BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my Continental tires and found the front tire blistered on the inside. They were the Road Attack and I had 9,500 miles on the set. Granted that I ride in hot weather, often over 100 degress across south and west Texas, New Mexico, AZ, etc. Still, wasn't expecting to see this. Blisters ran all the way around the inside. The outside was OK.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I replaced my Continental tires and found the front tire blistered on the inside. They were the Road Attack and I had 9,500 miles on the set. Granted that I ride in hot weather, often over 100 degress across south and west Texas, New Mexico, AZ, etc. Still, wasn't expecting to see this. Blisters ran all the way around the inside. The outside was OK. View attachment 179628
Ouch that is not good. I have been a staunch advocate for RA3--is that what this is presumably? I found all aspects of the tire to be superior to the other 3 tires I had used for wethead RT. I don't ride in high temps anymore so I'm sure I'm fine but if i did would need to consider a different tire.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've always favored using Conti tires. I like them. I'm looking to see if I can find my receipt to check the specs on the tire. Could be just a fluke and I did put some miles on them. I'll get back.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Continental has a safety recall on TC80's, Contigo, LB, K62 for the production period 0119 to 1722. So something is going on
NHTSA recall ID 22T006. I just got a letter about this yesterday.
That blistering is amazing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That's frightening. Wow. I've been riding almost 40 years and I've never seen anything like that. I have lived in North Texas since 1997 where it gets hotter than hades in the summer. Especially this summer. And I tend to ride 75 -85 on the freeways. I've never run Contis before. Mostly Michelin and Metzler.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
That might be caused by excessive sidewall flex. What tire pressure were you running?

Reactions: kbob12

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Back in the 70's Firestone had that problem, air would leak through layers and create footballs on the sidewalls, and Michelin offered to replace the tires for free all you had to do is pay the tax. Later in the 90's Goodyear had that problem also, remember when the Ford Explorer's were rolling over. But the Ford's problem was from under inflation because Ford was trying to give a truck a cushy ride which over heated and destroyed the tires. I'd say 50% of all tire failures are from under inflation. Running low pressures increases the running heat temps and destroys the tire from the inside out. That's why I always inflate my tires to the tire manufacturer's recommended max cold pressure which is on the side of the tire. In Michelin's Road 6's case it's 42/42.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
SvFiat - You are severely over-inflating your tires.

"A common misunderstanding is the maximum tire inflation pressure and maximum load marking on the tire sidewall. It is not the recommended tire inflation pressure. Instead it is the maximum weight that the tire is designed to support at the maximum cold inflation pressure. Consult the motorcycle owner's manual or placard on the motorcycle to determine the manufacturer specified tire air pressure for the motorcycle."

Read more from Michelin here.

Inflation and air pressure are critical to a tire’s performance. If air pressure is too high the ride will be rough, safety can be compromised, and the tire experiences increased wear. Too low, and the tire will perform sluggishly and get hot. The motorcycle manufacturer has specific guidelines to follow for just how much inflation is required. Only the motorcycle manufacturer should recommend tire pressure for their motorcycle. Do not rely on the tire manufacturers, blogs, forums or even friends for recommendations.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
I have been hesitating to say this, being pretty much a Michelin fan, but if you will go back a few years, you will find lots of discussions on this forum regarding Conti tires de laminating. They were on the outside surfaces at that time, and Conti absolutely refused to owe up to them, even thiough many riders (from this and other forums) had experienced the issue. Major reason why I have never tried the brand over the years.

BTW, I had worked for Firestones for a few months back in the early '60s, as part of the engineering degree requirement in NZ, and so I know exactly how tires are made, and what are causing these de-lamination.

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
SvFiat - You are severely over-inflating your tires.

"A common misunderstanding is the maximum tire inflation pressure and maximum load marking on the tire sidewall. It is not the recommended tire inflation pressure. Instead it is the maximum weight that the tire is designed to support at the maximum cold inflation pressure. Consult the motorcycle owner's manual or placard on the motorcycle to determine the manufacturer specified tire air pressure for the motorcycle."

Inflation and air pressure are critical to a tire’s performance. If air pressure is too high the ride will be rough, safety can be compromised, and the tire experiences increased wear. Too low, and the tire will perform sluggishly and get hot. The motorcycle manufacturer has specific guidelines to follow for just how much inflation is required. Only the motorcycle manufacturer should recommend tire pressure for their motorcycle. Do not rely on the tire manufacturers, blogs, forums or even friends for recommendations.
I've been inflating my tires to the cold max for 55 years. I get the Maximum mileage out of a set of tires with little to no cupping. Yes you get a stiffer ride but that's the only down side I've ever experienced. But then again I don't ever ride my bike with a death grip so I rarely notice the stiffness. I don't like a bike that's sluggish and drives through corners like an old mack truck.............................

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Not that it makes any difference in this case, my Dad started teaching me to ride in 1956 and I'm verified/certified for more than a million safe miles.

Experience has told me to pay attention to the manufacturers recommendations. Obviously, you don't agree and that's okay.

I'm only relating what the manufacturer states.

Be safe.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
I have to say that I am truly amazed!!!! ;) (NOT at you, Steve).

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
The motorcycle manufacturer has specific guidelines to follow for just how much inflation is required. Only the motorcycle manufacturer should recommend tire pressure for their motorcycle. Do not rely on the tire manufacturers, blogs, forums or even friends for recommendations.
PR4GT severely cupped within a few thousand miles on my '16 RT. The Michelin rep advised my local dealer to tell people to overinflate the front from the recommended 36.3psi to 40psi to retard cupping. That was the last Michelin tire I bought for this bike, plus as it ended its useful life it got quite noisy in turns.

Reactions: MBevans

·
Registered
274 Posts
PR4GT severely cupped within a few thousand miles on my '16 RT. The Michelin rep advised my local dealer to tell people to overinflate the front from the recommended 36.3psi to 40psi to retard cupping. That was the last Michelin tire I bought for this bike, plus as it ended its useful life it got quite noisy in turns.
I had the very same results with the same tires on my RT, and was told the same thing from a authorized dealer. They were the last Michelins on my RT 5 sets ago, don’t blame the tire, I blame BMW for selecting that model of tire for the RT.

But delaminating ply’s On that Conti is troublesome for sure, excessive heat and pressures comes to mind, but maybe just a defective tire?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I blame BMW for selecting that model of tire for the RT.

But delaminating ply’s On that Conti is troublesome for sure, excessive heat and pressures comes to mind, but maybe just a defective tire?
Good point MBevans, re selecting that tire for RT.

Besides PR4GT I tried Z8, Angel GT and Conti RA3 and I'm on my 3rd set of those right now. Bad batches happen (just think about poorly hardened cam lobes in wetheads happening over many years) and my guess is that's exactly what's happened here. Or perhaps the tire sat out in the sun and cooked on top of being ridden in high heat conditions repeatedly. One bad story can be all it takes to take down something like this, and really as you point out, we don't really know if this is more of a one-batch-off issue, or something pervasive--very doubtful else we'd (and Conti) would already have heard about it. When these tires go I will buy another set because in all areas the tire beats the other 3 handily and especially in turn-in the tire matches the RT's and my body weight and riding practices perfectly, no noise, best dry traction and likely fine in wet I just don't ride in wet much, resistance to squaring perhaps a little better, best in linear grooved pavement, bridge surfaces etc, and minimal cupping by EOL at BMW recommended pressures, and 100% traction from initial install with no break-in required. Haven't tried the newer Michelins but a while back I concluded the tire is vastly overrated at least for this bike and decided when their solution was to overinflate the tire I didn't want to endorse that any further. My guess is that tire cups seconary to its ornate siping, where as RA3 has large bold channels.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts