BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of all the things to happen on a holiday weekend....I was riding in the mountains of New Hampshire(Littleton) and stopped at one of the scenic views stops and was putting the LT in the pic when I noticed a bulge in my rear tire. So I basically freak out and baby it back to my hotel. Got out my Anonymous book and looked up dealers...well there ain't any close by.
My options appear to be very limited

call a wrecker and haul it to Merrimack NH(closest dealer 120miles)
baby it to the dealer
would a honda/harley be able to change the tire?

Thanks Guys

Attachments

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Of all the things to happen on a holiday weekend....I was riding in the mountains of New Hampshire(Littleton) and stopped at one of the scenic views stops and was putting the LT in the pic when I noticed a bulge in my rear tire. So I basically freak out and baby it back to my hotel. Got out my Anonymous book and looked up dealers...well there ain't any close by.

baby it to the dealer

Thanks Guys
Limp over to the deep south of Vermont?
I've a set of Metz's you can have for cost and I'll help you mount.
Sending a PM....

Addendum: just realized that MaxBMW NH is closer to you; but the offer still stands.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

baby it to the dealer

Thanks Guys

A Honda or Harley dealer might be able to change the tire IF they had one rated for the LT but because of the rear wheel construction, they may not be able to balance it without some type of adapter.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
A Honda or Harley dealer might be able to change the tire IF they had one rated for the LT but because of the rear wheel construction, they may not be able to balance it without some type of adapter.
Wheel can be balanced using standard cones on a static balancer.

Robert

·
Registered
1,300 Posts

baby it to the dealer

Thanks Guys
They should be able to change the tire if they have one in the right size and load rating. I think that there are some Harleys that use the 79V load rating.

Robert

Reactions: tvguy

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Wheel can be balanced using standard cones on a static balancer.

Robert
I know the front can but why do I read threads about people having to buy or make an adapter for balancing the rear? Beech makes and sells them.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I know the front can but why do I read threads about people having to buy or make an adapter for balancing the rear? Beech makes and sells them.
I use the cones on mine with a Harbor Freight balancer. Takes time but works fine.

Robert

Reactions: Flynn

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I use the cones on mine with a Harbor Freight balancer. Takes time but works fine.

Robert
I have been thinking of getting the HF balancer but had not yet because i don't have " the adapter" I hear people mention. If it needs nothing else, I may just go ahead and get it.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
If you buy one please do a write up here. I have heard some folks were not happy with them. It does not have to be wheel/spoke truing accurate to balance a wheel. If you have large enough cones I can see where they would work but I like my five bolt 120mm bolt circle balance adapter. :wink:

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If you buy one please do a write up here. I have heard some folks were not happy with them. It does not have to be wheel/spoke truing accurate to balance a wheel. If you have large enough cones I can see where they would work but I like my five bolt 120mm bolt circle balance adapter. :wink:
Beech, will your adapter handle the three hole R80GS rear also? If so I want one.

Robert

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Careful at the Harley dealer. One of the Harley's uses the same size rear tire which they will have in stock. It is not rated for the LT. No matter what they try to convince you of if it fits any Harley, it's not rated for the LT.

·
Registered
183 Posts

baby it to the dealer

Thanks Guys
Call some shops ahead of time and see if they have one (correctly rated). If they can't balance it see if they carry dynabeads or some other internal balancer. While it's not good to ride on it if you take it easy you should be able to get there.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I have been thinking of getting the HF balancer but had not yet because i don't have " the adapter" I hear people mention. If it needs nothing else, I may just go ahead and get it.
I just went out to the shop and rechecked the rear with the HF cones, fit fine. All they have to do is hold the wheel centered on the shaft, not a big or precise job. I also have a half dozen of other cones of various sizes for my various bikes. Hope this helps.

Robert

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Appreciate all the replies but made it to Max BMW.....already being worked on

·
Registered
29 Posts
Glad you went to max. I have found them much cheaper for tires and most other service than the Other NH dealer.
Rick

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I just went out to the shop and rechecked the rear with the HF cones, fit fine. All they have to do is hold the wheel centered on the shaft, not a big or precise job. I also have a half dozen of other cones of various sizes for my various bikes. Hope this helps.

Robert
Thanks Robert. I ordered an Ebay spare rear wheel and have a BT-20 in transit so I can get one ready when it is time. I didn't go with the HF balancer but one that had reasonable reviews on Amazon. Hoping it is just a little higher quality than HF but you never can tell by a picture.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QT26D6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It looked well made with decent reviews and the cones looked like they would fit the rear of the LT without any adapter ( Calibrated eyeball). It rolls very freely, bubble leveler and easily found what would be expected as the heavy spot on the rim.

Sorry Beach, I won't be needing one of your adapters after all. ;)

Only thing it didn't come with was the 3mm Allen to lock the cones. 1 point off for that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
That balance machine looks great, superior to HF by a long shot. I use to make these things but I can't beat the current crop prices. On the photo above the flange is a tiny bit under 50mm. The BMW adapter is a cup that goes over it and has a 15mm hole in it for the cone shaft and to be captured by the cones. If you have a lathe, take a disk of aluminum bore out a 50mm hole about 3/4" deep and then drill a 15mm hole through the whole thing. You now have an adapter.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200
1 - 20 of 32 Posts