BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip from South Florida to Suches Georgia and will be pulling my Bushtec trailer. The trailer was made in 1999 but has not been pulled previously as it was used for show by previous owner behind his Harley. (don't ask...I didn't either) anyways, although the tires have zero use, no cracks and never seen sunlight, are they safe and road worthy?
Thanks, John
West Palm Beach, Florida

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Just to be safe, I probably would opt to replace the tire(s) before leaving, otherwise I'd be thinking about it the whole way....

·
Miles of Smiles
1,055 Posts
∧∧∧∧∧∧ For peace of mind.
1999 trailer but were the tires ever replaced ?
Also, they run inner tubes, best to replace those as well.
The original Bushtec tires are 6 ply and fairly stiff. You can change them with spoons and care.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The general rule of thumb is six years old and a tire should be replaced. Those recommendations are from the tire manufacturers for heavier vehicles. So I would personally be OK with the lite load of the bike trailer going ten years if they are not dry rotted or cracked. Yours are 15 years old so let your conscience be your guide.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Thanks and I will let u know how it goes. Trailer gets painted in a week so will have to see what the budget allows.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,350 Posts
I just opted for two new tires and tubes for my Bushtec and that was only because one had 4 K more miles than the other (The newer one is now the spare). They changes tire suppliers a while back and I had gotten one of those crappy tires. It almost wore out half way through a 6 K trip and I had to pay as much for shipping as I did for the tire to Oregon. They since (two years ago) went back to the Kenda tires that wear really well. I should be good to go for several years now. About 180 shipped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts