BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advise before i remove rear tire on 05LT with 1050miles on tire,do i repair or replace,Item is a piece of aluminum approx 3/4" wide.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Replace

If it were me I'd replace it. In a cage you have three other tire to keep you going when one blows. On your LT you don't.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Definitely replace. If it were a small screw or nail you might be OK but that rascal is Biiiiigggggggg. I know how you feel. I had to put a new rear on after about 1100 miles due to a nasty Screw. Then 2000 miles later a big old crooked nail got my rear. Talk about a bad few months.....

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
I had a small white rock embedded in mine - had to dig for it. Once I saw chord was cut and even though no air leaked I decided my life was worth a new tire.

I vote replace.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
You can save a LOT of money by buying the tire someplace other than a BMW dealer, and removing the rear rim yourself.

I picked up an allen wrench that punctured my rear tire in two places. BMW dealer charged over $200 to replace it in 2000.

A year later, I replaced both the front and rear tires for $210 and paid $40 to have them mounted.

The lug nuts on the rear rim should be torqued. Gotta remove the rear mud flap.

If you got a tool kit, the lug wrench works great for removing the lugs.

Bob

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Definitely replace... Peace of mind and you health/life have got to be worth more than the cost of new tire...

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
boxer259 said:
Need advise before i remove rear tire on 05LT with 1050miles on tire,do i repair or replace,Item is a piece of aluminum approx 3/4" wide.
If it were my tire I would replace it. :( I wouldn't trust it at 60 banked left into a sweeper. With a nail you can make a temporary repair and drive it home. Long object = slit in the tire and that is almost never repairable. With an inside patch and the cost of doing that and rebalancing it will be closer to the regular replacement. If you use a M/C accessory shop or an independent to do the new tire it might not be bad. I just did a BT020 rear at a M/C accessory shop.. Cycle Gear and the tire, mounting, computer balance, and 6% sales tax was $174.

Even if you don't get hurt the cost of replacing that tire on the road will make a planned replacement seem like a deal. JM2CW

·
Registered
99 Posts
Aw heck....at 1000 miles its already 20% worn out so you might as well replace it anyhow.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts