BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
901 - 920 of 921 Posts

· Registered
1999 BMW K1200LT
3 Posts
Back in the game! Owned a 1988 K100LT in the early ninety's, then inherited my father-in-law's 2001 GL1800 'wing. Loved both bikes. Sold the 'Wing in 2018 and have been bike-less since then, until two weeks ago, when I found this pristine '99 K1200LT, immaculately kept and maintained, with only 24k miles on it, for sale 15 miles from my house, so I had to get it. After riding it for a couple of weeks, I must say that I love it! That six-cylinder Wing was great, had lots of power, but I must say this old K-bike is no slouch, and I find that it fits me better than the Wing did, and the ride is awesome.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do with the old radio. Since my iPhone paired with Shoei/Sena helmets is now my primary audio system, should I keep the old radio, replace it, or remove it and regain the top-tank storage area? There are times that I like to hear some open-air audio blasting from the speakers, but I can live without it. The CD changer is gone, so if there was a way to interface with the iPhone to the old radio that might be an option.

It's great to be back on the road. My wife and I both forgot how much we missed riding!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
1,500 Posts
Back in the game! Owned a 1988 K100LT in the early ninety's, then inherited my father-in-law's 2001 GL1800 'wing. Loved both bikes. Sold the 'Wing in 2018 and have been bike-less since then, until two weeks ago, when I found this pristine '99 K1200LT, immaculately kept and maintained, with only 24k miles on it, for sale 15 miles from my house, so I had to get it. After riding it for a couple of weeks, I must say that I love it! That six-cylinder Wing was great, had lots of power, but I must say this old K-bike is no slouch, and I find that it fits me better than the Wing did, and the ride is awesome.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do with the old radio. Since my iPhone paired with Shoei/Sena helmets is now my primary audio system, should I keep the old radio, replace it, or remove it and regain the top-tank storage area? There are times that I like to hear some open-air audio blasting from the speakers, but I can live without it. The CD changer is gone, so if there was a way to interface with the iPhone to the old radio that might be an option.

It's great to be back on the road. My wife and I both forgot how much we missed riding! View attachment 180781
I'm in the same book as you. Removed the radio because it had a bad channel and still haven't decided what to do. I'm currently just enjoying the fact I have an actual glove box to keep my gloves in. :D

· Premium Member
903 Posts
I'm in the same book as you. Removed the radio because it had a bad channel and still haven't decided what to do. I'm currently just enjoying the fact I have an actual glove box to keep my gloves in. :D
I yanked the radio, speakers, rear box, and CD player after I bought my bike.
I use Bluetooth in my headset which has an FM radio. I can listen to GPS and whatnot, but I generally prefer to listen to the engine and tires while I ride.
I use the stingray for odds and ends and I added some switches and power ports. I have added a few more switches in the front of the box since then for internal lighting, and driving lights which I usually leave on all the time. I can switch off the headlight, and driving lights in campground situations.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

I carry my cellphone in my jacket pocket, but if the battery needs a charge after a long day on the road I can plug it into my tank bag to charge, or the stingray.

Plant Motor vehicle Luggage and bags Reflex camera Automotive tire

Low tech solution to cover where the radio controls used to be... a heat molded piece of ABS plastic worked for what I needed it to do. No issues in pouring rain during my cross country travels!
With the front speakers removed, I get a little more ventilation on triple digit days. Win-win for me.
I removed all the plugs and wiring for the radio, speakers and rear box so if someone else wants to put them back in down the road, they can do it by just removing the Tupperware.
I prefer not to have a radio blaring as I ride. Bluetooth speakers in my helmet work for me!
Camera lens Audio equipment Cameras & optics Gadget Camera accessory

· Premium Member
903 Posts
Without the Corbin Smuggler box... riding in the San Gabriel valley and San Gabriel mountains in Southern California, USA.
I use a solo seat and Corbin Smuggler rear box instead of the trunk because my wife decided she is too old tor ride on the back of a motorcycle. It works for me. I feel better, too when she is home holding down the fort on my jaunts here and there.

Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

Solo seat with a rack on back. I bought a spare rear seat and removed the back support so it lays flat. I also removed the rear foot pegs. (I carry a Dustriders Motorcycle Hoist which I attach to the rear foot peg mounts if needed.)

Sky Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

The most comfortable touring bike I have ever owned.

Wheel Tire Cloud Fuel tank Sky

· Registered
1999 BMW K1200LT
3 Posts
I yanked the radio, speakers, rear box, and CD player after I bought my bike.
I use Bluetooth in my headset which has an FM radio. I can listen to GPS and whatnot, but I generally prefer to listen to the engine and tires while I ride.
I use the stingray for odds and ends and I added some switches and power ports. I have added a few more switches in the front of the box since then for internal lighting, and driving lights which I usually leave on all the time. I can switch off the headlight, and driving lights in campground situations.

View attachment 181065

I carry my cellphone in my jacket pocket, but if the battery needs a charge after a long day on the road I can plug it into my tank bag to charge, or the stingray.

View attachment 181064

Low tech solution to cover where the radio controls used to be... a heat molded piece of ABS plastic worked for what I needed it to do. No issues in pouring rain during my cross country travels!
With the front speakers removed, I get a little more ventilation on triple digit days. Win-win for me.
I removed all the plugs and wiring for the radio, speakers and rear box so if someone else wants to put them back in down the road, they can do it by just removing the Tupperware.
I prefer not to have a radio blaring as I ride. Bluetooth speakers in my helmet work for me!
View attachment 181063
So here’s my phone mount solution. I designed and 3d printed a shelf/cover that fits over the front of the stingray. On the shelf are mounting holes for my fog light switch, my RAM base, and a USB jack with voltmeter. It’s held on with painters tape/velcro. It works great nddoes not shake or vibrate when riding.
Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive exterior

· Registered
1999 BMW K1200LT
3 Posts
So here’s my phone mount solution. I designed and 3d printed a shelf/cover that fits over the front of the stingray. On the shelf are mounting holes for my fog light switch, my RAM base, and a USB jack with voltmeter. It’s held on with painters tape/velcro. It works great nddoes not shake or vibrate when riding. View attachment 181189
View attachment 181188
View attachment 181187
View attachment 181186 View attachment 181186 View attachment 181187 View attachment 181188 View attachment 181189
Oh and here are the fog/running lights I added.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

901 - 920 of 921 Posts