BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Back in the 70's Firestone had that problem, air would leak through layers and create footballs on the sidewalls, and Michelin offered to replace the tires for free all you had to do is pay the tax. Later in the 90's Goodyear had that problem also, remember when the Ford Explorer's were rolling over. But the Ford's problem was from under inflation because Ford was trying to give a truck a cushy ride which over heated and destroyed the tires. I'd say 50% of all tire failures are from under inflation. Running low pressures increases the running heat temps and destroys the tire from the inside out. That's why I always inflate my tires to the tire manufacturer's recommended max cold pressure which is on the side of the tire. In Michelin's Road 6's case it's 42/42.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
SvFiat - You are severely over-inflating your tires.

"A common misunderstanding is the maximum tire inflation pressure and maximum load marking on the tire sidewall. It is not the recommended tire inflation pressure. Instead it is the maximum weight that the tire is designed to support at the maximum cold inflation pressure. Consult the motorcycle owner's manual or placard on the motorcycle to determine the manufacturer specified tire air pressure for the motorcycle."

Read more from Michelin here.

Read more from Michelin here.

Inflation and air pressure are critical to a tire’s performance. If air pressure is too high the ride will be rough, safety can be compromised, and the tire experiences increased wear. Too low, and the tire will perform sluggishly and get hot. The motorcycle manufacturer has specific guidelines to follow for just how much inflation is required. Only the motorcycle manufacturer should recommend tire pressure for their motorcycle. Do not rely on the tire manufacturers, blogs, forums or even friends for recommendations.
I've been inflating my tires to the cold max for 55 years. I get the Maximum mileage out of a set of tires with little to no cupping. Yes you get a stiffer ride but that's the only down side I've ever experienced. But then again I don't ever ride my bike with a death grip so I rarely notice the stiffness. I don't like a bike that's sluggish and drives through corners like an old mack truck.............................

1 - 2 of 2 Posts