BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a talent for knocking the big pig over and cause the maximum damage possible... while not even sitting on her!! The first time, I dropped her on my knee. $urgery $uck$!! Today, after trailering her back from the mechanic, I somehow managed to loosen the left buckle entirely when I meant to just loosen a little and the she laid down violently on the right trailer railing. The right bag is horribly scuffed. I don't know what I can do about that. But more importantly, while she was lying there and I was cussing up a storm while my wife and I were trying to right her, a huge puddle of gasoline formed on the trailer floor.

Did I mess something else up? Or is it normal for gasoline to leak when the LT is laying on the right side like that? I see a little rubber hose sticking out on the right side that was a little wet at the end. Is that supposed to be there? Is it a vent, perhaps? I don't remember seeing it there before.

She started right up and I was able to back her off the trailer, but I'm pretty worried about riding her before I know about the gasoline.

Thanks, y'all!
Andy

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I may have a side case that you can have for actual shipping cost, paid via a pre-paid mailing label.

Champagne, right side, correct? I will try to remember to check tomorrow.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
deputy5211 said:
I may have a side case that you can have for actual shipping cost, paid via a pre-paid mailing label.

Champagne, right side, correct? I will try to remember to check tomorrow.
Tony! You are a prince! I would love to get the replacement. Are you sure you don't want at least some nominal price for the case? I'll pm you.
Andy

I love this group!! You guys continue to amaze me.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Andy,

Just a word of advice on trailering. When unloading, put your side stand down and then loosen the right side ties first. Make sure it's in first gear too with the slack rolled out. That way if it gets away from you it just sets down on the side stand and waits patiently. Loading is just the opposite. First gear, slack out, side stand down, left side ratchets on, right side ratchets on and tension up. Yes, I learned this at the school of hard knocks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sperra said:
If she was on her right side, there is a vent tube to let air into the tank, attached to the upper right side of the tank. Sum gas could escape from that tube.
Hey, Sperra - She did go over with a pretty solid thump. I bet that's what it was. I'll ride her to work tomorrow and see how it goes. As for the scrapes on the case, I'll have to come up with some story about racing a Ferrari or or playing chicken with an 18 wheeler or something. Otherwise my coworkers will never let me hear the end of it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
deanwoolsey said:
Andy,

Just a word of advice on trailering. When unloading, put your side stand down and then loosen the right side ties first. Make sure it's in first gear too with the slack rolled out. That way if it gets away from you it just sets down on the side stand and waits patiently. Loading is just the opposite. First gear, slack out, side stand down, left side ratchets on, right side ratchets on and tension up. Yes, I learned this at the school of hard knocks.
I had the left side cinched down so tight, I thought I'd loosen it just a little before doing exactly the procedure you mentioned. (I didn't think about rolling out the slack in 1st gear though.) I actually kept the side stand down while trailering just in case. Of course, I'm apparently too dumb to operate the ratchet, so maybe the best thing for me to do is to have someone help next time.

Anyway, looks like I'll also be graduating from your alma mater. Expensive school.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
asteude said:
Tony! You are a prince! I would love to get the replacement. Are you sure you don't want at least some nominal price for the case? I'll pm you.
Andy

I love this group!! You guys continue to amaze me.
I will pack it and weight it, then send you dims & weight. then you just go to USPS.com or ups.com, generate a label, save as PDF, and email to me.

Your only other obligation is to help out someone else when you can. It is what we do. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.