BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe the analog will give the most accurate reading, while the digital are most portable, and the pencil are least accurate.

I hear smartire is still having some problems (from my BMW dealer) when I asked then to install it.

What's your opinion/suggestion? Analog

Any recommendations where to buy?

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
SmartTire Experience

I've had the SmartTire monitoring device installed on my k1200 for about 14 months now. It was subject to a recall in the fall of 2004 and resulted in replacing the sending units installed on the rims.

The pressure monitoring is extremely accurate. It automatically compensates for the temperature of the tire. The unit also reports the deviation from the original programmed pressures on a real time basis.

My only criticism of the unit is that the display is somewhat small and can be difficult to read in bright sun, particularly when wearing sunglasses. The other issue is that it always makes me nervous to have new tires mounted. I constantly remind the "wrenches" of the existence of the units in spite of the decals on the rims warning about sensors.

Would I install them again - absolutely. Worth every penny in terms of safety from picking up nails, etc. while riding.

Tom

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
justincase said:
I believe the analog will give the most accurate reading, while the digital are most portable, and the pencil are least accurate.

I hear smartire is still having some problems (from my BMW dealer) when I asked then to install it.

What's your opinion/suggestion? Analog

Any recommendations where to buy?

At CCR in Grand Teton this year I bought a gauge and it is fairly easy to use and doesn't take a lot of air to run it. After using it a couple of months I would recommend it.. The Review on WebBikeWorld doesn't mention it but the RoadGear designer told me (at CCR) that the gauge was altitude and ambient temp compensated. Only gauge that I have used that I can take a reading and not have a air pump ready.. I'll admit it takes some practice to get the positioning just right..

This a a webBikeWorld review..

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
SmarTire question to Tom

Hi Tom,

since you have the SmarTire system I would like to ask you a question that for some reason my owners manual does not tell ( or I don't understand it properly...)

Anyway, does your monitor display the front and rear tire readings all the time? Or do you have to press the little button in order to get the readings on the display? Mine works this way. At first it showed the front and rear pressures alternately but then I once pressed the little button and now the reading comes on only when button is pressed.

Thanks

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
SmartTire Experience

Ari,

The SmartTire does not display unless you push the button. However, any anomaly, i.e., significant change in pressure, over temperature, etc. will cause it to display and remain so. In some respects maybe that is the best way to handle things since the flashing of the display does get your attention.

I've only had an event once where the display was repeatedly flashing. I hadn't replaced the sensors after they were recalled and finally the thing failed.

Tom

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
RoadGear gauge

I too had gotten the RoadGear gauge at CCR Breckinridge. I really liked the gauge. Only problem is that the battery is dead and finding that battery has been a pain inda butt. Its a 1032 button battery. So far, I've found it on Amazon only. It might be available elsewhere but it is frustrating to have to get it mailorder for something that should be local.

Tom

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Thanks Tom for the advise. Now I know that my unit is working properly. I was a bit concerned as I at first had only my rear tire changed ( and the sensor installed) but the unit did not work until I had the front tire done as well (about 3500 miles later). It seems to require both sensors activated before giving any readings.

Best regards

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Ari,

That seems odd to me that it requires both sensors. When my front sensor failed my rear keep reporting pressures properly. I wonder if it might have been how it was programmed initially.

Nevertheless, I'm glad its working for you now. The one thing Smarttire has made me acutely aware of is how underinflated my tires have typically been considering the adjustment for temperature.

Tom

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Yes Tom, the trick must be that you had your both sensors programmed in the first place but I was unable to program my front sensor since it was not installed at all. So the main unit kept waiting for the signal from it and I was not able to make it skip the request for the front signal.
My winter project is also trying to find a more visble angle for the display since now reading it takes quite a bit of concentration from the driving.

Thanks again for your comments

Regards

·
Registered
277 Posts
You might want to check into the article on pressure gauges in the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. It is a great article. Check it out.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Tom_Becker said:
I too had gotten the RoadGear gauge at CCR Breckinridge. I really liked the gauge. Only problem is that the battery is dead and finding that battery has been a pain inda butt. Its a 1032 button battery. So far, I've found it on Amazon only. It might be available elsewhere but it is frustrating to have to get it mailorder for something that should be local.

Tom
Tom,

I'd call the RoadGear folks. From talking to the co-owner at CCR, I think you might be able to get your gauge replaced. I don't know for sure, but it is worth a try.

BTW, I bought one too.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I use an analog "Acu-gage" at home. The built in bleeder button is damm handy, you can air up over pressure slighty, then bleed out air while guage is attached getting pressure spot on.

Just purchased a "Smartire" system that will be going on with new tires this winter.

Scott

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
RoadGear gauge

Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts