BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you change valve stems? Is this something that is done every tire change?
Tried searching but found nothing on this..

Thanks........Jon

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
The rubber ones should be changed every tire change. A lot of guys prefer to install the metal valve stems because they're less susceptible to cracking from uv sunlight and aging.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,118 Posts
Change them only once, but make the replacements metal ones. Then you never have to worry about them coming apart.

If you are going to stay with the rubber ones, then change them every time you mount a new tire. Your life depends on them.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Well , I change them ever tire change . I know of a few of them falling apart ,but I too cheep to put on the good ones :wave

·
Registered
989 Posts
It does happen.

It actually happened to me on the LT. Bike all packed, ready for a long weekend ride - with a flat tire. Luckily, it was still in my garage.

Nearby Honda and Yammie shops refused to handle the BMW wheel, fortunately a local independent HD garage saved the day.

Nowadays I have the equipment to mount tires myself. And spare tire stems all over. Come to think of it, on next change I should throw in a metal set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts