BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best sealant to use on the timing chain cover? The stuff that was on there did not work too well as I had seepage at the bottom and when I took the cover off, I only found a few strands of some rubbery like stuff. I don't want to do this again as it is a real pain to get this cover off.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
tonyn1 said:
What is the best sealant to use on the timing chain cover? The stuff that was on there did not work too well as I had seepage at the bottom and when I took the cover off, I only found a few strands of some rubbery like stuff. I don't want to do this again as it is a real pain to get this cover off.
Hi, Tony -

Manual I have sez to clean and degrease the sealing face of the cover, then use a thin coat of Omni VISC 1002all along the outer mating surfaces, butt when it comes to the bolt holes, go around them to the inside. There are two 'expansion' grooves, opposite each other about a third of the way back from the wide end of the cover, and the manual sez to fill those with sealing compound. And to remove excess sealing compound with a spatula!! Hopefully, someone will know what Omni VISC 1002 is, or at least have an equivalent. Good luck.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't quite clear about what you meant on the bolt holes. Do you mean to put some of the sealant inside the hole where the bolt goes through so that it gets on the bolt? That sealant, as near as I can tell, is a silicone rubber type but it is hard to track down as any BMW number I can find does not return a result. If that what was used before, I don't know if I want to try that again as I had some leakage right from the factory with that. Unfortunately, by the time I noticed it, my bike was no longer under warranty.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
tonyn1 said:
I wasn't quite clear about what you meant on the bolt holes. Do you mean to put some of the sealant inside the hole where the bolt goes through so that it gets on the bolt? That sealant, as near as I can tell, is a silicone rubber type but it is hard to track down as any BMW number I can find does not return a result. If that what was used before, I don't know if I want to try that again as I had some leakage right from the factory with that. Unfortunately, by the time I noticed it, my bike was no longer under warranty.
The pic in the manual shows the trail of sealant running along the mating surfaces, and when it comes to bolt holes, the trail tracks around one side of the bolt hole; that being the side toward the 'innards' of the case cover.

At the moment, I don't have a printer machine in order to scan page 11.47 of the shop manual. Maybe someone else can do that for you. Or maybe someone with a Clymer manual can help.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I used Permatex Ultra Black Gasket Maker on just about everything, works just great. Available just about anywhere.

You do NOT need to put it on so that it gets on the screw threads. It only needs to seal the surfaces, as Dick said, on the INSIDE surface around the screw holes to keep oil from getting from the inside to the screws, where it would eventually leak around the screw head.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got the manuals, but thanks anyway. I just wanted to see what people could recommend that was better as the factory method did not work so well and if that was the case, maybe their manual would not be correct either. Maybe I'll try the Permatex stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts