BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one use Dyna beads? Do they actually work? Or is it worth after mounting my new tires, just to take them to the shop and have them balanced ?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
You imply that you mount your own tires. Next step is to pick up one of the multitude of balance machines and a rear wheel adapter. Three sets of tires and you will pay for it. Then you can do your buddies too. Email me and I can send you some photos of equipment.
snipesb(at)cnw.com

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've not balanced my motorcycle tyres front or rear for the last 120,000 miles or so over three bikes and countless tyres of all makes.

Pr2's on my RT, work fine, no vibes, teeth intact. YMMV of course.
\v/

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have the Dyna Beads in my current set of tires. I have no vibration at any speed, but I don't know how they will be when the tires get a lot of miles on them, i.e. , uneven wear.
The instructions say you can put them in through the Schrader valve opening, with the valve removed, but that ain't happening. You have to put them in when the tire is installed before you seal the bead.
I will post some photos when the tires get about 8-10k miles on them.

Mick

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Zardoz said:
What was that? I get no matches to those search strings...
I guess they don't last. Did Dyna Beads and tire balance.
I hate these here computer thingy s. :(

·
Registered
378 Posts
The only reason the beads aren't in my RT tires is because I have installed new tires yet. I do my own tire changes and have used Dyna Beads on last 4 sets. Last was a Honda PC800, they have an inherent wobble which mine also had when I bought it with semi worn tires, I mounted front and rear new tires with beads and now smooth as silk, I sold the bike to my friend and neighbor and after 2K miles still going great.

Instead of instaling through the stem with new tires I just pour in after one side of tire is on rim them carefully spoon on second side and air up. Through my experiance with beads I'll never go back to weights.

I have used a liquid product called Ride On in an 89 Goldwing back in 06, I did a 6500 mile X country on new tires with Ride On, That bike also had a wooble when bought and disapeared with new tires and the liquid, on return after 6500 miles the tires still looked near new with very little noticable ware, I was impressed but that stuff is about $25 per set of tires compaired to about $9 for the beads.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
I'm as big a skeptic as any on this forum, switched to them a couple thousand miles ago and they are at least as good as conventional balancing. Can't attest to whether they result in longer tire wear yet, as this is my first set of tires with them. Definitely cheaper than paying for balancing at a dealership, and the result is the same as far as "smoothness" and no vibration, so I'd recommend them.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I use them on my RT, easy to get through the valve stem, I have them in all 3 bikes, not sure why they work, But great for me up to 130

·
Registered
254 Posts
mwood7800 said:
I use them on my RT, easy to get through the valve stem, I have them in all 3 bikes, not sure why they work, But great for me up to 130

Not sure what I was doing wrong but I could not get them thru the stem without them jamming up, so I broke the bead and just poured them in..
In the future I will only be adding them when I change the tires, so it won't be a problem.

What's the highest mileage anyone has on a set of tires with the beads in them? How is the tread wear?

Mick

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I'm really curious about the need to balance motorcycle tires. Wondering if any of you have run a new tire without any weights or beads then after noting the performance added weights or beads and observed the difference. I know that balancing seams to be the correct thing to do but I did not balance the last Metzler that I mounted on the front of my LT because I was temporarily out of weights and was in a hurry. I subsequently got weights and had intended to remove the wheel and balance. However the bike ran great the way it was with no noticeable handling issues or vibration. So, after about 12,000 miles the tire is still unbalanced and shows no signs of unusual wear or vibration.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Back in 02 I bought a used Suzuki 1200 bandit with 1200 miles, if I let go of the bars it would wooble into a tank slapper if I let it. At 5000 miles I bought 2 new tires, removed the weights, mounted the tires and the zuk ran streight as an arrow for another 5k that I owned it without cupping. I'm sure other results can go either way meaning good or bad.

·
Registered
737 Posts
All motorcycle tires should be checked for balance once mounted. However, it is not that unusual to be able to locate a tire on a rim in the best spot to minimize the amount of weight required - if any is required at all.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Risky said:
Does any one use Dyna beads? Do they actually work? Or is it worth after mounting my new tires, just to take them to the shop and have them balanced ?
Risky, I never used Dynabeads until I owned a Goldwing, which have inheirent
wobble/uneven tire wear issues. The beads seem to help. At least they delay
the uneven tire wear/cupping for several additional thousand miles.

I've never had wheel/tire balance issues with any other make or model I've owned
but I've seen a big enough improvement with my Wing that I will use them from
now on in my other and future bikes.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ok... Just couldn't sit by any longer...

Why balance a motorcycle tire?

You can put a tire on a bike, never touch it or balance it and it will run forever... there's no reason to balance that tire, right??? WRONG!

Look folks... you put a new tire on a bike... balance the damn thing or put beads in it. To not balance a tire is idiotic. Sure, you may not feel anything in your ride. You may tool happily down the road without a care in the world thinking that balance of a tire is just dumb.

Let's look at the mechanics of an unbalanced tire. And not from the standpoint of the tire.

The tire uses an axle or drive wheel to attach the tire to the bike. These axles and drive wheels (not to mention the hard mounting points) have bearings and sleeves and other parts that keep the tire doing its job. While you may not feel a vibration as you drive, the mechanics of the bike damn sure does. Failure of the bearings and or axle or any other number of parts and pieces can be a problem. If not failure, at least a massive amount of wear can occur in those components.

That tire that's mounted to the bike is also attached to shocks (of one type or another). The primary purpose of the shock is to dampen the perceived amount of bumps and vibrations that naturally occur in our pristine roads (I can show you a pot hole that has a visitors center). Again, that shock will do it's job only to keep you from noticing the wear and tear on other parts of the bike that make the wheels go round and round.

I would talk about brakes, steering dampers, pivot points, wiring, chains, drive axles, tubing and a whole slew of other stuff, but I hope you get my drift.

Repetitive vibration kills mechanical components quickly (Isn't that the 63rd article in The Constitution?). Balance in a motorcycle tire is crucial to keeping the mechanical parts (that which keeps you on the road) in good condition.

Now let's talk tires...

These things made of rubber do a pretty good job of keeping you on the straight and narrow. Balance in a motorcycle tire doesn't mean side to side action, altho some vibrations can manifest themselves in a bit of a side to side motion or what I call "rotational squirming". Real tire balance is keeping the natural tendency of the unbalanced tire to "hop" to a minimum. You folks that drive in the 40 to 50 mph range will not experience a large amount of hop. Those flirting with the three digit MPH mark will. In the 50 to 75 MPH range, that vibration, that "hop", caused by an out of balance tire reduces the amount of contact that the tire has with the ground. Limited contact means lack of grip... quite possible when you need it most.

This additional "hop" motion created by an out of balance tire causes great stress on the carcass of the tire. This stress is what can cause tread separation or the failure of the tire to contain air (blowout). Yeah, heat is another great big part of that cause, but this repetitive movement can weaken the bonds of the belts to the casing on the tire. Sidewalls or that part of the tire that keeps the air contained so that you aren't running on the rim, could fail from too much hop. Yeah, it may take 8K miles or more for it to happen, but it is happening. Out of balance tires can cause uneven wear in any tire. That uneven wear may not be readily visible to the naked eye. But an unbalanced tire does wear and not in a good way.

These guys that make these tires do a damn good job of trying to keep you safe. The very fact that a tire can do 8K miles in an out of balance condition and you still are able to ride safe is a testament to the research and construction of that little rubber round ring. Balancing a motorcycle tire makes the margin of that safety factor better in the long run.

We do everything in our power to make sure that motorcycle is safe to travel on. We make sure it is tuned, has enough oil in the crankcase, tires have the proper pressures and that the brakes work well and are capable of stopping you and the bike when it needs to. Why do we do all of that? To make our ride safer. You really don't have to do all that and have a safe ride, right? If you don't do all of those things that I mentioned, your margin of safety is a whole lot less than optimum.

You may not think you need to balance a motorcycle tire... but do it anyway. If not for your own safety, do it for the safety of those you have to ride with... be it those folks in cages.... or on a motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts