BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 K1200LT that i put a lot of miles on. It seems like I am always replacing the tires. Does anyone have any information on the Michelin Commander II or the Metzler 888 and how they compare mileage-wise?

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
I get 18,000 to 20,000 miles out of my LT tires. I run the Metzler ME880 front at 42 psi & the Bridgestone BT020 rear at 48 psi. Both tires were OEM for the LT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. You are getting about twice the mileage that I am. I run the ME880s front and rear, I keep them at 36 front and 46 rear. I was looking for something that would last a little longer and came up with the ME888 and Commander II. both say they last longer. I wondered if anyone had any feedback on either of them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I run the same set up as Dave with the same tire pressures and am usually able to get a few more miles on than that, but I ride pretty conservative as well. I have started to pull a cargo trailer so my figures may come down.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
Just keep in mind that the rear tire has to be made just for the LT. Right now only Avon, Bridgestone & Metzler make rear tires for the LT. They must have the reinforced sidewall & have a rating of 79 weight & V speed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have found that the Bridgestone BT-020 on the rear works pretty good for me. I got 14,000 out of the last one so there is a brand new one on there now.

I have NOT found one for the front that I really like yet, the Bridgestone that I had on there was a bit interesting as it wanted to follow the "tar snakes", i.e. the pavement crack repairs......

·
Registered
242 Posts
As long as we are talking tires, it may help the OP also to make his decision, what tire works better in the rain, the Metzler 880 or the Bridgestone 020?
I know the best combo for mileage is 020 rear and 880 front, but what about in the wet?

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
I ride the ME880 front & BT020 rear in the rain almost as hard as I ride on dry pavement. That is after it has rained hard enough to wash the roads clean.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
The OP may not be that interested in rain performance, since he lives in California and we haven't had much for a long time....
:sun:.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The OP may not be that interested in rain performance, since he lives in California and we haven't had much for a long time....
:sun:.
Lucky for him:), He does not list his home state, so I was not sure where he lives. Clearly you are "in the know"

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,780 Posts
Lucky for him:), He does not list his home state, so I was not sure where he lives. Clearly you are "in the know"
Ahh but he does list his home state... It does not populate to the post header any longer since the new version of SW was installed. You have to go to his personal area and look at it. We have been spoiled by an earlier version of SW.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Like Dave (Saddleman) I ran the ME880 front and the BT020 rear at 42 psi front and 48 psi rear. I used the CORRECT rated tires for the beast, not just the right size but correct rating too. Nearly all riding was two up. I could easily get 15,000 miles or more out the rear and nearly 20,000 out of the front. We liked to lean too on the curvy roads on north Georgia and western NC. The riding could lean more towards "spirited" than mild.

I got about 7,000 miles out of front Bridgestone BT020 and went back to a front ME880.

The rear Bridgestone costs significantly less than the Metzeler too.

I had a few wet road "slips" with a rear Metzeler but never had one with the rear Bridgestone. Both were awful on "tar snakes".

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm on my second set of Michelin Commander II tires for my 1999LT. What a wonderful tire, good mileage and the bike feel stable around the twisties. I will recommend it all the way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im surprised nobody trying to get max life out of tires here has tried putting car tire on their LTs. I rode with a guy on a VFR that put on A LOT of miles and rode hard in the turns too without bad things to say. He said as long as you found the correct tire pressures handling would not be adversely affected and he could get 40k miles out of a tire that cost less.

I know most will say its not a good idea or they will give their opinion about something that they personally have no experience with but here are a few links to people that have done it with their bikes. I havent looked at the option in a while but her you go;

Darkside Tire Info Center

Delphi Forums Login*-*Welcome! Please log in.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Im surprised nobody trying to get max life out of tires here has tried putting car tire on their LTs. I rode with a guy on a VFR that put on A LOT of miles and rode hard in the turns too without bad things to say. He said as long as you found the correct tire pressures handling would not be adversely affected and he could get 40k miles out of a tire that cost less.

I know most will say its not a good idea or they will give their opinion about something that they personally have no experience with but here are a few links to people that have done it with their bikes. I havent looked at the option in a while but her you go;

Darkside Tire Info Center

Delphi Forums Login*-*Welcome! Please log in.
there is no car tyre that fits an lt, the tyre runs to close to the swing arm this has been discussed at length a while ago.

Reactions: GaryEm and JNW003

·
Registered
476 Posts
Linton is correct. But this topic will bring out the worst in people, so be warned.... (and before anyone accuses me of being small minded, I ran darkside on my VTX1800 for 3 years and mostly liked it, with some reservations, but it's all a moot point for the LT).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts