine but in wet, I feel it is horrible and very slippery under certain conditions. I won't buy another one of those. I guess I am just saying, what someone else likes may not suit you very well. It never hurts to ask though.

For the record, I am running the Bridgestone BT020 on the rear and am happy with it so far. Got a BT023 for the front and it was pretty noisy but handles OK.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Is there any rear tire (other than the OEM) that is rated for the weight of that bike & rider(s)?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have Metzler 888's on my bike. Have around 8,500 miles on them. Aside from the fact I did Run For The Wall and traveled 4,900 straight up highway miles in 10 days and sawed the center treads down, I've been extremely happy with them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
The Metz 888 has a 79V,

Bridgestone BT020.

Not totally sure of the Shinko 777 HD. It officially has the 79H rating and I have been told it has reinforced sidewalls so many have used them.

I think the Avon Storm 3D XM has a 79V tire. There may be one other recent addition from Avon as I think the Storm was or is being discontinued. If I left one out someone will add it in.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If your bike is pre-05 i would suggest Avon Storm 3D XM. These are great handling tires and the newer Avons seem to have much better mileage.
Leon

·
Registered
739 Posts
I am rolling Avon Storm 3d X-M that I got from American Motorcycle Tire, with free shipping and great prices. I replaced the front a while back and the back tire recently and I am really liking them; they handle the curves well and stick. I haven't tried them out in the rain yet.

·
Registered
739 Posts
My front tire does fine in the wet and rain - just haven't tested the rear tire in the rain AND I'm not going out right now in the current thunderstorm just to test it out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've only got about 1100 miles on my 777, but so far it's been an exceptional tire. I have tried to be not-so-nice to it to see how it responds, and so far it's done really well. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am rolling Avon Storm 3d X-M that I got from American Motorcycle Tire, with free shipping and great prices. I replaced the front a while back and the back tire recently and I am really liking them; they handle the curves well and stick. I haven't tried them out in the rain yet.
It's funny cuz the Avon website says no fit avail. for K1200LT

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
It's funny cuz the Avon website says no fit avail. for K1200LT
Just looked up the 99-03 on Avon's site. 2 listed.

Model: K 1200 LT (K2LT) 1999 2003
Storm 2 Ultra Front 90000001119 120/70ZR17 (58W) bw 3.5 3.50 - 3.75 118 4.6 603 23.7 3.8 546 873.6
Storm 2 Ultra Rear 90000001125 160/70R17 * 79V bw 4.5 4.25 - 5.00 166 6.5 654 25.7 6.8 513 820.8
Technical Specifications Tire Tire Service Rec Rim OW OW OD OD Depth Revs Revs
Model Position Material Tire Size Index Sidewall Rim min-max mm Inches mm Inches mm per km per Mile
Storm 3D X-M Front 90000020110 120/70ZR17 (58W) bw MT3.50 3.50 - 3.75 118 4.6 605 23.8 3.8 546 873.6
Storm 3D X-M Rear 90000020499 160/70R17 79V bw MT4.50 4.25 - 5.00 166 6.5 656 25.83 7.7 499 803

Model: K 1200 LT (K12LT) 2004 And Up

No fitment listed because radials are not recommended on the 04 and up.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
It is a tire thread. So, thanks for the input. Seems someone else beat me to the answer. The OP has a 2002 model.
Yep, if you search the proper year and model, you will find that there are certain years that the Storm 3D X-M is fitted for the LT but not the later years.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I haven't had my 2001 on the road for 3.5yrs, finally got around to fixing the crack in the cam cover on replacement used motor and putting that stupid jerk ring in behind the pressure plate (didn't see the ring with all the grease on the old motor's flywheel!

Anyhow, did a big ride yesterday in the rain.... holy cow, my back end almost passed me a number of times. Next to zero traction. My butt cheeks were puckered up super tight. >:)

The tires don't have that many miles on them and stored at room temp in my workshop. Front seems pretty good but the rear is like a hockey puck... totally useless. I think I could make it spin in 4th on a wet highway. :surprise:

What is the stickiest tire available.... I don't give a rats *** on how long it lasts as I don't want to die?

On my 04' Suzuki SV1000S, the Michelin Pilot Powers I have stick like glue in the dry and about 80% of dry in the wet. Impressive. What's with tire pressure anyway, seems some guys running 48-50psi in the rear... wouldn't that be even worse in the rain?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Simple answer.
AVONS AVONS AVONS AVONS used them since they were just storms, now using the storm XD on my LT and my RT. over 200000 miles
With all the rain we have getting in south Florida, the Avons just keep proving themselves over and over. Steady rain ,70 mph with no fear, no slip, very sure footed. Just try them and you will be hooked. I know, on the LT the mileage isn't great 8-10F,12 R, but I will take grip any day of the week.
Just my opinion. tried most other brands.

Zeke

·
Registered
739 Posts
Took my LT to the curviest roads near my house today. Nothing like riding an hour to find more than 2 curves in a row... Anyways, my Avon Storm 3d-XM tires performed perfectly. Stick the turns and track well. Accelerate out of the turn with no problem and ready to go faster. I am really liking this tire on the front and I like it on the back. The tires are made with the rain in mind but I still haven't tested them out...maybe I need to do a rain ride just to enjoy it.

I don't shy away from the rain but I don't purposefully go ride in it either.

The Avon website says they guarantee 15,000 miles if ridden normally. If you don't get 15,000 out of them, they will pro-rate money back to you. I don't know how easy this is to get or not. I need to register my tires for the warranty, or whatever it is I have to do.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Took my LT to the curviest roads near my house today. Nothing like riding an hour to find more than 2 curves in a row... Anyways, my Avon Storm 3d-XM tires performed perfectly. Stick the turns and track well. Accelerate out of the turn with no problem and ready to go faster. I am really liking this tire on the front and I like it on the back. The tires are made with the rain in mind but I still haven't tested them out...maybe I need to do a rain ride just to enjoy it.

I don't shy away from the rain but I don't purposefully go ride in it either.

The Avon website says they guarantee 15,000 miles if ridden normally. If you don't get 15,000 out of them, they will pro-rate money back to you. I don't know how easy this is to get or not. I need to register my tires for the warranty, or whatever it is I have to do.

I tried this, but the kicker is you MUST buy them from a dealer and since I do all my own tires, you know the answer. but who is to say you cant try. but i never got even close to 15k miles. but normal for me is not normal for Avon. Just think it would be a big fight to get a couple bucks from them. You will probably pay 50$ more at a dealer anyways plus install. IMHO.
Note, I like the rain, it cools me off in the hot summer months of Fla. Just saying. If I could just get rid of the cars it would be great.

Zeke

·
Registered
341 Posts
Avon claims their Cobra Cruiser tire is "high mileage". I just took one off of my Triumph T-Bird at 4000 miles. Same as the Metz, Bridgestone, and Michelin. That bike devours rear tires. Even ME880's. they aren't offering any guarantees on the Cobra. (190/60-17).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts