BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BMW dealer here in Canada tells me that the only tires Bridgestone makes are the radials for the K1200lt. I want to switch from the Metzler 880's that I am currently using to the Bridgestone's, but want the bias ply's after the stories I have heard about the radial's delaminating. Do the bias ply's have a special name or code. When I go to Bridgestone's website they only show the radials. What am I missing here. The dealer tells me that the bias ply's don't exist. Can someone help me out here. Thanks. Ron Hiebert

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ron,

Try these guys:
http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SWMT&Category_Code=BT020
Go about two thirds the way down the page. They are listed as K1200lt 2005 only.
The trick you are looking for is the "B" listed in the tire size instead of the "R". ie.120/70B-17 ("B" as in Bias.)
Good luck!

Edit,
Looks as if I should learn to type faster!! At least the "target" is the same. Me thinks Bruce has probably spent a few dollars with these folks too!

·
Registered
938 Posts
The bias ply BT020 are starndard equipment on all klts that sell in the US for model year 2005.

It amazes me that a dealer for BMW doesn't know that...

I have a set on my '03 right now and they work fine..

Good Luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bruce, I am on my third set of Metezlers Which are cupping. My o5 LT has 33000 miles and all three sets have cupped. I run 48 lbs. back and 42 front. Is there any tire that I can get 10,000 to 12,000 miles without the cupping?
Mike Yager

·
Registered
346 Posts
rglassma said:
The bias ply BT020 are starndard equipment on all klts that sell in the US for model year 2005.

Good Luck
I'm in need of new front rubber for my '05 and called my dealer. They didn't know that for the '05 models BMW corporate replaced the radials with bias ply. I was told that they can't even order the bias ply! What's up with that?!?

I guess I'll order it online and ship them directly to Ray's Motorcycle Service in Plano and have him mount them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
MYAGER said:
Bruce, I am on my third set of Metezlers Which are cupping. My o5 LT has 33000 miles and all three sets have cupped. I run 48 lbs. back and 42 front. Is there any tire that I can get 10,000 to 12,000 miles without the cupping?
Mike Yager
I have a set of the BT 020 radials, and they cupped after roughly 3500 miles. I was running the recommended air pressures, and only recently have upped them.

They are completely shot at 6k miles and are being replaced this weekend with the Metzelers. I will be happy if I get 8k on the new ones!

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Try www.ascycles.com and if you can't find them on the site, give them a call.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tires

It always amazes me that the collective wisdom on this site is way higher than the dealerships, even the ones that specialize in Beemers. I appreciate the help. When I told the service guy that the BT020 was the standard tire on the 2005LT, and that I wanted it for my 99LT, he said he couldn't find them. When I e-mailed him the responses off this site, he changed his tune. Thanks again. Ron

·
Registered
938 Posts
Bias Ply BT020

Here is my recommendation:

If you can't find the bias plys anywhere on line or locally, contact bridgestone directly through their website or email [email protected] which is the sales contact on their site and ask him where you can buy them in your area.

I am sure they can point you in the right direction. So far, I am fairly pleased with them. Got about 10 - 11K on them and they seem fine. There is a little cupping because of riding conditions that I experienced on a long trip but there is still plenty of tread left on them. No slipage in wet, etc..

Good Luck...

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Bridgestones came on my 2005 LT. I put on about 4000 miles on them before I took a 5,500 mile trip out to South Dakota. At the end of the trip the tires had cupped and the handling was really funky. On the advise of my dealer, I switched to Metzler 880s and am really pleased. The bike handles much better with them than with the originals. It's really interesting to note the difference in experiences had by different owners. So far, I'm really pleased that I changed from the originals.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Keep in mind that generally Bias-Ply tires are used for heavy loads and long distances, and Radials are for alittle lighter loads and the twisties.

When I replaced my front tire (recently) I inquired about running Bias & Radial at the same time (reason was my rear still had good tread left on it and I didn't want to replace both and waste a tire, plus the additional cost).

Anyway, the awnser back was it was not suggested to run two different types.

I will say this though. I just got done with a 4000 mile ride to CCR and Beyond... Radials on my 2000LT and I was carrying a load of around 150 (besides myself), I know I was overpacked, but the ride was fine.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Old wives' tale...

LBOCEAN said:
When I replaced my front tire (recently) I inquired about running Bias & Radial at the same time (reason was my rear still had good tread left on it and I didn't want to replace both and waste a tire, plus the additional cost).

Anyway, the awnser back was it was not suggested to run two different types.
On the way back from CCR '05, while zipping through the Badlands of South Dakota, we delaminated a BT020 Radial rear tire just outside Katdoka.

After some very friendly assistance from a BMWMOA member who lives in that small burg, we had a new Metezler Bias ply mounted as a replacement at Sturgis BMW. They gave me the same 'Warning'.

But, I was 1500 miles from home with NO option. So, I ran it: Two-up with the Bushtec loaded. :eek:

Well, I'm here to tell you that if I didn't know what was back there... I wouldn't have guessed. After the usual 100 mile break-in, I ran hard and fast.

It didn't feel or handle any differently than any tire combo I have used. :D

While I am stopping short of recommending using a mix - I would not hesitate to use one!

·
Registered
628 Posts
My '05 came with the bias ply Bridgestones. The front cupped significantly by 6.5K. It was below the wear bars on the inside of the tread pattern near the center of the tire while there was plenty of rubber on the outside of each "wedge" by 8K. The rear had plenty of tread at 8K but developed raised bubbles along the outside of the tread pattern on both sides of the tire. I had a couple of people look at the rear tire and the collective wisdom was that I was looking at the early stages of tread separation. (42/48 psi) I had BMW Salt Lake replace both tires at CCR with ME 880s as I had a 4K ride home in front of me. Now at 7K, the 880s hardly look used.

·
Registered
210 Posts
rglassma said:

Good Luck

Thanks - any difference in the "collective wisdom" 42F/48R tire pressure recommendations for the bias-ply BT020 vs. the radials?

OB

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
No. Same pressures Metz and 'Stones - Radial or Bias.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Cupping

A. It is my experience that tires cup. A tad out of balance, a little off on pressure, who knows for sure, but everyso often one will cup. And when they start, they don't stop.

B. It is also my experience (only on RTs) that BT020 fronts cup worse than any. I ran a set of Metz 880 radials on my 1150 RT, got great miles, no cupping.

C. I have 12k on my '05 with original (? I'm hearing BT020s are OEM?) Metzler 880 and the REAR is cupped, makes howling noises, gonna change it out, the font looks good for another 2 or 3 thou. I'm going to go to 42/48 on the new 880s ( ran about 40/46 on these.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts