BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
55 Posts
Many folks prefer to spend the premium for tires that will last a very long time, and a lot of those same folks also dislike either pulling their wheels and getting new tires installed or turning their bike over to the dealership to install their tires.

All the current available rubber for our bikes is pretty damn good, for most.
I’ve run the Michelin PR4 Metzeler O1’s 2 sets of Pirelli’s.
Presently I’m running the Dunlop 4’s, and love em, what some don’t realize is that the Dunlop 4’s has a single ply front tire which allows the big RT in providing IMHO more accurate feedback while being a bit more supple compared to all of the 2-ply fronts I’ve run on my ‘16 RT, the rear is a 2-ply that super stable and quiet, but do I think it’ll last as long as a Michelin 6, probably not, but time will tell…
Hi, Curious which older Mich. PR versions you ran (and others have run previous to PR 5 & 6’s).
On my ‘06 RT I’ve run the Original Roadsmart, Michelin PR 2, 3 & 4 (ok in dry, so-so in wet) and currently run Metzeler O1’s, which I find best in both dry and wet conditions. More confidence inspiring overall.
Thanks

· Premium Member
903 Posts
Hi MtnRider... Also, the sidewall on radial tires flex more than a bias ply so they don't have the ratings needed in that other forum where I belong... though I am reading all about "Post 2013 RTs" because I have been considering one for a while.

· Registered
7 Posts
My recently purchased 2017 RT is wearing Michelin Road 5 tires. I'd estimate they have only a few thousand miles of use. This is my first experience with the Road 5 and I'm finding them less confidence inspiring than the Dunlop Roadsmart IV's on my 2016 RS.

Perhaps different tire pressure than the recommend 36 front / 42 rear will make an improvement.

So for now I prefer the Dunlop Roadsmart IV over the Michelin Road 5

Just my two cents worth.....

· Registered
'21 R1250RT
725 Posts
My recently purchased 2017 RT is wearing Michelin Road 5 tires. I'd estimate they have only a few thousand miles of use. This is my first experience with the Road 5 and I'm finding them less confidence inspiring than the Dunlop Roadsmart IV's on my 2016 RS.
It is a mistake to compare an RS and its traditional forks with an RT sporting the telelever front end. Apples and oranges really. Even the same tyres will leave the bikes feeling quite different to one another.

· Registered
R1200RT
7 Posts
I decided to give the Bridgestone T32GT a try earlier this summer.
Couldn't be happier.

They are very confidence inspiring (let's just say that 100% of the thread is used ;-) ).
I've ridden quite a few sports bikes before (I just sold my last one - an Aprilia Tuono V4 - a few days ago) so I tend to ride rather aggressively in twisties.
I like the T32GT ability to turn in quickly and neutrally. They are not "twitchy" but still very responsive. And they are quiet.

Haven't had the occasion to ride a lot in the wet but they are supposed to be much improved specifically in this area over the latest version (aren't they all? :) ).

Last but not least: Here in Canada, they were like 30% cheaper than the Michelin. Haven't ridden on the Road 6 but I wasn't impressed with the scalloping I experienced with the PR4GT.

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
55 Posts
I've always had the Metzler Roadtec o1's on my 2019 RT but for my last set thought I'd give the Michelin Road 4GT's a go and I'm glad I did. I have not ridden with them in the rain but they are great in hot dry summer conditions here in Central Texas. Very confidence inspiring even when pushing into a corner at speed.
Two questions;
  • From an earlier reply of mine in this thread, I mentioned preferring the Metz. Sportec 01 as being more “planted” and confident feeling than Mich. Roads in the wet. Any update on your Road 4 in wet riding?
  • I’ve always been unclear on choosing a GT vs “non” GT rear tire on an RT. Both the Michelin Road versions and Cont. Road Attacks offer these option.
Any thoughts or experience from anyone on the above?
Thanks

· Registered
7 Posts
I have ridden both Road's (1-5) on my K13s and was happy enough to put some Road 6GT's on my new to me 2015 R1200RTP. Other than the tires making a helluva racket (sensitive to road surface and front is very load when leaned over now), I have over 11,000 km on the tires and would estimate another 2,000 km before they will need to be replaced. Only ridden on long trips, solo but panniers and 40 l dry bag full. None of the scalloping that I had experienced on the K13s and lots of heavy rain and hot weather experience, always confidence building. Happy enough that I don't think I will change - the premium of the Michelins is not worth the uncertainty a new tire brand would bring.

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
55 Posts
I have ridden both Road's (1-5) on my K13s and was happy enough to put some Road 6GT's on my new to me 2015 R1200RTP……. and lots of heavy rain and hot weather experience, always confidence building. Happy enough that I don't think I will change - the premium of the Michelins is not worth the uncertainty a new tire brand would bring.
Hi,
Good to hear you've had substantial & diverse weather experiences. Can you speak to those past versions vs the Road 6 differences & improvements re; overall wet performance, steering feel, grip, brakin, etc?
Thanks again!

· Registered
7 Posts
For me, one significant area of improvement for me is the progression of wear - the higher number, the greater the wear. The road 4 felt a little insecure under hard breaking at the front - this wasn't the case with the 5 or 6's (although I am riding the 6's on a different machine). Wet performance is trickier as I road trip (never get repeated conditions) and road conditions (condition of pavement, drainage and rain intensity) will play a large role in my confidence under such conditions. I have ridden through thunderstorms, gales and blizzards - as time goes on my confidence with the tires has increased my confidence under such conditions - so I can only say that wet weather performance is better than my experience with Bridgestones and Dunlops. With respect to steering feel and turn in, I have gotten used to the profile of the Michelins, but think other brands offer more lively steering. I am riding on the road, so I wouldn't suggest these (or any tires) are being put near their limits at any time when I am in control. Hope this helped - opinions on tires is like opinions on batteries, tire pressures or politics...

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
55 Posts
For me, one significant area of improvement for me is the progression of wear - the higher number, the greater the wear. The road 4 felt a little insecure under hard breaking at the front - this wasn't the case with the 5 or 6's (although I am riding the 6's on a different machine). Wet performance is trickier as I road trip (never get repeated conditions) and road conditions (condition of pavement, drainage and rain intensity) will play a large role in my confidence under such conditions. I have ridden through thunderstorms, gales and blizzards - as time goes on my confidence with the tires has increased my confidence under such conditions - so I can only say that wet weather performance is better than my experience with Bridgestones and Dunlops. With respect to steering feel and turn in, I have gotten used to the profile of the Michelins, but think other brands offer more lively steering. I am riding on the road, so I wouldn't suggest these (or any tires) are being put near their limits at any time when I am in control. Hope this helped - opinions on tires is like opinions on batteries, tire pressures or politics...
Thanks for the reply and good to hear this about the road 5 & 6. Yours is pretty much my experience as well with the Road 4. I may be wrong, but believe there’s something synonymous with softer, more supple, reduced longevity tires, providing more feedback, better grip, and confidence. I’ll always take feedback, control (i.e. safety) along with increased (faster) wear in a motorcycle tire over longevity. Life’s too precious.
Best and thanks again.

· Registered
226 Posts
Two questions;
  • From an earlier reply of mine in this thread, I mentioned preferring the Metz. Sportec 01 as being more “planted” and confident feeling than Mich. Roads in the wet. Any update on your Road 4 in wet riding?
  • I’ve always been unclear on choosing a GT vs “non” GT rear tire on an RT. Both the Michelin Road versions and Cont. Road Attacks offer these option.
Any thoughts or experience from anyone on the above?
Thanks
No, not done any riding in the wet yet, summer is pretty dry here in Central TX.
I went with the GT as my understanding was, for the weight of our bikes it would help with durability. I love my Michelin GT 4's and don't plan to go back to Roadtec 01's.

· Registered
2018 R1200RT
55 Posts

Perhaps different tire pressure than the recommend 36 front / 42 rear will make an improvement.

So for now I prefer the Dunlop Roadsmart IV over the Michelin Road 5

Just my two cents worth.....
Curious if or anyone has experience with the Roadsmart 3 vs 4 in wet riding, especially over slippery surfaces.
I recently sold my 2006 RT with Metzler Roadtec 01 and bought a 2018 RT which came with the Roadsmart 3.
While I like many aspects of the Roadsmart 3, I have noticed the rear tire does not react particularly well in turns to slippery surfaces (painted road marking, manhole covers). Definitely notice loss of grip.
I never had an issue with the Roadtec 01 in this regard, and curious how (if) the Roadsmart 4 may differ.

This may be a little “nerdy”, but looking at the rear Roadsmart 3 vs 4, the outer shoulder of the 3 ( middle of the outer tread sipes) have raised a rubber segment interrupting the drainage sipe.
They look like (but aren’t) wide “tread wear indicators”. The 4 tread looks completely different, with long, continuous sipes, and for the most part) doesn’t have rubber segments.
The 4 apparently has a different tread compound, but wondering if these segments were removed to resolve the traction loss I’m experiencing.

Roadsmart 3.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Roadsmart 4.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Hubcap

· Registered
178 Posts
Following

· Registered
288 Posts
Following
Hi Craig,..., I mean this to be helpful, but you don't have to type "Following" to old threads (which needlessly brings them back up for everybody). If you want to know when something changes in a thread, go to the top of the page and click the blue "Follow" button to the right of the thread title. Then, it will be in "your" followed threads that you can refer to anytime in the future, even years from now, and/or you can elect to receive e-mails to tell you when something is new in a thread you're "following". Your current method doesn't do a thing other than temporarily move the thread to the top of the subject list and highlight it until You read it again. With nothing useful added to the discussion it's just a bother for everybody else. Thanks for your consideration.

· Registered
275 Posts
I’ve been using the Roadsmart 4’s on my 2016 RT, and found them to grip really well in the wet, the front steers lightly and positive, the rear has not kicked out during tight entries on wet or a handful of throttle exiting wet corners. Quite nice really. And in the dry they’re quiet and very grippy.

· Registered
2016 BMW R1200RT
301 Posts
I'm on my second set of Roadsmart III's and although I don't ride extensively in the rain, when I have been out in wet conditions, they have always behaved very acceptably.

· Registered
BMW R1200RT, 2015
50 Posts
Hi GoldenWest,
I agree 100%, I have Michelin PilotRoad4 and I have that same feeling of slipping in curvy areas in wet weather with some speed (it happened to me today in the road going to Cabo da Roca, Cascais). It doesn't scare you, but it takes a certain percentage of the pleasure out of it!
It is also true that I have the pressure of the tyres for a loaded commuting situation even when I drive alone but, that is how I like to feel the bike (2,5 bar ft and 2,9 bar rear).
My bike '15 r1200rt

21 - 40 of 40 Posts