BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to change wheel weights to beads i want to confirm propper tire pressures with metzler tires.i ride about 50/50 one up two up

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
going for a ride this morning put in 42f 46r for now will do beads toworrow thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
bobst2 said:
going to change wheel weights to beads i want to confirm propper tire pressures with metzler tires.i ride about 50/50 one up two up
The recommendation I have seem most often here is 42F/48R. I have used that combination for 4 years now and it seems to work fine with little cupping. The ride is a little harsher than using the BMW recommendations, but it works for me.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Voyager said:
The recommendation I have seem most often here is 42F/48R. I have used that combination for 4 years now and it seems to work fine with little cupping. The ride is a little harsher than using the BMW recommendations, but it works for me.
That's right on! Including the info on the slightly harsher ride. (LT fourm wisdom for years.)

TJ (bridgestone engr) said ride for max load (2-up) use max pressure that is on the side wall of the tire. One up would be max pressure -2psi. And don't put any stuff in the tire.

That's pretty close to what we've been saying here. Some will do 42f/50r with max load on a trip. Do not exeed the max pressure.

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
mwnahas said:
That's right on! Including the info on the slightly harsher ride. (LT fourm wisdom for years.)

TJ (bridgestone engr) said ride for max load (2-up) use max pressure that is on the side wall of the tire. One up would be max pressure -2psi. And don't put any stuff in the tire.

That's pretty close to what we've been saying here. Some will do 42f/50r with max load on a trip. Do not exeed the max pressure.
And remember that the max pressure is COLD. If you set the pressure with the tire "hot" you will have too low a pressure.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I don't know so I am asking.
What are beads and what does it do for your riding? Someone even asked me if I used nitrogen in my tires all this is new to my riding ears. Clue me in fellers. Thanks.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
billsmith said:
What are beads and what does it do for your riding? Someone even asked me if I used nitrogen in my tires all this is new to my riding ears. Clue me in fellers. Thanks.
Bill - do a quick search on Dynabeads or Dyna Beads. Some swear they work - others not so much. Debate'll be around as long as tires are round!!! :)

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
billsmith said:
They are little ceramic beads that you place inside your tires. They are supposed to replace traditional wheel weights. I have never used them and can't say for sure if they work or not, but I am an engineer and am VERY skeptical. The only thing close to a controlled test that I am aware of was conducted back in October of 2006 by Motorcycle Consumer News. I don't recall the details any more, but I believe they used a dynamic wheel balancer to test balance with standard wheel weights, without weights and with the beads. The conclusion was that the beads did not work. That is good enough for me.

Nitrogen actually does have some very minor benefits, but those are far outweighed by the cost and the fact that you can't easily find nitrogen when you need to add pressure to your tires.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have used DynaBeads for about 2 years now and have to say that I have no vibration, a really comfortable feel to the bike and the wear is about the same as with conventional weights.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just went to beads on my '05. I have no complaints and I ride it like I stole it.

I had the beads in when I recently did our clubs (BMWNEF) Sport Touring School at the Jennings GP track in N. Fl. Did a lot of equipment dragin' but had no wobbles or out of balance situations going into or out of turns.

If you change your own tires the beads eliminate any other balance method.

BTW, BMW Daytona ONLY used Dyna-beads to prevent damage to customer's wheels.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
RiderRay said:
I have used DynaBeads for about 2 years now and have to say that I have no vibration, a really comfortable feel to the bike and the wear is about the same as with conventional weights.
+1

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Voyager said:
They are little ceramic beads that you place inside your tires. They are supposed to replace traditional wheel weights. I have never used them and can't say for sure if they work or not, but I am an engineer and am VERY skeptical. The only thing close to a controlled test that I am aware of was conducted back in October of 2006 by Motorcycle Consumer News. I don't recall the details any more, but I believe they used a dynamic wheel balancer to test balance with standard wheel weights, without weights and with the beads. The conclusion was that the beads did not work. That is good enough for me.

Nitrogen actually does have some very minor benefits, but those are far outweighed by the cost and the fact that you can't easily find nitrogen when you need to add pressure to your tires.
Now I know.
Voyager, your explanation and the facts have quenched my curiosity. Two observations though Nitrogen instead of air that's an easy conclusion. I agree I would not do it cost and convenience. And the beads I am not going there either. As a novice what if you put too many or not enough beads into the tire? OK what about the warranty? I once used fix a flat in some tires on a '76 caddy the chemical caused the some type of reaction where rust built up between tire and rim. Next to go was the balance and some time later it was the alignment. Good learning experience. I think one reason we spend so much on these toys is because they have been well engineered and tested so what science do I have to make crucial alterations with no basis to back me up. Thanks again Voyager.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I usually run my Metzlers at 48 front and rear. In the past, I usually get 10-12K.

However, my last rear only got a little over 7k. :-(

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
RVB1019 said:
I usually run my Metzlers at 48 front and rear. In the past, I usually get 10-12K.

However, my last rear only got a little over 7k. :-(
I bet it was a run 7K though, eh? :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts