BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need to get tires for my 2018 RT.

Dunlop Roadsmart 4’s or the considerably more expensive Michelin Road6 GT’s? Vote once vote often!

Seriously though, I haven’t been much of a foul weather rider but now that I’m getting close to retiring I’d like to spend more time on the bike and further.
Currently still has the original Metzler’s on it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've always had the Metzler Roadtec o1's on my 2019 RT but for my last set thought I'd give the Michelin Road 4GT's a go and I'm glad I did. I have not ridden with them in the rain but they are great in hot dry summer conditions here in Central Texas. Very confidence inspiring even when pushing into a corner at speed.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R 1250 RT, 2020 BMW R 1250 GSA, 2014 HD FLHTK, 2005 Honda Goldwing
96 Posts
Presently have the M Road GT 5's on the RT. If the new GT 6's are as good or even better, as has been suggested, it will be a no brainer. Superior traction in dry and wet conditions wins over mileage any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

Have no experience with Dunlop Roadsmart 4's.

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
214 Posts
I've got Michelin Road 6 GTs on the way to replace these Road 5 GT's.

These have 12K (overwhelmingly high-speed super slab) miles on them in the last 12 months. As you can see there is over 1mm of tread depth before the wear bars remaining. The front tire is starting to show some scalloping and turn-in is slightly affected (noticeable but not objectionable yet).

I have been extremely pleased with the handling in wet and dry conditions. (Including light snow in Colorado during a coast-to-coast ride.)

Just another data point.

Larry
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
161 Posts
I've got Michelin Road 6 GTs on the way to replace these Road 5 GT's.

These have 12K (overwhelmingly high-speed super slab) miles on them in the last 12 months. As you can see there is over 1mm of tread depth before the wear bars remaining. The front tire is starting to show some scalloping and turn-in is slightly affected (noticeable but not objectionable yet).

I have been extremely pleased with the handling in wet and dry conditions. (Including light snow in Colorado during a coast-to-coast ride.)

Just another data point.

Larry
View attachment 179706 View attachment 179705
12,000 miles? Crazy. Maybe I need to try the Michelins next. What pressure were you running in the front to make it last so long?

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
214 Posts
12,000 miles? Crazy. Maybe I need to try the Michelins next. What pressure were you running in the front to make it last so long?
I have been running 36/37 psi in the front and 43/44 psi in the back. I am about 190 lbs. in riding gear and normally have ~30 lbs. of luggage/gear on the long rides.

Larry

·
Registered
2022 R1250RT Racing Blue
36 Posts
I've got 93K on my 2017 RT-P (actually ridden in P-mode ;-)) and have been on the Road 4 and 5GTs. The dry performance is outstanding, the wet performance got better from the 4 to the 5 and I hear the 6 is even better. My parter's been rolling the 6 on his 2019 RT-P and loves them. We're in the Seattle area and ride every day there's no snow or ice on the ground, so we get plenty of miles in the wet. Mileage has been great too. I would have to look at my spreadsheet, but pretty sure we're getting somewhere around 10k per tire give or take. I'll check the numbers tomorrow and post a reply.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Many folks prefer to spend the premium for tires that will last a very long time, and a lot of those same folks also dislike either pulling their wheels and getting new tires installed or turning their bike over to the dealership to install their tires.

All the current available rubber for our bikes is pretty damn good, for most.
I’ve run the Michelin PR4 Metzeler O1’s 2 sets of Pirelli’s.

Presently I’m running the Dunlop 4’s, and love em, what some don’t realize is that the Dunlop 4’s has a single ply front tire which allows the big RT in providing IMHO more accurate feedback while being a bit more supple compared to all of the 2-ply fronts I’ve run on my ‘16 RT, the rear is a 2-ply that super stable and quiet, but do I think it’ll last as long as a Michelin 6, probably not, but time will tell…

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
170 Posts
I got 10K miles out of my first set of Road 6 GTs on my MY22. They still had just about 1/32" left to the center wear bars on the rear tire, which was the most worn vs the front. I'm sure I could have got near 11K-11.5K out of them if I waited until they hit the wear bars.

Ran spec psi which was displayed from the pressure sensors. Weigh 175 lbs and carried weight in the side bags on a 6M trip plus lighter weight on shorter length rides. On the new set, I'm now running 3-4 psi less in the back and 1psi more in the front to get a feel for the wear patterns.

Overall opinion,, excellent tires (reason I purchased another set) and am glad I removed the Metzlers after 2K that came on the bike.

Pictures of worn Road 6 GT vs new

Footwear Shoe Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber
Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Snow

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm on my fourth set of the Michelin Pilot Road series tires, and couldn't be happier with them. Like others have said, handling in the twisties at speed is remarkable, for an all-weather tire. On my RT or on my R1200R, I've never once lost traction in the rain even for a moment. I've gotten good longevity (12k out of a front and rear, running pressures of 38F and 42R, mostly 1-up, I'm 190lbs and maybe 20lbs of gear). Their dry performance is good, and the safety factor in the rain is priceless to me. Just my 2 cents. I will say I have not tried the Pilot Road 6 yet.

Reactions: Randyjaco

·
Registered
8 Posts

Dunlop Roadsmart 4’s or the considerably more expensive Michelin Road6 GT’s? Vote once vote often!

Seriously though, I haven’t been much of a foul weather rider but now that I’m getting close to retiring I’d like to spend more time on the bike and further.
well, asking this question is like asking "what's your favorite flavor of ice cream?" haha. Here goes. I've only ever ran Michelins on my K1600 GTL. I ran PR4s forever and recently went with the Road 6 GTs. VERY HAPPY with them so far. Handle very well in the twisties. Michelin claims about 15-20% increase in mileage but I won't be able to validate that for a while as I'm just under a 1000 miles on this set. I will also rave about Michelin's wet weather handling. I've ridden the PR4s in horrendous down pours and the performed superbly so I have no doubt these Road 6GTs will do just as well. I'm sold on them! Hope this helps. :cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts

Good discussion of the Michelin's at

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've ridden in nasty weather on Road 5s on a Tracer 900 and the grip was excellent. I've worn out the factory installed Road 5s on the '22 RT after 5500 miles (typical mileage for me) with the front at the wear bars on the sides. I've got Road 6s on the RT now and I'll bump up the front air pressure to 38 psi. F9 Ryan's explanation is spot on (and entertaining!). I like a neutral handling tire and I can't say enough how well they perform in the wet.

Good luck in your choice!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts