BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realised recently during a major service that the side panels under the front seat are held in place by 4 screws per side, with the lower front screw only accessible once the main side upper fairing panel is removed. This is a pain if you wish to gain access to the ABS modulator unit to do a brake system fluid flush (for example). Solution - leave out the forward lower screw on each side panel. To remove the panels you just need to remove the remaining (3) screws, then with the pannier doors open, slide the side panels back and outwards to remove them, easy, and no longer part of any sequence. Hope this helps others, anything to simplify things.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Tiger955 said:
Do you get any rattling out of the panel with one screw missing?
Do you get any rattling YET out of the panel with one screw missing?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, no rattles (yet), but if any develop I'll slip the panels out and fit a piece of sponge where the speed nut is located. The panels are quite firm, even with the lower screw left out.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,421 Posts
I find I can remove it by pulling away the lower part of the big panel and getting in there ofset with a T-20 vs. a T-25. I also put a small o-ring on the screw to keep it attached to the panel.

Just the way I do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts