BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new ME880 and was looking at the old one and it looks to me like the tire that is on the bike is backwards. I looked over both tires and there is no rotation mark. So, does it matter? I am including a picture, what way is right or don't worry about it? BTW, the rear is a BT-020 and it has an arrow for roatation.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
I've never seen a motorcycle tire without a direction arrow. Most of the time it is only on 1 side. Did you pooh at both sides of the tire?

The pic of the tire on the bike looks right.

·
Registered
336 Posts
They way you have it currently on the bike is the correct direction for rotation.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The front on many bikes appears backwards.
I just got another set of PR4 and looked at the front. I had to check the arrows all around as I thought they put it on wrong.
No. I had been thru' that before. Some of them just seem to look backward. For one thing, long ago, they explained why. The tires are doing different things?
Maybe I understood it at the time.
On the PR4 the arrow is actually on the tread portion.
dc

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
As mentioned, the one on the bike looks correct, and YES you MUST put them on correctly. I also have never seen a M/C tire that didn't have a direction arrow. Look again, it's there. Not only for proper tread performance, belt the belts inside the tire are designed to rotate a certain way.

If the tire is rolling "backwards", over time you may lose structural integrity; e.g., "tire failure".

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Pooh?.................I had a dealer put a front tire on backward once and I didn't realize it until I went to replace it. I was amazed because it wore out so fast and then I saw why. It makes a difference for sure...........:D

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
It can get confusing, as it is possible to mount a rear tire on the front of a motorcycle in some cases. In these instances, the "drive" arrow will be mounted backwards, pointing the opposite direction of the rotation. Many older HD police bikes were made this way, using the same tire on both front and rear wheels. In the case of an LT, this doesn't happen. The "direction" arrow simply indicates rotational direction and your front and rear tires are different sizes and have different load ratings.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
The reason for the direction arrow is so the tire can shed water correctly when riding in the rain.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, thank you everyone for your input on this. I guess I will have to go out and recheck the tire, again.
However, that is why I asked, something did not seem right, but I was not sure what it was

1 - 9 of 9 Posts