BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 R1200RT with just about 6,000 miles. Front tire is in need of replacement, rear still has 3/4,000 miles on it. Both tires are Bridgestones. I want to put Michelin Pilot Sports on as replacements. What's up with having a Michelin on front and keeping the Bridgestone on the rear til it's ready for replacement? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ATFLT, I figured that but it never hurts to ask. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Why be so cheap. You end up always trying to get those last few miles out of one tire or the other. Enjoy the feeling of two fresh tires, matched up. :wave
Get together with someone and buy a tire machine. Buy you tires on the web and install them yourselves. Save 200 to 250 per set.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
My BMW dealer is 110 miles away so I took my 2011 in for new rubber at the Honda dealer. I found out what brands he carried, looked online for the costs and he matched it, plus tax of course. I couldn't find any reviews for the ContiMotions on an RT so decided to give them a try. So far they grip great even on cold wet roads, are wearing very well, I'd say at least 6k, which is good because the Bridgestones only got me to 4200 miles before they needed changed.
I have a set of PR3's waiting to go on, the rear is the "B" because I ride loaded a lot. I'm hoping to get at least 10-12k from them on my AK trip in June.
I've never had any issue mixing and matching tires and found some combinations work better than matching brands, so you should be fine.

·
Cat Herder
1,513 Posts
beech said:
Why be so cheap. You end up always trying to get those last few miles out of one tire or the other. Enjoy the feeling of two fresh tires, matched up. :wave
Get together with someone and buy a tire machine. Buy you tires on the web and install them yourselves. Save 200 to 250 per set.
+1 Buy two new tires and enjoy the feel. I have a 2011 RT with 6000 miles on it and my bike came with Metezler tires and the front looks brand new and the rear is showing a little flat spot in the middle... I have a set of PR3's waiting to go on then these tire are shot. Several guys in my club use the PR3's and love them on the RT and GT bikes.
I always replace both tires at the same time because I hate having one old tire on my bike all the time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
beech said:

A tire machine is the way to go. I wear out one to two sets of tires a year, depending on the winter road conditions. I use Dyna Beads with not problem, and you can re-use them.
I just mounted a set of Bridgestone BT023GT's. The last Bridgestones lasted 11K miles, these are supposed to be better, we will see. I have a set of Shinko tires on deck, they were much less money, but I don't know how good they will be on the road, or their lifespan.

When mounting the tiers, get some good tire lube from NAPA and warm the tire up with a heat gun, carefully. The 023GT rear would not go on without some heating. By this time next year I will have a good comparison on how the different brands held up.
Lots of two-up riding and some trips with a Uni Go in tow.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Could someone give some suggestions on available tire machines and their costs?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
The industry standard of past but still make, Coats 220. Then there are NoMar, and there is a power machine that is given good reviews and is cheap, http://www.derekweaver.com/update/W...r_Motorcycle_Tire_Changers_Product.aspx?id=45
There are several other brands. I do not recomend the Harbor Freight unit. It has serious issues for alloy wheels.
I have a Coats 220, I use the NoMar nylon wheel holding system that is made for a Coats unit. I do not like the NoMar mount/dismount bar. But if you get use to it no problems I guess.
Here is the Coats unit.
http://www.klsupply.com/WHEELEQUIPMENT/TIRECHANGERS/COATS220TIRECHANGER.aspx
If you go the NoMar route, take a look at the various levels of heavy dutyness and make your choice, remember how many tires you may change. You will have more friends once word gets out you have a tire machine.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Teach said:
My BMW dealer is 110 miles away so I took my 2011 in for new rubber at the Honda dealer.
When going someplace besides BMW dealer, always discuss with them that you have TPMS (tire presssure monitoring system) if you do. Both you and they will be unhappy if they break a sender in the process.

·
Registered
2011 RT
189 Posts
I use the Nomar classic..and am very happy with it. In the savings of not having the shops do it, with their tires..I could buy my own changer + balancer, buy off line the tires, and after 3 tire changes would have paid for the up front tools plus I get all the enjoyment that comes with doing it, knowing the jobs done right...or "good enough".

Just price out the tire job through the dealer..price the tools and tires.. do the math and you'll see what I mean...Not saying its for everyone.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Thanks pipestone, beech, and alanrd. That helps!

·
Registered
2017 BMW r1200gs
29 Posts
pipestone said:
I use the Nomar classic..and am very happy with it. In the savings of not having the shops do it, with their tires..I could buy my own changer + balancer, buy off line the tires, and after 3 tire changes would have paid for the up front tools plus I get all the enjoyment that comes with doing it, knowing the jobs done right...or "good enough".

Just price out the tire job through the dealer..price the tools and tires.. do the math and you'll see what I mean...Not saying its for everyone.
I've been thinking about getting a nomar. Any opinion on if moving up from the classic is worth the extra cost??

·
Registered
144 Posts
izquik said:
I've been thinking about getting a nomar. Any opinion on if moving up from the classic is worth the extra cost??
I have had my classic for 6 years with no problems. It has worked well on both my bikes and several friends. It has paid for itself in several years. It's like the tool is now free :)

Also, I have added the "yellow thing" and several no-mar tire bars. Very satisfied with the results and have not scratched a single wheel. My classic is mounted to the shop floor so it is very stable.

·
Registered
353 Posts
cessna said:
Could someone give some suggestions on available tire machines and their costs?

Thanks,
Check the brand "cycle hill". It's made by No-Mar but at a lower price point. One of my riding buddies and I split the cost and buy our tires on line. Saves us a ton of $$

1 - 16 of 16 Posts