BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have used a Harbor Freight type tire changer - do you need anything special to do the rear wheel?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Now to order the changer.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
instead of mounting the changer to concrete, I notched two 6x6 posts and lag screw the changer to them.. when done, remove the 4 lag screws and it folds up for storage..

Also, you may find the "bar" for removing the tire will damage your rim... there are other options. I use "spoons" and some folks have a bar with special plastic ends....

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
cfell said:
instead of mounting the changer to concrete, I notched two 6x6 posts and lag screw the changer to them.. when done, remove the 4 lag screws and it folds up for storage..

Also, you may find the "bar" for removing the tire will damage your rim... there are other options. I use "spoons" and some folks have a bar with special plastic ends....
Definitely buy a mount/demount bar from NoMar.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Thanks, I too appreciate these answers as I'm headed out this week to order mine too.
Thank you all,
Frank

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I used some of that "Plasti-Dip" on the rim holders. Now my rims are far from pristine, but, the rubber seems to hold up.

Front and rear hold the tire well.

I also used the 4 x 4 trick. It really is a beast in a small garage, so, being able to stash her away is a feature.

Someone even posted a plate they installed on it when not in use as another work platform.

Worth the money.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I use these plastic rim protectors in the grips of the Harbor Freight changer:

http://www.kowatools.com/cgi-bin/miva?Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AKS2000&Product_Code=AKS-280-1010&Category_Code=REMOVAL

I also have the removal bar from a Coats 220 tire changer. It has the plastic replaceable tips.

http://www.mile-x.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=278

Get some tire lube from a local shop and you might want to look into a Marc Parnes Balancer:

http://marcparnes.com/

HTH,

Ron

·
Registered
659 Posts
We have a Victory dealer here that changes tires with electronic balancing (no need to purchase tire from him) for $30. Changing tires every 15K just doesn't justify the equipment needed and potential rim damage for me.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
How do you get 15K out of a rear tire :confused:

I can barely get 1/2 that much?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Reid said:
We have a Victory dealer here that changes tires with electronic balancing (no need to purchase tire from him) for $30. Changing tires every 15K just doesn't justify the equipment needed and potential rim damage for me.
Many of us simply enjoy doing things for ourselves. It's like therapy.

·
Registered
659 Posts
munson said:
Many of us simply enjoy doing things for ourselves. It's like therapy.
I hope my post didn't appear critical...far from it as I find "therapy" in getting my hands dirty as many of us do. I just meant I choose other battles to fight than tire changes.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
ltride said:
never lean and slow down
My grandpa had one of them, a WHEELCHAIR :D

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
joegottberg said:
How do you get 15K out of a rear tire :confused:

I can barely get 1/2 that much?
I think it depends on what tire you are running. I consistently got 13K with ME880s on the 02. On the 05, the front 'stone was replaced at 9K but the rear still looks good @12K.

BTW, the ME880 front and BT020 rear is working well w/o head shake.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Running the same set up here, 880 front 20 radial rear.

Bob

·
Registered
659 Posts
alabrew said:
I think it depends on what tire you are running. I consistently got 13K with ME880s on the 02. On the 05, the front 'stone was replaced at 9K but the rear still looks good @12K.

BTW, the ME880 front and BT020 rear is working well w/o head shake.
Consensus is the Metzlers hold up longer than Bridgestone, but not as good in wet conditions. I am surprised you don't experience tracking issues with two different tires...perhaps the tread is similar enough in design so as not to cause issues. Sorry, I guess this thread isn't "tracking" well as we've deviated from the original subject matter.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Reid said:
Consensus is the Metzlers hold up longer than Bridgestone, but not as good in wet conditions. I am surprised you don't experience tracking issues with two different tires...perhaps the tread is similar enough in design so as not to cause issues. Sorry, I guess this thread isn't "tracking" well as we've deviated from the original subject matter.
I'm running that same combo at the moment, as well. They are both bias ply tires, and the ride is very good. We're still talking tires, so it's all good!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts