BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All in BMW land:

I just completed a round trip from Santa Rosa, CA to LA and back using my 2009 K1200LT. The bike ran flawlessly. The temps were in the mid 90's on I-5 going down on Monday and I returned using US-101 and the temps were in the low 100's. I definitely learned a few things on this trip. The easy things I learned are:
1. Cool vest to keep the core temp down during hot weather riding.
2. Hydration system to sip water while riding.
3, Even with mesh riding gear you will still sweat in the heat!

Now to the biggest complaint I have, the stock seat!. This is the third ride to LA using the stock seat. I have to stop very 50 to 60 miles due to Sore Ass Syndrome. A gel cell pro pad helped for about 90 miles then I was back to the 50 or 60 miles. So I will be looking for upgrading the seat. I have looked through this web site and have reviewed all the different seat manufacturers and everyone's opinion on them.

I am hoping to find someone in the San Francisco Bay area or the Sacramento area who has the Kontour seat on their K1200LT. I would like to look at the seat before I spend that kind of money. When I do decide I will be doing both seats and back rests.

May you have a great day and keep the rubber on the road.
:bmw:

·
Registered
322 Posts
I recommend a Russell Day Long saddle. I have had three in the past with other bikes and all were fantastic. For my LT I decided to give Rich's in the Seattle area a try, a big mistake. I sent the seat back to Rich's twice to get the sore butt problem resolved and they were unable to fix the problem. I gave Rich's a try because their seats are waterproof and Russell Day Long's are not. I recently bought another seat pan and I plan to send it off to Russell's. You can't go wrong with a Russell saddle; just look at the number of high mileage riders that use them. Please post what you decide to get and the results.
Scott

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
DanMartin said:
Jim,
You are always welcome to borrow a Kontour Magnum or a Corbin anytime.

Dan M
Dan,
Can I borrow your Kontour on an open-ended basis> I will leave my Corbin as collateral. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
tholdroaddog said:
Hello All in BMW land:

I just completed a round trip from Santa Rosa, CA to LA and back using my 2009 K1200LT. The bike ran flawlessly. The temps were in the mid 90's on I-5 going down on Monday and I returned using US-101 and the temps were in the low 100's. I definitely learned a few things on this trip. The easy things I learned are:
1. Cool vest to keep the core temp down during hot weather riding.
2. Hydration system to sip water while riding.
3, Even with mesh riding gear you will still sweat in the heat!

Now to the biggest complaint I have, the stock seat!. This is the third ride to LA using the stock seat. I have to stop very 50 to 60 miles due to Sore Ass Syndrome. A gel cell pro pad helped for about 90 miles then I was back to the 50 or 60 miles. So I will be looking for upgrading the seat. I have looked through this web site and have reviewed all the different seat manufacturers and everyone's opinion on them.

I am hoping to find someone in the San Francisco Bay area or the Sacramento area who has the Kontour seat on their K1200LT. I would like to look at the seat before I spend that kind of money. When I do decide I will be doing both seats and back rests.

May you have a great day and keep the rubber on the road.
:bmw:
Not trying to talk you out of a new seat, but I had a similiar problem when I got my 2007. Given the cost of a new seat, I decided to try some simple things first. The main problems I had were sweating and seams in the wrong places.

I solved the sweating problem with a Bead Rider. I found this a great improvement, although mine is the old wooden bead version and is falling apart after 4 years and when wet the black dye bleeds onto light colored pants. I believe they have since converted to ceramic beads.

A year after getting the Bead Rider, I decided I still needed something else to get past 300 miles in a day. I bought a pair of LDComfort riding shorts. Made a huge additional improvement. I can now ride 500 miles in a day in relatively good comfort.

My seat is getting a little flat after 5 years and 32,000 miles so I can feel the seat pan towards the end of a long day and will probably need seat work at some point, but the BR and LDC shorts help a lot for relatively little money.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I already use the LDC riding shorts. My problem is how soft the seat is on the 09 that when I go over a bump I hit the pan. No support at all. The pro pad I have been using does not allow me to slide around but I do stick to it. I have not thought about beads. I am still inclined to have the seat redone.

:wave :wave

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't have a Russell, but have never heard a bad thing about them. I personally would rather have them do the seat with me and the bike there. Which requires an appointment and usually a long wait to get it. Good part is they do it in one day and you can have any adjustments made before you ride off into the sunset.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Went with a Russell onmy 09 the difference was a 20 minute ride before I absolutely had to get off the bike to an all-day ride never having to get off. Ya its a bit spendy but if you plan onriding longer than a few minutes at a time it’s a worthwhile investment . The second best investment is shocks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 09 was also equipped with the Bridgestone tires and had a badly cupped front tire at 9500 miles. I replaced both tires with the Metzler ME 880s. What a difference in the ride. All thanks to the members of this forum. The ride is great with the new tires handling has improved, shock can wait until after the seat issue is resolved. I have noticed those how use the Metzlers have a front PSI of 42 and a rear PSI of 48. The sidewall of the tire says at max load PSI should be 50?

I am going to have both seats, passenger and driver back rest all redone should I choose to do so. I have checked the following aftermarket seat companies:
1. Russell
2.Corbin
3.Mayer
4. Astech Seats
5. KonTour Seats

Based on the prices listed on their websites,the first four all are within $100.00 of each other. I have yet to hear from KonTour. Another small issue I have with the first four is all require a rain cover which is an additional charge and another piece of equipment to carry around.

I will keeps everyone posted as to my decision. Too bad BMW did not put a decent seat on the bike in the first place.

:wave

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've spent many hours on this same decision for my 2007 LT after a few 300+ mile rides in hot weather. My conclusion is Russell is the only option for me, I've ordered but am waiting a production date. Since you're close, the ride-in service lets you get it in 1 day if you go that route.

I had both heat/sweat and sore butt issues. I made a homemade beadrider and that solved the heat/sweat, but I still have the pain from sitting very long. The thing that distinguishes Russell (imo) is the suspension / custom fitting. I'm 250lbs and I just see no options for relief unless I get a wider seat with the type of suspension that Russell adds.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'll be going Russell, but I think Kontour my be better if your riding is in hot parts of the country. A cooler seat. Ron's a bit on the high side, but good quality I'm told. I just finished a 200 mile ride in 105-106 degree heat on stock seat and am still trying to pull my pants away from my butt. Based on a bad experience I had, I cannot recommend R. Mayer.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was all set to order a Russell Day-Long when I saw a post for a like-new AirHawk seat cushion. I figured for about half the price of a new AirHawk, what the hell, I'd try it. I've been on several six to seven hour rides, and a few 12-14 hour days with it and, holy shlamoley, what a difference! Solved all of my ass problems. It's not very pretty, but it works for me. Best $60.00 I ever spent.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I finally decided which way I am going to go. I opted for the KonTour seat. This decision was not easy. Cost was a part of the decision but not the final issue. I was able to look at other motorcycles which had the Corbin and Russell seats. I even talked to a couple of riders who had purchased Mayer seats and have switched to Russell.

It looks like I will be the first BMW in the Santa Rosa CA area with the Kontour seat. I am having the rider seat done to the magnum option. The passenger seat to their specs and both back rests redone to match. All I am waiting on is a production date. I just hope the date is closer to November since the riding weather is still great here in Northern California.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.

·
Premium Member
7,839 Posts
tholdroaddog said:
Well I finally decided which way I am going to go. I opted for the KonTour seat. This decision was not easy. Cost was a part of the decision but not the final issue. I was able to look at other motorcycles which had the Corbin and Russell seats. I even talked to a couple of riders who had purchased Mayer seats and have switched to Russell.

It looks like I will be the first BMW in the Santa Rosa CA area with the Kontour seat. I am having the rider seat done to the magnum option. The passenger seat to their specs and both back rests redone to match. All I am waiting on is a production date. I just hope the date is closer to November since the riding weather is still great here in Northern California.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.
If you think about it, please drop a note back here with your impressions of the Kontour. I came close to ordering a Kontour a few years ago, but had second thoughts and decided against it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will post my thoughts about the KonTour Seat when it arrives and after I have ridden on it for a while. All will depend on the production date. :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, I decided to pick up a airhawk 2 (the cheaper-made $99 version) while waiting for a date for a russell. I was much more impressed than I thought I would be. Being a big guy I thought it would not benefit much ... but I did 400 miles Sunday and had zero pain when I arrived home.

It took a couple stops over the first 100 miles to get the air pressure right (it has to be much lower than you think it should be), but after that it was great. Not a bad temporary solution for the money.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.