BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Brian_H said:
A coincidence? Or no?
Center stand broke in half, bike fell over. Could have been laying on its right side for five hours...
Coincidence, it's a dry clutch. (normally)
It is possible that you had an oil leak that didn't present itself until the tipover because it sloshed the oil in the bottom of the housing onto the clutch. Or perhaps the clutch handel was compressed and the slave failed and now you have brake/clutch fluid on the clutch.

·
Premium Member
7,859 Posts
Brian_H said:
A coincidence? Or no?
Center stand broke in half, bike fell over. Could have been laying on its right side for five hours...
Did you check the fluid level in your clutch master cylinder? My first thought would be that you either leaked fluid out of the master cylinder, got air into the clutch circuit, or both. I would suggest bleeding the clutch circuit before doing too much else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Brian,

I had the stand on my 2002 LT break on the LH side. Both the vertical leg and the cross brace had major cracks - it was hanging by a thread.

A friend welded it up and at the same time reduced the overal height by 5mm. It makes a HUGE difference in the effort required to pull it up onto the centre stand. He also put steel rod down the inside of the tubes for greater strength.

I also replaced the "O" rings, circlips and the support cap head set screws as both were bent. Smooth as butter as one of the members says!!

Barry

·
Registered
93 Posts
bmwbazza said:
Hi Brian,

I had the stand on my 2002 LT break on the LH side. Both the vertical leg and the cross brace had major cracks - it was hanging by a thread.

A friend welded it up and at the same time reduced the overal height by 5mm. It makes a HUGE difference in the effort required to pull it up onto the centre stand. He also put steel rod down the inside of the tubes for greater strength.

I also replaced the "O" rings, circlips and the support cap head set screws as both were bent. Smooth as butter as one of the members says!!

Barry
With the lowered height, can you still change the rear tire without jacking it up?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
Try using a cable tie to hold the clutch lever in about half way and turn the handle bars so it is the high point overnight. That will allow any air that got in during the tip over to rise up. That may have been the cause of ths slippage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts