BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new 2011 RT in Thunder Grey. First ride was very promising. I was worried about power after coming off of a K1200RS. No need - I believe BMW is quite accurate with their 110 HP claim. Anyway ... what's with the tool kit? Back when I first got into bikes, (early 70's), BMW's were known for their excellent tool kits.

So nothing in the tool kit to remove the rear wheel studs. I tried a T45 torx but it was a bit too small. Can someone please confirm the correct size torx to remove the rear wheel studs? Also, haven't looked at the oil drain bolt yet. Can someone let me know the wrench size for that? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Rear wheel mount bolts are T50. Tightened to 60 Nm. The drain is 8mm tightened to 32 Nm. The bike gets stronger and smoother as the miles go on. Ride it smartly to break in well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Beech, for the quick reply and for adding torque values. I'm in the process of building a tool kit in prep for an upcoming trip.
Discussing break in procedure is like looking at oil threads. At the risk of starting a break in thread I'm curious about your thoughts on break in. I believe in running them fairly hard up to rpm levels indicated in the manual and then letting throttle off and gearing down and then repeat. Like the manual says, preferable to do break in on hilly roads. I like to do this for 15 to 20 minute periods to get the engine up to full operating temperature and then stop and let it cool down to ambient temperature. Three or four sessions like this, running it a bit harder each time, and then I change the oil and filter - usually at about 60 to 100 miles. I then run it pretty much like I normally would only varying throttle settings more often and letting it cool down after no more than an hour ride. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I think you are on to it. The cool downs might be a little long. I feel the idea is just to not baby it. All the people I have met and talked to that have oil consumption issues confessed to babying the bike durring break-in. After the first few hundred miles I would slip in a few higher rpm runs. Also no long distance freeway riding at relatively constant speeds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts