BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
After over 45 years and several hundred thousand of miles riding it is with a sad heart that I must say goodbye to riding. Back in the late 70's I had a major motorcycle accident that kept me in the hospital a few weeks with skin graphs and surgeries. Fast forward to now and those old injuries are coming back to haunt me along with arthritis in my right hand making very painful to work the throttle so I've decided to sell the K1600GTL and retire from riding.

I'll be moving on to a 2 seater convertible roadster possibly a Saturn Sky (a car I've always liked the looks of) The bike will be going to my local dealer this week and they will either buy it out right (if the price is right) or put it on consignment and sell it for me.

I've made so many great friends through the bikes I've had that I will always keep in touch with and will stop in here from time to time to see how everyone is doing. So I guess it's not really goodbye but till we met again. If you see a wild eyed, gray haired old man in a little roadster chasing you down on a curve road it might just be me. :grin:
Good luck with your new adventures! Many of us can relate. I bought a convertible hoping it would ease the pain.
I quit riding a while back after cranking out 30,000 miles year after year after year... and, I recently got back on the road when my health has improved enough to enjoy the ride... for now, the convertible stays in the garage and I am back riding gratefully!

Cheers to all you do!

·
Registered
2018 K1600 BGA
2,016 Posts
Just got back on the site Steve and saw this post (From your profile) I completely understand the move to 4 wheels! Have to say I've considered that option myself. Just purchased a 2018 K1600BGA and it has renewed my lust for 2 wheels! Hopefully we'll see each other again and if you're in the Northern Indiana region, give me a shout.

Happy adventures my friend.

Reactions: katnapinn

·
Premium Member
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Just got back on the site Steve and saw this post (From your profile) I completely understand the move to 4 wheels! Have to say I've considered that option myself. Just purchased a 2018 K1600BGA and it has renewed my lust for 2 wheels! Hopefully we'll see each other again and if you're in the Northern Indiana region, give me a shout.

Happy adventures my friend.
Thanks my brother, BTW nice new ride. Enjoy the "B"

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Dan, move on to a new doctor. How can you get out and walk (loose some weight and feel good walking) if your knees are killing you. Chicken and the egg thing, no vision by that doctor. I am on the border line too for rides. Want to go to Utah for a two week trip next summer but I wake up in the morning thinking that I'm glad I'm not 4 days away from home. Sad state of affairs for many of us. A little hyjack, my knee was terrible for years. One day I could not walk from my garage to the house. Went in and said this is it. New Knee and all is so much better. A pal had both done at once worked out well. Go for it. We need all the tricks to keep riding. I told my knee doctor that I rode and needed plenty of degrees of bend when all said and done. He came through. No problem on the bikes. I am enjoying my WRX though.:wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Holy hatpins! Has it really been two years since I visited the old LT Forum? Lots of water under the bridge, wonder if Steve is still visiting here from time to time? I almost gave up my FJR last June; have been riding the Ryker since April. But now both of them are in my garage here in Ruidoso Downs, New Mexico.

Safe sailing in the Miata, Steve, drop by if you are ever in the southern mountains of New Mexico!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I have to join the group in wishing you best of luck. Many of us are faced with the decision of when to give up two wheels. I think about it frequently. Like you, I've been riding nearly 60 years, I'll be 80 this August, and struggle with how much longer I can safely continue riding. My replacement, a 335i convertible is already in the garage waiting for me! So, Best of Luck to you and enjoy the new ride.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Wearing out is no fun.
I have had some success with Ozone injections into the knee, appears to actually promote cartilage growth.
Dr. Robert Rowen in CA has been an Ozone promoter for years. see the link below for a patient's response after one injection.

This is not steroid injection (which is actually destructive to cartilage).

I'm sure there are some Ozone practitioners in Austin.

Reactions: katnapinn

·
Registered
152 Posts
This is a sad decision, but when you have to take it, you don't have a lot of choices.:crying:
I am way younger but suffer from arthritis too. This is the reason why I bought a k12lt with a sidecar. The big improvement for me is the cruise control and I am making a good use of it.
I am also planning to make a floor board between the sidecar and the bike. I will be able to stretch my right leg which is the worst one.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.