BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried tires other than the Brigstones that came on the GTL? Nobody I've talked seems to get more than 6000-6500 miles on the Brigs. I need to put on my third set of tires on my GTL (11,000 miles on the clock) and wonder if there is an approve alternate?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I've got ~6,100 on my Bridgestones and the front still looks like new. The rear still looks pretty good.

I have heard that many are going to the Dunlap Pilot Road 3 though when it's time to replace.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Mine came with Metzler Z8's & they lasted less the 5000 miles. I put on Michelin Pilot Road 3's & now have about 4500 miles on them. They still look new front & rear. Plus they handle MUCH better then the Z8's did.

·
Registered
112 Posts
"Approved" pretty much means finding a 190/55 rear tire, as all major brands offer a 120/70 front tire. Available choices right now in a sport-tour type tire include the OE Metzeler Z8, Michelin Pilot Road 3, and Continental RoadAttack 2. The OE Bridgestone BT021/BT022 tires simply aren't stocked in the US.

Dunlop promises a 190/55 rear RoadSmart 2 to be available in June.

If you prefer a pure sportbike tire, most major brands do offer this type in a 190/55 rear but tread life will be relatively short.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm? I've had no trouble finding BT021/022 stocked in the US? I just don't like the wear life, otherwise they handle great.

As for "Approved", not all 190/55-17 have the reinforced sidewall the GT/GTL require except the Brigstone or the Metzler.

Time will obviously bring more options to the market.

Part of my wear issues are to much knee dragging with two up and a Unigo trailer tagging along :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My original rear tire (don't know make) got 13,600 km had to change it in Boise last year at CCR. They put on a Metzler Sporttec M5 interact only about 5,000 km on them and need changing.

Need a new tire fast to get riding.

Looks like I'll try a "Michelin Pilot Road 3"

Garry

·
Registered
64 Posts
Amazingly enough, from everything I've read, I got >12K miles out of my original Metzlers. Just put on a set of Michelin PR3's last weekend. Looking forward to trying them out on a trip to Florida this weekend, followed by Americade 2 weeks after that.

·
Registered
719 Posts
jbartlett said:
Amazingly enough, from everything I've read, I got >12K miles out of my original Metzlers. Just put on a set of Michelin PR3's last weekend. Looking forward to trying them out on a trip to Florida this weekend, followed by Americade 2 weeks after that.
12k is great to hear,,im at 4600 with 3k trip next month,,i was starting to get a little nervous as to when ill need a new rear tire

1 - 8 of 8 Posts