BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put over 200,000 miles on 3 different K1200LT. I bought the current one (2009) in in 2012 with 10,000 miles on it and it Saturday it turned 105,000 miles on the odometer on a trip from Mesa to Williams, AZ. On the return trip coming down I-17 at about 80 mph, I heard a grinding or scraping noise coming from the rear and thought I had a tire problem. When I got pulled over to check, both tires were fine and the bike started again and sounded normal. I thought I would pull ahead a little and try to figure out the problem but the bike would not move. I could tell the brakes weren't locked up, but it just wouldn't move so I was pretty sure that it was the final drive.
I called a friend to bring up my trailer and my manual cable ratchet winch.
BTW, I was 90 miles from home so it was over two hours and after dark waiting for the trailer to show. We started winching it onto the ramp and it suddenly rolled a little, so I unhooked the winch and was able to ride it onto the trailer. This morning I could get it in reverse and back it off the trailer, but could tell there was a little noise there.
I drained the final drive fluid and was surprised that there was no metal shavings, so decided to remove the final drive anyway. As soon as I started to remove the boot to the driveshaft, chunks of metal were falling out.
Road surface Pollution Asphalt Soil Event

When I got the final drive off I could see that the U-Joint was destroyed and tore up the inside of the final drive casing..
Automotive tire Door Wood Art Rim

My riding has changed since I retired a few years ago. We travel in the motorhome 5 months of the year and I bought a Harley Super Glide that was lighter and easier to load on the motorhome's Cruiser Lift. I only put about 1000 miles on the LT in the last year. As I said the bike has 105,000 miles and is not in perfect shape. It is past due for a full service (valve adjustment/brake flush) and the radio died on it last year.
With the poor resale value of the K1200LT, I really don't think it is worth fixing, so will likely be posting some parts for sale in the near future.
The K1200 LTs are great bikes and I am sure that no matter what else I ride, I will miss the long road trips on them.

Lowell

·
IBR# 366
16,649 Posts
Bummer about the bike.

Glad no one was hurt.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Wow, that kind of damage doesn't just happen, it's been coming for some time. You got lucky that it didn't happen even further from home and that it didn't cause an accident. It looks like it has almost worn completely through the swing arm casing. That must have been putting out some heat.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that kind of damage doesn't just happen, it's been coming for some time. You got lucky that it didn't happen even further from home and that it didn't cause an accident. It looks like it has almost worn completely through the swing arm casing. That must have been putting out some heat.
I think the casing damage was just gouged out by parts of the u-joint. I had traveled at freeway speeds for about 100 miles when it happened. I did not hear or feel anything unusual, but I am partially deaf anyway and at speed, I probably would not hear aluminum being ground up. I do feel lucky it did not totally lock the rear wheel, because at that speed I probably would have gone down.
Lowell

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,064 Posts
It looks likes water got in there at one time & washed out the grease.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow. Sounds like you were pretty lucky. I live in PeoriaAz and ride up north a lot. I have an 06 and 05 LT. If you are going to part the bike out let me know. I might be interested in some items.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ivahl please let me know when you start listing parts I need a few to finish the restoration of my LT
I am listing parts in the classified. Email me at lowellvahl at Gmail.com with what you need and I can send pictures
Lowell

1 - 9 of 9 Posts