BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this will stir the pot. After reading thread after thread on tires, I just wanted to share that on my 2000 LT, I just replaced the front Metzler that had 21,000 miles on it and the rear Metzler that had 10,000 miles. I know I may have pushed my luck, but the front STILL has plenty of tread and so does the rear. And after chasing down my 28 year old son on his KLM Super Duke one day through the Olympic Peninsula(easily passed 2 Goldwings and 3 Road Kings BTW), I was sold on the performance of the boring old Metzlers.
I am amused when I am told by shops and dealers to replace tires at 7,000 miles. I don't do burnouts so maybe I get better performance? Whatever.
One more thing...Dynabeads really DO work! I use them on my LT and on the wife's F650 CS. Do not fear the beads.
Let the cavelcade of tire wisdom begin!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
If you've truly read thread after thread on the tires, one would think you would have started your thread in the TIRES forum. Just a thought.

·
Registered
453 Posts
showmebarry said:
Sorry to offend. If I ever post again, I'll post in the proper thread next time.

I too am growing tired of new posters and recent members getting driven away by harsh, counter productive responses. I am also tired of going to BMWMOA events and when I mention this forum being asked how I can stand such a bunch of pretentious snots.

Maybe we need to do better?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks rkimmel2 for the post. This is EXACTLY why I don't post on threads and why I own BMW's. I don't want to belong to a riding club, go to a rally or ride with 50 rides on a poker run. Just me, my bike and my TIRES.
I really enjoyed getting my ass chewed by the Thread Police. I'm gone. :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
My K1200LT gets about 15,000 miles on the rear and close to 20,000 on the front. Several times I've changed tires because of either cuts or I just decided to switch them both at the same time. I'm probably on my 3rd or 4th set with almost 50,000 miles on the bike.

I just put a new front tire on because the present tire, with more miles to go, seemed to have some dry rot. I didn't check the age, but had purchased it before I needed it and it sat a while.

Welcome to the forum...

I forgot to add that I've always used Metz.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think there should be a seperate forum for the proper thread crowd, so they don't have to offended by us newbies that want to bring up stuff they don't want to talk about anymore. They can sit and look at a blank screen and feel secure that proper topics are being discussed. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I also usually get 20,000 miles plus on a set of Metz's and switch them out with thread remaining. I go more on the apparent overall condition of the tire and its apparent integrity than mileage. I am a conservative rider and use Ride-On which also adds to my comfort in keeping tires until the thread becomes quite thin.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
I also usually get 20,000 miles plus on a set of Metz's and switch them out with thread remaining. I go more on the apparent overall condition of the tire and its apparent integrity than mileage. I am a conservative rider and use Ride-On which also adds to my comfort in keeping tires until the thread becomes quite thin.

What is Ride-On?

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Barry, that is awesome mileage. I think riders who get that kind of mileage out of their tires should share how they do it. Maybe it's careful, consistent attention to tire pressure, or a certain way of riding, or something else, but it would be great to be able to replicate that.

Over 107k miles on my LT I have averaged 14k on the front and 9k on the rear. My max. mileage out of a tire is 19k on the front and 12k on the rear - all Metzelers.

--------------------------

Don't be turned off by what you saw as a negative reply. I read it as a quickly-worded/short reply, not as being critical. Mike is one of the good guys, and this is one of those cases where the written word doesn't convey the proper meaning. And besides, if it needs to be in a different forum, the moderators will let you know. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
pauleknight said:
What is Ride-On?
It is a puncture sealant that I have had good luck with for many years. Whether it is right for you is your decision. It is put into the tire and allegedly seals punctures as they occur. I can only say that in the past I have nearly wet myself once or twice after picking up a nail on the interstate. Since using this product, I have found evidence of sealed punctures upon arriving home from a trip. There is no substitute for a good, sound tire or an excellent patch job, but a little added insurance that is pretty cheap works for me.

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycles.html

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
snip..........

hschisler said:
Don't be turned off by what you saw as a negative reply. I read it as a quickly-worded/short reply, not as being critical. Mike is one of the good guys, and this is one of those cases where the written word doesn't convey the proper meaning. And besides, if it needs to be in a different forum, the moderators will let you know. :)
......... endsnip

Howard, this may well be true, I don't remember seeing a post like this from mwanahas in the past. It is true, however, that there are those in this forum who seem to take delight in belittling others while flaunting their superior knowledge and experience. As long as this behavior continues to be tolerated the reputation of this site will continue to be one of a group of snobs on BMW motorcycles.

There are others, by far in the majority, who are willing to share their knowledge freely and without the rhetoric.

Showmebarry, I am sorry you received the response you did, intentional or otherwise.

As for the thread police? They do a great job getting stuff moved and the neat part is that on this site the original thread stays where it was mis-posted which makes it easy to find, helps in the search process, and is instructional.

Loren

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
showmebarry said:
Sorry to offend. If I ever post again, I'll post in the proper thread next time.
no offense I just think you would get the proper responses about tires from the tires forum. Simple as that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am another newbie so will try not to offend anyone but I am a bit bewildered by tire wear on the LT myself. I bought mine 2 weeks ago with 10000 miles on the clock. The bike has the original rear tire which hardly looks worn at all and the second front tire which also looks good. The previous owner told me that the first front was history after 2000 miles due the manufacturer recommending the wrong tire pressures. He recommended 32psi in the front and 36psi in the rear and said that they will last a long time. I have always ridden sport bikes so consider 3000 miles out of a rear tire to be exceptional. I am intersested in comments - should I put new tires on my bike and what do you think about tire pressures?
Andy

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
It is a puncture sealant that I have had good luck with for many years. Whether it is right for you is your decision. It is put into the tire and allegedly seals punctures as they occur. I can only say that in the past I have nearly wet myself once or twice after picking up a nail on the interstate. Since using this product, I have found evidence of sealed punctures upon arriving home from a trip. There is no substitute for a good, sound tire or an excellent patch job, but a little added insurance that is pretty cheap works for me.

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycles.html

It's also supposed to continually balance the tires in a similar manner to Dyna Beads. I put the Ride On in my 1200GS last fall with a new set of Tourance EXP's and so far it's been great. Not punctures but the tires are wearing well and seem to be balanced and smooth. No more ugly wheel weights either...

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
arobert3 said:
I am another newbie so will try not to offend anyone but I am a bit bewildered by tire wear on the LT myself. I bought mine 2 weeks ago with 10000 miles on the clock. The bike has the original rear tire which hardly looks worn at all and the second front tire which also looks good. The previous owner told me that the first front was history after 2000 miles due the manufacturer recommending the wrong tire pressures. He recommended 32psi in the front and 36psi in the rear and said that they will last a long time. I have always ridden sport bikes so consider 3000 miles out of a rear tire to be exceptional. I am intersested in comments - should I put new tires on my bike and what do you think about tire pressures?
Andy
That pressure is WAY too low. If you read the other tire threads you'll see a consensus that 42 front and 46-48 rear seems to be the way to go. I've got 75k on LT's and that's what I've had the best results with.

As far are replacing them goes? If they're not squared off or cupped/feathered, then keep using them.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
showmebarry said:
Thanks rkimmel2 for the post. This is EXACTLY why I don't post on threads and why I own BMW's. I don't want to belong to a riding club, go to a rally or ride with 50 rides on a poker run. Just me, my bike and my TIRES.
I really enjoyed getting my ass chewed by the Thread Police. I'm gone. :confused:

Don't be so thin skinned. This forum is TAME compared to most. You'll find plenty of good info here and lots on nice people too.

I've moved this thread to the TIRE forum so everyone ought to be happy now:D

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ted Shred said:
Don't be so thin skinned. This forum is TAME compared to most. You'll find plenty of good info here and lots on nice people too.

I've moved this thread to the TIRE forum so everyone ought to be happy now:D

I agree with Ted. I have people piss me off less on this forum than elsewhere too. I can't count the times people on this forum have helped pull my chestnuts out of the fire. Guys like VTCharlie and Ted Martin are priceless. When a good guy makes a post that is a bit reckless there could be many reasons including a crappy breakfast or a bad day at work. There is no one I can think of here who seems deliberately mean or reckless. Just a couple of mistakes. To quote the great 20th Century philosopher, Joel Gray, "ein kleines menchvertandnis."

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
arobert3 said:
Andy
What pressure was the PO running?

32f 36 r is too low IMHO. Been running 38 front and 46 rear for a long time and get even wear and good mileage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts