BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK bit of an informal poll here. I recently had a new rear tire mounted for my LT. Paid, picked up my tire, put it on, and the first long ride on father's day had a flat! Put her up on the center stand to see what happened....and figured out there was a NEW valve stem cap on my OLD stem which was leaking badly! So I get bike, myself, and my son home, and called the dealership where I had the tire mounted, asking why no new stem? Because they only do that per request! I really am shocked, no joke. NOBODY mentioned this when either dropping off or paying, nor was there anything posted anywhere in the service area about this. Talk about poor communication.
Having just moved to SD from AZ has been an eye opener in many ways, here is another I guess because in AZ they simply replace stems with new tires.
That new cap on there fooled me....... and tomorrow I find out if my new Metzler is going to be OK or not...and if I am expected to pay again. :mad:

So question is- this normal?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,065 Posts
It is normal for me as I replaced the failure prone rubber valve stems with a metal ones on my first tire change 8 years ago. Never have to change them again.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have to agree with John. I switched to more durable metal stems 5 or 6 years ago.
The BMW rubber stems have had a dismal failure record.

Sorry to hear about your particular experience. This is a rather well documented issue on this site and with BMW rubber stems in general.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JATownsend said:
I have to agree with John. I switched to more durable metal stems 5 or 6 years ago.
The BMW rubber stems have had a dismal failure record.

Sorry to hear about your particular experience. This is a rather well documented issue on this site and with BMW rubber stems in general.
I had no idea. This is my second K bike and first flat for either.

·
Cat Herder
1,585 Posts
WTF??? You always replace the valve stem. Just because the stem may only have 10k miles on it, its just free insurance that you won't have the same issue you had.
I would go back to the dealer and BITCH YOUR HEAD OFF... :)

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
jzeiler said:
It is normal for me as I replaced the failure prone rubber valve stems with a metal ones on my first tire change 8 years ago. Never have to change them again.
Yep same here. I have a few friends that I mount tires for that do NOT want metal stems (Why I can not figure out) so I just replace the rubber one EVERY time I do their tires.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
It sounds like you got caught in the cross-fire of two assumptions: the shop assumed you knew their local practice, and you assumed they would change the valve stem as happened in your previous experience. Sorry this happened, and I hope they make it right. They have a good chance to create a loyal customer here!

·
Registered
321 Posts
I cannot count how many times I have heard "I am not paying $3.00 for valve stems". When putting new tires on a customers car. That is what we charged for a set of 4. I have to assume that the dealer has heard too many people bitch so they don't put them in unless the customer asks.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
jzeiler said:
SIDEBAR: do you happen to know offhand the specs for metal stems and/or a source for them? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Rubber valve stems should be replaced with every tire changes. Cars and bikes. Period!

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
aztechmaster said:
So question is- this normal?
I don't think it is. :(

Last fall I had a new front tire installed by a local BMW dealer ( Second Wind BMW, Merrimack, NH ). After the installation and test ride, as I am paying the bill. They informed me that the pads are about 20% worn , the brake fluid is a little dark but Ok, bike checks out fine. And yes they installed a new stem without asking if a wanted to spend $3.00 more dollars.

What they did is called "service", they are not the cheapest place around, but sometimes you get what you pay for. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I know that I am being lazy, but what stems are recommended?

I have such a hard time getting to the valve stems to add Oil to my tires when they are low :rotf:

Also I have the TPMS stem caps, so does that make a difference?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Most places won't change stems unless you request it........... :cool:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,065 Posts
deputy5211 said:
SIDEBAR: do you happen to know offhand the specs for metal stems and/or a source for them? Thanks.
This is what I have Tony. They can be found in most autoparts stores as well.

Stems

·
Registered
55 Posts
This happen to my buddy on our last fall trip to West Virginia on his GL 1500. He never thinks about his valve stems either. We left him at the WV Visitors Center off of I-81, he got it fix and caught up to us by the end off the day.
I use metal stems and still replace them every 2-3 years. Its cheaper then dealing with that headache on a trip!!

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
If you look into the details for the aluminium ones (see the Selection guide, then BMW) its says K1200LT - will not fit due to the rib around the wheel... also some other BMW's are same.
I'm about to purchase the Enkei 3/4" straight ones they have listed there.
There is an Enkei 85 deg pair at the bottom of the page that looks like they might be OK, but I'm sticking with straight ones...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,065 Posts
Chris - get the straight ones. I put a 45 degree one on the front and it is a pain. Wish I had left the straight one in. Pain to change as I have a Smartire system.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts