BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a set of the new MickOPegs and need some help with the tipover wing removal. I've done a search but cant find anything?

I have looked under the wing and it seems simple, I have ground lighting and was wondering if those light unplug during removal?

Also, I must make a notch for the new mounting system to have clearence, any suggestions on the best way to go about this. I figure drill a hole and use a saw?? knive???
any help would be appreciated

Glen
05klt

·
Registered
282 Posts
glenhinegardner said:
Just got a set of the new MickOPegs and need some help with the tipover wing removal. I've done a search but cant find anything?

I have looked under the wing and it seems simple, I have ground lighting and was wondering if those light unplug during removal?

Also, I must make a notch for the new mounting system to have clearence, any suggestions on the best way to go about this. I figure drill a hole and use a saw?? knive???
any help would be appreciated

Glen
05klt
Glen,
I had to do that to install my XL J-pegs. It's pretty simple. There are 4 screws under the black wing. Two of those screws underneath the black part of the wing must be removed. You can get away without removing the screws holding the ground light. It will seem pretty tight removing the black wing because of the ground light but, once the black part of the wing is removed, you can unplug the ground light and move on to the chrome part wich has a screw at the rear near the bmw power outlet and two more under the wing itself. Once again, it's just a matter of jockeying the piece out of the clips that hold it in place in front at the tupperware. You have to be careful to watch and make sure the clips stay on the chrome piece as they have a tendency to come off with the black piece and/or when you slide the chrome piece out over the tipover bars. Don't know if you have to pull the wing itself off, but if so, that's an allen wrench fitting and the wing sometimes comes off hard because it fits the hole so closely.
I had to put holes in the underside of the black wing and used a dremel for that. Using the template that came with my J-pegs, it was easy.
Good luck!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,018 Posts
You have to remove (two screws) and unplug the ground lights before you remove the black cover. Install in reverse order. You should have had a template from Mic-O-Peg for the clearance holes.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Tipover removal

I've had mine off a few times and the ground light removal is a wasted effort. Just remove the two other screws and you can unplug the ground lights without removing the fixture.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Glen,

When I install my J-peg XLs I used a Dremmel tool to make the cuts. It allowed me to make simple, precise cuts. That's my recommendation.

As far as removal of the wings...not a problem as everyone as said.

Keith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts