BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After over 45 years and several hundred thousand of miles riding it is with a sad heart that I must say goodbye to riding. Back in the late 70's I had a major motorcycle accident that kept me in the hospital a few weeks with skin graphs and surgeries. Fast forward to now and those old injuries are coming back to haunt me along with arthritis in my right hand making very painful to work the throttle so I've decided to sell the K1600GTL and retire from riding.

I'll be moving on to a 2 seater convertible roadster possibly a Saturn Sky (a car I've always liked the looks of) The bike will be going to my local dealer this week and they will either buy it out right (if the price is right) or put it on consignment and sell it for me.

I've made so many great friends through the bikes I've had that I will always keep in touch with and will stop in here from time to time to see how everyone is doing. So I guess it's not really goodbye but till we met again. If you see a wild eyed, gray haired old man in a little roadster chasing you down on a curve road it might just be me. :grin:

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Sorry to see you go, but totally understand your issues. We will miss your valuable input on peoples issues with their LT’s.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
A tough call I'm sure, Steve, but I respect you for making it. Good luck with everything in the future.

I sure appreciated your and Sammie's hospitality when I was living/working in NOLA, joining you for some of your local club's weekend RTEs. Maybe they'll let you continue to attend if you park out back. :grin:

Reactions: katnapinn

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Sorry to hear that Steve, some of us put on a few pounds as we age and others just add a few wheels :)

I really enjoy my BMW 330ci convertible and at one time I had my eye on a Sky back in 97 but got the a used SC2 instead. Had a good time with it for several years. I know we will still be seeing you around the area. Good Luck my friend.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I understand...sorry to so you go

any specialty tools you want to get rid of

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
It's a tough decision Steve and I've wondered how or under what circumstances I'll have to consider it. Most all of my major trips are 2-up and I don't want to jeopardize my wife's safety nor mine.

Quite a few of our local club's members are in the 70's and we enjoy weekly RTE's after a breakfast meeting. More recently one or two will just come to breakfast and not that the 2-3 hour journey on the back roads of Ohio and Pennsylvania.

I understand the pain and discomfort but you have created so many great memories that will take you into the future.

Ride on . . . on four wheels!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Stevie you just come on however many wheels you need (a wheelchair has 2) ha ha. We aren't just about bikes - you are one of the gang just show up in your wheels.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Now would be the time for you to upgrade that old LT fo a better bike. >:)
the bike is like an old friend....she is on the operating table now...rear seal....we will see how she and I fair..

·
Registered
866 Posts
Had this conversation recently with an old riding friend. I voiced that either "we make the decision or the decision gets made for us".
As long as I feel "safe" I will continue managing my risk, barring medical issues - but I see the end coming with over 46 successful years of continual riding.
Tic, Tic, Tic. Raising a glass to us all who share being both lucky and good riders at the same time. Smile. :thumb:

Attachments

·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had this conversation recently with an old riding friend. I voiced that either "we make the decision or the decision gets made for us".
As long as I feel "safe" I will continue managing my risk, barring medical issues - but I see the end coming with over 46 successful years of continual riding.
Tic, Tic, Tic. Raising a glass to us all who share being both lucky and good riders at the same time. Smile. :thumb:
Amen to that brother. For my it's more of a safety issue since I only have about half of the grip strength in my right hand as I had a year or two ago. I've been struggling with this decision for about 2 years now but my and my wive's safety is more important to me then 2 wheels of fun. I want to go out on my terms not someone else.

On a good note I did pick up this little beauty yesterday so I'll still be hitting the great roads this great country has.

Info Here

Attachments

·
just a guy
31 Posts
Hi Steve, I think you made a wise choice with the Miata. Should be way better than the Saturn. Much more reliable, support etc. I hope it treats you well. They are such a joy to drive.
I've had a few bounce tests over the years,and the after affects are slowing me down too. Will be sending good thoughts your way!
all the best,
Mike

·
Registered
866 Posts
Amen to that brother. For my it's more of a safety issue since I only have about half of the grip strength in my right hand as I had a year or two ago. I've been struggling with this decision for about 2 years now but my and my wive's safety is more important to me then 2 wheels of fun. I want to go out on my terms not someone else.

On a good note I did pick up this little beauty yesterday so I'll still be hitting the great roads this great country has.

Info Here
*Funny, I have been saying lately my next motorcycle is going to be a new C7 stick shift Corvette!! I am attracted to the Miata for the same reasons but more comfortable in the Vette.

Attachments

·
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the deed is done Ernie and Pauline flew in last weekend and road off on the old girl on Monday. Sammie & I showed them around the Texas Hill Country on Sunday to get use to the bike. They were on GTL following us in the Miata. Here are 2 picks, one with Ernie at my go to picture spot at the old Driftwood store and one of me having a change of heart and wanting the bike back. >:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Hate to see you give up riding, Stevie, but I understand. I don't get out as much as I used to although, I seem to feel better when I get back than when I started. But I definitely can't ride as many miles at a time. Hey, PP what say we get a RTE (or DTE for Steve)? No matter how old we get, pie is still the answer!:toast::yeah:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts