BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 LT. I replaed both tires with Metzler. They now have 10,000 miles on front and back. The back needs replacing but the front looks okay. What do you think? Should I replace both or just the back........Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would just replace the back, and wait until the front tread gets down to the replacement depth.

You don't want to get the last mile out of a tire, but there's no reason to kill a tire just because you're replacing the other one (unless you're getting ready to go on a long trip and don't want to deal with it during the ride).

It's good practice to replace any tire that is over 5 years old regardless of the depth. You can decipher the date of production on the DOT code.

Here's an example:

DOT U2LL LMLR 5107
51 Manufactured during the 51st week of the year
07 Manufactured during 2007

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,926 Posts
I usually get two to one on the rear/front change outs. I am on my 10th rear and 6th front (there were a few that were changed due to damage).

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Unless you're getting ready for a 6k mile trip, I would agree just change the back.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would not replace a tire that is still good just to have both of them on the same schedule. When I did my first couple of tire replacements, I did them both at the same time. The next time when my tires were at about the half way point, I got a puncture in the front and needed to replace it. I hated not getting all the miles out of that tire but the long term effect was that I got to split the $600 total cost of my tire change into two installments after that.

JC "Tips" Thomas

·
Registered
719 Posts
Steveford said:
I have a 2002 LT. I replaed both tires with Metzler. They now have 10,000 miles on front and back. The back needs replacing but the front looks okay. What do you think? Should I replace both or just the back........Thanks.
whats your air pressure? i used to get 18k on the rear and 22k on the front 42psi front 48 psi rear

·
Registered
335 Posts
lenny said:
whats your air pressure? i used to get 18k on the rear and 22k on the front 42psi front 48 psi rear
Wow Lenny - are you saying you are used to getting 18K and 22K miles on LT tires? If yes, I am astounded. I have never gotten more than 12K on any LT tire and that is 4 sets of ME 880's, with quite a few miles on the sidewalls over Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina twisties.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
One of the reasons that I now run the front ME880 & rear BT020 combination is that they wear more evenly. I change them both at between 16,000 & 19,000 miles & there is nothing like riding with both front & rear new tires. :D

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
tips727 said:
Wow Lenny - are you saying you are used to getting 18K and 22K miles on LT tires? If yes, I am astounded. I have never gotten more than 12K on any LT tire and that is 4 sets of ME 880's, with quite a few miles on the sidewalls over Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina twisties.
I also have got over 20K out of a set but I like to change before they need it. I just change them out between 12K and 15K. Running 48 and 42. Also got better life after I got new shocks.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
jzeiler said:
I usually get two to one on the rear/front change outs. I am on my 10th rear and 6th front (there were a few that were changed due to damage).
+1 two rears to one front for me every time!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,926 Posts
RocketRon said:
I almost always get 20k out of my tires. 12k out of the front and 8k out of the back. :histerica :histerica
Now that is one statement I can agree with!!!:)

·
Cat Herder
1,445 Posts
I am the odd man out... I like to replace the tires in pairs. The front tire always last longer but if I am going to work on the bike I want to do everything all at one time.

They are both new so they roll nicely in the corners and I like the smooth cornering with fresh rubber... NOW if you are going to super slab it all the time then just replace the rear then the front when needed.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
RocketRon said:
I almost always get 20k out of my tires. 12k out of the front and 8k out of the back. :histerica :histerica
That is the most realistic explanation I have seen yet for 20k on a set of tires... at least as far as my experience goes... :histerica

·
Registered
47 Posts
saddleman said:
One of the reasons that I now run the front ME880 & rear BT020 combination is that they wear more evenly. I change them both at between 16,000 & 19,000 miles & there is nothing like riding with both front & rear new tires. :D
I have a horribly cupped Bridgestone front, but the rear is fine.(4500 miles) I think I'll try the Metzler front as well. Any adverse handling issues ?
Thanks, Jeff

On a side note, EVERY Bridgestone I've tried has cupped,(front) even on my ZRX 1200. I now hate 'em.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I have had Metzelers, Avons, and Bridgestones all cup on the front. THis has occurred on my 99, my 00, and both of my 05s. Is it inevitable?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have not used anything but Metzlers and the first three sets had the cupping problem, more front than rear. They would get pretty noisy, but didn't affect handling. When I was having the fourth set mounted, I asked the mechanic, a GS rider, about it and he said that BMW recommended air pressure levels are about 5 pounds low, front and back. His opinion was that those recommendations are to assure the softest ride possible but the low air pressure caused the cupping. I tried his recommendation. I have had no cupping in either the fourth set or the fifth set of tires and the ride is smooth enough for me.

I am a believer.

JC "Tips" Thomas

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
So, Tips, what pressure do you use in front and back?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I ran 46 psi front,48 rear and the cupping is bad enough(front only) that it DOES affect handling. No cupping with Metzlers, just 'Stones.
I have found I tend to trail brake into corners a little more than I probably "should" ,and seem to remember reading that cupping can be a lot worse from braking while NOT upright. Darned Push Mountain turns. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I run 42/48 (F/R) and seem to always have cupping.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts