BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the valve stem hole size and also how thick is the hole(I need to make sure the threaded bottom part is long enough.) I was thinking approx. .033" X3/8 thick but just guessing.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Fred said:
Does anybody know the valve stem hole size and also how thick is the hole(I need to make sure the threaded bottom part is long enough.) I was thinking approx. .033" X3/8 thick but just guessing.
Not sure but I replaced mine with metal stems on the last tire change and I got passenger car tire stems... worked good. Only a few bucks.. for two.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
If you would allow me to make a recomendation. Go to your local honda dealer and purchase the 90 degree bent valve stems. They will make life so much easier, my one regret is when I changed my stems i went to the oreilys and purchased the metal chrome stems and did not find the bent stems. Since I have changed them found the bent ones are regular items at the honda dealer and will use them at the next change, it may not seem like much but will make checking and adding air much easier and therefore you will do it more often.
My nickels worth

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Fred said:
Hole diameter is .458 (standard automotive) and thickness I am not sure. If you go with metal stems be sure that they are threaded at least 3/4". this should give enough thread length.

The 90 degree stem is a very good idea since both front and rear are a pain to access when on the bike.

·
Registered
199 Posts
There was some discussion on the board about the 90 degree stems. If I recall it had to do with supporting the stem against centrifugal force loads.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
tbl160 said:
There was some discussion on the board about the 90 degree stems. If I recall it had to do with supporting the stem against centrifugal force loads.
IIRC, the discussion was about the adapters one could screw on the standard shorty stems. Maybe.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
NOGILLS2 said:
If you would allow me to make a recomendation. Go to your local honda dealer and purchase the 90 degree bent valve stems. They will make life so much easier, my one regret is when I changed my stems i went to the oreilys and purchased the metal chrome stems and did not find the bent stems. Since I have changed them found the bent ones are regular items at the honda dealer and will use them at the next change, it may not seem like much but will make checking and adding air much easier and therefore you will do it more often.
My nickels worth
There are some listed on this page. http://saber-cycle.com/store/Universal.html#331

Is this the item you are talking about?

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
changing stems

I was going to change out my stems this past weekend. The valves I bought at my local auto store looked OK. When I had the tire off, the new ones did not look right. The OEM valve stem has a "413" stamped on the bottom. The new ones I bought said "412" so I did not use them. Just FYI.

Graydude

·
Registered
336 Posts
Well Fred, I've been searching for some nice, angled, motorcycle valve stems for some time now and here's what I found.

The 90 degree jobs may have some safety issues if you don't support the stem. They are mostly intended for cruiser riders who rarely run hours or days at a time and at nowhere the speeds the LT is capable of. Even my friendly Honda parts guy would not recommend using the stems that come on the Gold Wing.

The really nice valve stems ( low profile metal with ~45 degree heads) that come on Ducatis and Triumphs at my local dealer (BMW North Dallas) WILL NOT FIT any stock LT wheel. They are available on the net in either 8mm or 10mm sizes mostly via sportbike sites. Guess what? Measured a valve stem I saved after my last tire change: 12mm on the LT stem! The BMW service manager is just as frustrated as I am that these are not available in the correct size for the LT.

So, that leaves me, and maybe you, wishing and hoping for some enterprising sole to make these parts available. If you find some, please post where the heck you can get them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts