BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two years ago, I bought a 1999 Lt with a Hannigan sidecar.
At the time, I owned 3 K bikes (k100 & K75) and knew them so well that I could take them in pieces on the side of the road (Rest insured that I never had to do that ;)).
The new Lt is quite different, and I had to learn a lot.
I quickly registered to this forum, and collected as much information as possible. Members were great and not shy of sharing their experience and solutions. I even received free parts from some of you.
One thing that I never found was a good colored electrical schematic. As a result, few weeks ago I started to draw one for the 1999-2000 model. It was quite a challenge, but the first batch is done. Next, I will work on the SLP ones.
As this week end, in Canada we celebrate Thanksgiving Day and since I “harvested” so much information from you guys, I found the time appropriate to give back to this community.
I uploaded a PDF copy of my diagrams on my server (kforum-tech.com).
The file is available for free at: www.kforum-tech.com/K1200_to_share/
All individual drawing (in high resolution) are also available at: http://www.kforum-tech.com/K1200_to_share/PNG/ but you will need a username and password to access it.
Why? Over my last 22 years owning K bikes, I wrote a lot of technical documentation and found that unscrupulous people were selling my work. This is unacceptable when I personally shared it for free.
As I trust each and every members of this forum, you’ll just have to send me a PM and I will reply to you with the needed credentials.
Happy riding and cheers to everybody.

Font Poster Gas Personal protective equipment Fictional character

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
164 Posts
Two years ago, I bought a 1999 Lt with a Hannigan sidecar.
At the time, I owned 3 K bikes (k100 & K75) and knew them so well that I could take them in pieces on the side of the road (Rest insured that I never had to do that ;)).
The new Lt is quite different, and I had to learn a lot.
I quickly registered to this forum, and collected as much information as possible. Members were great and not shy of sharing their experience and solutions. I even received free parts from some of you.
One thing that I never found was a good colored electrical schematic. As a result, few weeks ago I started to draw one for the 1999-2000 model. It was quite a challenge, but the first batch is done. Next, I will work on the SLP ones.
As this week end, in Canada we celebrate Thanksgiving Day and since I “harvested” so much information from you guys, I found the time appropriate to give back to this community.
I uploaded a PDF copy of my diagrams on my server (kforum-tech.com).
The file is available for free at: www.kforum-tech.com/K1200_to_share/
All individual drawing (in high resolution) are also available at: http://www.kforum-tech.com/K1200_to_share/PNG/ but you will need a username and password to access it.
Why? Over my last 22 years owning K bikes, I wrote a lot of technical documentation and found that unscrupulous people were selling my work. This is unacceptable when I personally shared it for free.
As I trust each and every members of this forum, you’ll just have to send me a PM and I will reply to you with the needed credentials.
Happy riding and cheers to everybody.

View attachment 175568
Crazy Frog:

Thank you very much I'll wait for the later models if that's coming (2003-LTE) I too have benefitted much from users of this site and hope to be a provider like your self one day!

Reactions: meese

·
Registered
237 Posts
WOW! This is amazing work! I can blow this thing up to 100% the width of my 49" monitor and it's crystal clear. PLEASE tell me one is coming for the later bikes!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW! This is amazing work! I can blow this thing up to 100% the width of my 49" monitor and it's crystal clear. PLEASE tell me one is coming for the later bikes!!!
This was supposed to be a winter project, but I got carried away. I may work on later model too, but it definitely won't be before few months. First I will make the SLP schematics for the 2000.

It took me a great amount of time to create the very sharp wires library. Now it's available for any schematics (Just drag and drop).
BTW, I tried projecting them on my 10 foot screen in the garage and it's as sharp as a picture. The original drawings are too big to upload. They are on average 8,000 x 6,000 pixels at a resolution of 600 pixel/inch.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This was supposed to be a winter project, but I got carried away. I may work on later model too, but it definitely won't be before few months. First I will make the SLP schematics for the 2000.

It took me a great amount of time to create the very sharp wires library. Now it's available for any schematics (Just drag and drop).
BTW, I tried projecting them on my 10 foot screen in the garage and it's as sharp as a picture. The original drawings are too big to upload. They are on average 8,000 x 6,000 pixels at a resolution of 600 pixel/inch.
Well I'm hoping that the wiring hasn't changed too much for the primary systems. I know other stuff is there (EHCS, locks, etc) and the dash is totally different, but I hope the main stuff is largely the same. Excellent work and thank you!

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Nice work! I am curious what software you used to create these? I ask because I am creating schematics for my home built airplane and have not found any e-cad software that I really like, at least that doesn’t cost a fortune. I am currently using PowerPoint, but it is quite tedious.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am using a 12 years old version of Photoshop (Version 8).
I created a template with samples of most of the wires colors.
I then create a file for one schematic to be done and simply drag and drop the wire layer from the template to the schematic. After, I can manipulate this wire(move, cut, rotate....). It's still a lot of work...
One of the advantage of this method is that each wire color is on its own layer. For example, if I want to show all the ground points, I just turn ON the brown wires layer.
Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Screenshot Font Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Font Line Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

Since I retired, I lost my Autodesk academic license (I worked for a school board). I just found a software very similar to Autocad and totally free :);):
https://nanocad.com/products/nanoCAD/
i can open all designs previously made with Autocad.
It is pretty powerful even in 3D.
30 years ago, I wrote a software for Autocad to convert GPS data points into mesh. The goal was to generate a 3D map of a city and analyze the propagation of cell phone waves to find the best place for the towers.
I just reopen the design of the city of Halifax with Nanocad, and even if it's a huge file, it's working fast and nicely.
Product Rectangle Urban design Font Screenshot

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
I will give nanocad a look. I tried SolidWorks Electrical as I have free access to that as an EAA member, but it is a pathetic piece of software. After three weeks of trying to beat it into submission, I gave up and went back to PowerPoint as it does what I need, but is tedious. However, once I got most of the symbols I needed created, it is going fairly fast now, just a lot of manual work to label wires and such.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For people using SLP2 software, I have a question:
On the legend, you find "STVB" and "DRS". What do these acronyms stand for? Do they need to be specifically indicated on the upgraded schematic?
I think I will be able to move along very quickly to draw all the 1999/2001 schematics.

One of the big job is to identify the specific schematic file name for each design and I am wondering if somebody would help me for the 2001/2003 and 2003 and up?
For example, the graphic file for the 2001/2003 map light and top case light is K12lt_01_3_16_BG_145.WMF.
What are the file names for other functions?
If member(s) could send me a text file identifying different schematics, I would certainly try to cover every years of the SLP2 software.
The file could be in a simple format like:
1999-2001 Indicators and horn: K12lt_01_3_03_BG_43.wmf
1999-2001 lights and brake light: K12LT_2_BG_39.wmf....
All the graphic file of SLP2 are on the "graphic" sub-directory(This should be obvious). :unsure:

Thanks in advance

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,019 Posts
STVB = plug and DRS is Double Relay Socket. Look in "info" tab for abbreviations. I suspect the "legend" data is buried in on of the .dat files as I cannot find that info.

Font Number

1 - 12 of 12 Posts