BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive design Gauge Motor vehicle Speedometer Font

My bike have tpms show on dash. But my tire still have 5000 miles to go. I talk with my Machanic told me to wait until new tires replacement. Save for labor. Anyone have any suggestions for this situation

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Manually check your pressures before you ride.
If the display bothers you, cover it with tape and ignore it.
Your mechanic is giving you good advise.
Wait until you need to replace tires and then replace the sensor at the same time.

This is NOT a big deal. Just treat this as though you were on a bike without all the bells and whistles we have today.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Do you know aftermarket TPMS can program? The OEM part $200+ each. How long for battery of TPMS?
Do a search on here, loads about TMPS replacement. But in an abbreviated form - you can buy an aftermarket battery and replace yourself, not an ideal solution. You can buy a sensor off of eBay. Depending on the year of your bike the sensors have now changed, the older ones are banana shaped, the newer ones are sort of an oblong shape. The new ones work fine, replaced one on a 2015 bike late last year. KTM use the same sensor and it is cheaper than BMW. All you need is the bolt to fit it, which is a BMW part, but cheap compared to a sensor. Fitting, you need to remove the tyre, then fit the sensor. It will need waking up (cheap Chinese wake up tool will do it), then you have to get it recognised buy the bike, GS911 tool or similar will so this. Older sensor used to come with a 6 digit code which you just needed to programme into the bike with the GS911. New sensors don't come with a code (well mine didn't and BMW confirmed they no longer do). That is why you need the wake up tool to get the sensor active. Sorry forgot the how long bit - As I said the bike was a 2015, rear done, front still ok, so the battery lasts for years, but guess it is also down to how much its been working. Bike I changed it on, had done 55k miles

·
Registered
2021 BMW R 1250 RT, 2020 BMW R 1250 GSA, 2014 HD FLHTK, 2005 Honda Goldwing
111 Posts
Has the dealer diagnosed the cause yet? There is also a possibility that battery in the sending unit needs to be replaced. Think it's a CR 2032 and a $5.00 item.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Where is the sending unit then? Do you mean the battery in the actual sensor that is in the rim. That is probably what the issue is. But as I said, it is not just a slip or the battery and put a new one in. If there is another sending unit, where is it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes, the battery is in the actual sensor. There are some informative videos on Youtube regarding this subject. As the bike goes in for a tire change they can check it out and replace the battery. Assuming that unit itself has no issues.
Can't comment on the rates a dealer charges for this service. Buying a GS911 and all the parts will cost you close or more. Unless you are inclined to use the diagnostic tool for other tasks in the future it will be an expensive solution to an already expensive problem. The batteries for the TPMS in my previous GTL lasted more than 6 years.

·
Registered
542 Posts
There is no battery replacement service, the battery is embedded in the unit. The banana shaped ones have the battery sealed with black sealant, the newer ones are also sealed. You can try and self help, but the only answer is a new unit

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is no battery replacement service, the battery is embedded in the unit. The banana shaped ones have the battery sealed with black sealant, the newer ones are also sealed. You can try and self help, but the only answer is a new unit
That’s very annoying especially as a battery is pence!. I’ve never had tpm on a bike before but it’s useful for a basic check to see you’ve no punctures. No idea of the price in the UK but if is more than £50 I won’t be replacing them if the fail.

·
Registered
111 Posts
With the exception of an occasional battery, quick oil and filter change, I no longer work on the bikes. Do not have the time nor am I willing to spend the monies on specialty tools any longer. But I do know of gear heads who claim to have replaced the battery.

Looked through my old service records. The TPMS units on my old bike were replaced at a cost of
$169.00 ea. Since both tires were replaced at the same time the dealer applied a discount to the overall bill. Net cost was still close to $150.00 ea. Based on 6 years of use, the convenience of TPMS came at a cost of $50.00 per annum.

TPMS is no substitute for a quality (calibrated) pressure gauge. If the budget is tight I would forgo the convenience and spend the money on fuel and travel. That's my personal position on this particular subject.
No idea idea what the trade in penalty for a non functioning TMPS system might be.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Here is where you can get them for about $125 US. Also right in the UK for for about 120 pounds. If your careful taking the old one out, the nut can be re used saving you from buying the kit but for peace of mind get the kit too.
This is a great parts house for parts. They have lots of little stuff that makes it worth the trouble to put together an order of stuff you could use over the years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
View attachment 179931
My bike have tpms show on dash. But my tire still have 5000 miles to go. I talk with my Machanic told me to wait until new tires replacement. Save for labor. Anyone have any suggestions for this situation
You can buy external TPMS units for a total of about $30 if it really bothers you. I use them on my cage which doesn't have a built in system.

·
Registered
2021 719 Mineral White 1250RT
35 Posts
View attachment 179931
I had this issue on my old 15'RT and end up being a bad battery inside the alarm module. Its a CR123A battery. I don't know if you bike has that.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Everyone wants their bikes features to function properly but I think that the annoying warning sign on the dash might be more irritating than the issue itself. Maybe I belong to a dying breed of riders who still follow a pre-ride routine. Inspecting the tires for any embedded objects and checking tire pressure with a calibrated pressure gauge before every ride is part of that routine. The gauge is stored on the bike along with the tire repair kit. The only time I refer to the TPMS is when the bike begins to feel strange/wobbly underneath me. A convenient way to check if it is a tire related issue.
At the same time, riding bikes without this feature doesn't make me feel any less safe. Therefore the cheapest short term solution might very well be a piece of black tape over the warning indicator. LOL

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Well said Dalton 5.

The bike pictured went 383,000 plus-miles before I sold it. Two top-ends, one bottom-end.
No bells and whistles - engine, frame, wheels and away I went.
We are not a dying breed ---- yet.... ;)

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
542 Posts
It is not just annoying, you not only get the triangle, you get the visual sensor show up, indicating an issue, this appears in the info box on the dash, where you can set, range to fill up, temp etc, so you have to look at this warning all the time as well as the orange triangle. But each to their own, we had a bike with this issue and it was a pain to look at, so I replaced the sensor in the end.

·
Cat Herder
1,623 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
SJ BMW will charge for diagnosed $195. But we know the problem why I need to pay them $195 for diagnostic.
Dealers (Cars or motorcycles) always charge everybody for a diagnostic as a standard procedure. (They have to pay for their machine and make some extra money)
195$ is a bit steep IMHO. My dealer charges 75$

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,341 Posts
Those BMW computers cost the dealers $14,000.

• Wow
Reactions: kbob12
1 - 20 of 21 Posts