BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to how this system works and just would like to know......

To begin about a month ago looked at the PSI on the screen and the back tire was blank, didn't think much of it since I had checked the tires before leaving so I continued riding. At a stop I physically checked PSI, 40 and after leaving checked via screen it read 40.
About 2 weeks ago check PSI before leaving, all is well, about 50 miles down the road checked in on read out, again all is well....So continuing on down the road and I get an alarm red triangle look to see what it was and sure enough it was the rear tire sensor....stopped and checked the PSI, 42. later in the ride it fixed itself. I have even had both tires to show blank on the screen read out.

The problem is not the tire nor the tire PSI, it's the monitoring system
Is there a battery in the device? if so can it be replaced.....If the device needs replacement can you use a non BMW sensor, as they want close to $300 per? How does it work, Bluetooth?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
The sensors are powered by little coin batteries, hard-wired to the sensors, if I understand things correctly. Wrong or no readings are signs that the batteries may be going flat. Others, with more experience, will chime in here, so stay tuned.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Probably sensor battery. Dealer has a tool that can check battery status if you want to be sure.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sensors are powered by little coin batteries, hard-wired to the sensors, if I understand things correctly. Wrong or no readings are signs that the batteries may be going flat. Others, with more experience, will chime in here, so stay tuned.
So the batteries are changeable?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, even though they are not meant to be. There are some videos on YouTube showing you how. Do a search as they are sometimes some good Chinese Sensor copies available at less than a $100 (BMW ones are $200+).

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
172 Posts
@Boxflyer has a video re: TPMS and also a lot of experience with aftermarket TPMS sensors which you can utilize with BMW RT-rims.

Personally I use the Autel MaxiTPMS TS401 tool as it works with the BMW sensors as well as all the other vehicles that we own.

This tool will both activate the sensor and also read and decode it's reply - which indicates the Sensor ID, current sensed pressure, temperature, frequency and current battery level (OK or Not OK).

Good Luck!

Larry

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Here is where to get bmw ones for $120. No need for the tire installation kit if you heat the nut to soften the blue loctite in there. 9Nm torque, not much. Make sure you get the ones for your bike. Check the pictures at MAX BMW parts fiche. Changing the batteries is a nifty idea, but if you blow the job and a shop installs the tires for you, you're in for a hassle. A GS-911 and a
This tire pressure monitor stimulator works with the bmw units and the GS-911. I can first hand testify to that.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
How old are the sensors in the wheels?

Did you add any wireless accessories or wired accessories with cable runs running along the entire frame of the bike? This can cause interference.

On average sensors last about 10 years. Best to get a tpms reader with information readout. Don’t get those cheap ones that only wake up sensors and have status lights. They are good only if your relearning the sensors when rotating tires for automobiles. Last option is go to a dealership or a reputable motorcycle shop to test the sensors.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also have an '18 model and dread eventually having to deal with the TMPS batteries. I most likely will let the dealer handle it as I want it done right with reputable parts. I'm not sure if the batteries wear quicker with more miles or is it purely a time in service issue.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Nanosour, 500$ for the monitors, 500+ for new tires at a dealer, 400$ for labor (three hours). Total way over 1300$. I have folks buy tires on line for 250 to 400, sensors for 250 and labor is 60$, total ...660$ about. Some folks have had good luck with 20$ sensors from china. It is a mixed bag though and I would not risk it unless you change your own tires. And have the electronics to match the senders to the bike computer. Beemerboneyard used to sell these sensors for half of BMW retail, until they got the word from bmw to stop. The senders from bmw were 140$ 2.5 years ago, why so much now when a car sender is about 45$. Who is messing with the poodle here. There has to be a wall with BMW parts pricing. It is much the same in BMW cars too.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help guys....

Was hoping that this would be an easy/inexpensive fix but it IS a BMW
This seems to me like an accessory that I really don't need......I mean after all I rode MCs for 40-50 years without the TPMS.
I'll probably get it fixed before my next adventure but right now I have other things that need that 300-400$

Again..... Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the help guys....

Was hoping that this would be an easy/inexpensive fix but it IS a BMW
This seems to me like an accessory that I really don't need......I mean after all I rode MCs for 40-50 years without the TPMS.
I'll probably get it fixed before my next adventure but right now I have other things that need that 300-400$

Again..... Thanks
It's a simple matter to replace the batteries. The only pain is digging out the epoxy originally used to seal the battery in place. My replacement batteries have been going for three years now. In the second half of my video I show the whole process:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts