BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for new tires for my 2000 K1200LT and my current tire choice of Avon Storm 3dxm is apparently no longer available.
My understanding is that my bike should be wearing radials with the rear rated @ 79v so this what I want to buy.
I've been shopping online and can't seem to find a tire company that offers a set of tires for my bike anymore - please tell me I've missed something and this isn't true.
I really like the Avon's and this is my second set. I'm ok with another brand or model but prefer not to deviate from what is recommended by BMW and really don't want to mix different brands front/rear if possible.
Could the experts chime in with a recommendation please?
Thanks for your time and I apologize for starting another tire thread.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Have you looked for Bridgestone BT 20? I believe they have radials for the LT.

Reactions: NGABMWLT

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick resonse-I now see the Bridgestones. It shows the 79v rated rear as being a bias tire, is this ok to use with my bike? Would I even notice a difference over the radials?
Should a bias front be used with the bias rear? (Bridgestone offers the 120/70/17 in both radial & bias according to their website)

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Thanks for the quick resonse-I now see the Bridgestones. It shows the 79v rated rear as being a bias tire, is this ok to use with my bike? Would I even notice a difference over the radials?
Should a bias front be used with the bias rear? (Bridgestone offers the 120/70/17 in both radial & bias according to their website)
I am not 100% sure on the 99-04 models, but I believe they are fine with either radial or bias ply construction tires. The 05-09 models should use only bias ply tires.

I believe you are fine with either the Bridgestone or Metzeler tires on your model year LT. I would not mix bias and radial tires. This isn’t even a good idea on a car. Mixing brands front and rear is almost always fine. I prefer to run the same brand and model tire front and rear, but I have run Metz front and Bridgestone rear tires for several years now as the 880 wears long on the front and the BT020 wears longer on the rear. However, my last two Metz front tires (888, not 880) have failed with bulges due to tread delamination from the casing. I never had issue with either 880 I ran, but two consecutive 888s have failed so I won’t be buying any more of those. I will use 880s as long as they are available or use the BT020 and just deal with the faster front tire wear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the valued input - I have ordered a set of bias Bridgestones. I’m with Voyager on this - I prefer my tires to be of the same brand and model. For what it’s worth, I’ll post back on my opinion of these vs the Avons I’ve been using.
May not be of much value considering what little tire options we have left for the LT.
Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bridgestones installed and have some miles on them now - I'm happy with them. Not as happy as I was with the Avons but the Bridgestones are performing better than I expected so all is good. Little more harshness on the small road imperfections but I think that can be attributed to the bias construction versus the radials I'm used to running.
Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
These are the ones I bought and have 6000 very satisfied miles on already, and have a few 1000 more in the rear. This is also the set Kirk (of YouTube popularity - IllinoisBMWRiders) recommended. I've never had a moment these tires didn't feel solid at high speed or high lean angles. My other LT buddy now runs these as well and is happy too.

Attachments

Reactions: NGABMWLT

·
Registered
4 Posts
After 9 years with my 2000klt I am still experimenting with tires. The last rear was 777 after a 1300 miles solo trip and aboutique 4000 to Montana and backnowledge to Ne. the rear was toast still had tread but tread had separated and cracked with wide splits. Will not trust them again. Installed BTO2O rear and 888 frt. Looking to see how I like this combo as soon as I heal up from surgury for detached retina. Can not wait to put another 50k on the old girl.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
These are the ones I bought and have 6000 very satisfied miles on already, and have a few 1000 more in the rear. This is also the set Kirk (of YouTube popularity - IllinoisBMWRiders) recommended. I've never had a moment these tires didn't feel solid at high speed or high lean angles. My other LT buddy now runs these as well and is happy too.
Where did you find these prices?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Where did you find these prices?
I buy all my motorcycle tires from Rocky Mountain ATV these days. Super fast shipping too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
After 9 years with my 2000klt I am still experimenting with tires. The last rear was 777 after a 1300 miles solo trip and aboutique 4000 to Montana and backnowledge to Ne. the rear was toast still had tread but tread had separated and cracked with wide splits. Will not trust them again. Installed BTO2O rear and 888 frt. Looking to see how I like this combo as soon as I heal up from surgury for detached retina. Can not wait to put another 50k on the old girl.
It's certainly possible to get a bad one, but I've used Shinko tires on all my bikes (6 different bikes at this point). At this time I have a DL650 that I've done two 6000 mile trips fully loaded through the US and Canadian Rockies (running 705s). I currently also have a Harley Heritage Softail that runs 777s and the LT. Probably a dozen sets of different types tires (ADV, Cruiser, Dirt and High speed road tires) over the years and never a single issue.

The story I heard was that when Yokohama got out of the motorcycle tire business, this Korean company bought the business. Not sure if that's true, but I'm a believer in their products.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
I will not buy another 888 front tire. The first two 888s I ran on the front both failed between 9 and 10,000 miles with bulges due to tread separation from the casing. I have a third 888 that was sent to me as a warranty replacement (totally free, not even the normal 50% reduction so Metz seems to know they have an issue here) and I am debating on whether to both mounting it. I probably will use it since I already have it, but I probably will take it off before it hits 9,000 miles even though it will be only half worn out by then tread-wise.

I am not sure what I will run on the front, but need to look at a few options. I may go back to 880s if I can find them. I am not sure if Metz still makes them. The BT020 worked fine, but wears out almost twice as fast as the 880/888 tires. Although, if the 888s are going to fail at 9K, then the BT020 will go that far and costs a fair bit less.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I am shopping for new tires for my 2000 K1200LT and my current tire choice of Avon Storm 3dxm is apparently no longer available.
My understanding is that my bike should be wearing radials with the rear rated @ 79v so this what I want to buy.
I've been shopping online and can't seem to find a tire company that offers a set of tires for my bike anymore - please tell me I've missed something and this isn't true.
I really like the Avon's and this is my second set. I'm ok with another brand or model but prefer not to deviate from what is recommended by BMW and really don't want to mix different brands front/rear if possible.
Could the experts chime in with a recommendation please?
Thanks for your time and I apologize for starting another tire thread.
I see you ordered the Bridgestones. That is where I am currently on my 01 front and rear BT-020. Just a point of information based on your comment " My understanding is that my bike should be wearing radials". It isn't that your bike should be wearing radials as much as that the 05 and newer should not be using radials due to a front rake angle change and some possible instability. You are fine with biased, radials and I even ran a combination with no issues ( your experience may vary and I will not recommend it for obvious liability reasons even though I did it once) Even so, your choices are limited and seem to be getting smaller as brands stop making rear reinforced 79V like the 3DXM. I hope we don't come to a time where no one makes such a tire as these bikes will still go on for some time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would just stick with the Metzeler ME888. I've tried many different tires and they all wear significantly faster than the Metzelers. Even Roadsmart III, which is a 10k tire, I got only 3600 ish miles out of them.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hey There,
The tread on my 888 front just separated at 10,000 miles. How were you able to get Metzler to warranty the tire that failed on you?

Thanks,

GB

I will not buy another 888 front tire. The first two 888s I ran on the front both failed between 9 and 10,000 miles with bulges due to tread separation from the casing. I have a third 888 that was sent to me as a warranty replacement (totally free, not even the normal 50% reduction so Metz seems to know they have an issue here) and I am debating on whether to both mounting it. I probably will use it since I already have it, but I probably will take it off before it hits 9,000 miles even though it will be only half worn out by then tread-wise.

I am not sure what I will run on the front, but need to look at a few options. I may go back to 880s if I can find them. I am not sure if Metz still makes them. The BT020 worked fine, but wears out almost twice as fast as the 880/888 tires. Although, if the 888s are going to fail at 9K, then the BT020 will go that far and costs a fair bit less.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Hey There,
The tread on my 888 front just separated at 10,000 miles. How were you able to get Metzler to warranty the tire that failed on you?

Thanks,

GB
I contacted the distributor I bought them from and sent them pictures. I normally buy from American Moto Tire and I am pretty sure they are the one’s that handled my one 888 failure. AMT took care of things with Metzeler. Metzeler sent me a new 888 about a month later and did not want the defective one back and just asked that I drill a hole through the sidewall before disposing of it.

The second one failed coming back from Alaska and I wasn’t in a position to submit a claim for it easily. And, quite frankly, I did not want another Metzeler as I no longer have any confidence in them and their quality control from their factories outside of Germany. I had a rear fail that was made in Mexico if memory serves, and two fronts in a row that were made in Brazil. I never had a German made Metzeler fail.

Reactions: RockyRoad
1 - 20 of 26 Posts