BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading the 'board' for awhile now trying to get a feel for the LT from the members...have to come out of the closet and ask a question...
As my name suggests (or not...) I have been riding a black GL1800 for a couple of years, or about 65,000 miles. Had a bad scare on a 2 lane in major downpour. Next time you are on a tractor trailer infested major 2 lane highway with no overpasses or exits plus a soft gravel shoulder, in your cage and its raining like it does in Fla. sometimes, turn off the windshield wipers. Now stick your head out the window to try and see. Leave your glasses on. Drive for 35 miles. Change pants for a couple of reasons. Sell bike with NON ADJUSTABLE WINDSHIELD WHILE RIDING (frame cracking is a bonus for some lucky folks...) FEATURES.

O.K. got that off my chest. Loved the '96 R1100RT for years and miles. Learned to hate the (clunk) transmission. So I am thinking, R1200RT or K1200LT.

The 12RT would be a wonderful upgrade on the 11RT, but the LT would be a 'logical' comparision to the GL18.

I use my bike, (can only have one, insurance + limited season here in 'Wintada' ), to commute the 120miles to and from work. Don't ride the Dragon but I would like to some day...L'il Red comes along halfadozen times a year when the weather is perfect and she feels like it.

My question is; is the LT a good solo bike or primarily a '2-up' machine. In other words for the few times she would come along, (see priorities above...), am I spending $$ for features (and weight, gulp) that I don't need to lug around every day. The GL was a wonderful bike for power and smooth delivery. The weight was a concern on cottage lawns and rutted dirt roads leading up to same. O.K. once a year but I still want to take the bike.

Jim

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either. I commute 125 miles each day on a combo of freeway and two lane canyon route, and I can't think of a better way to go than my LT. I also am guilty of oogling the 1200RT everytime i'm in the BMW toy store. Now, if I can just get my bride to sell the Tbird........

·
Registered
42 Posts
LT the sport bike

Well, not entirely! I just gave up a black Wing 1800 after four years and bought the LT. Don't tell my wife but I really prefer the LT solo and I ride it like a sport bike (as much as it allows).

Fact is that the Wing spoiled my with the storage space so the little extra bulk of the bags and trunk are a small trade off.

My vote is for the LT.

Enjoy

·
Registered
66 Posts
The LT is a great bike for cruising highways and curvy roads. I find it rather heavy and awkward to maneuver in traffic, so be aware, if that is the kind of driving you plan to do. I generally ride one up too, and find it an awesome machine above 20 mph. I love the amenities, such as ABS, radio, storage, riding position... too. IMHO, it does seem that the maintainence can be rather expensive if the dealer handles it, but not so bad if you are willing and able (read this board!) to do it yourself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't they (BMW) address the 'heavy, akward' in slow moving situations issue with the '05 model? The GL certainly was 'heavy' and the 'akward' part was only in play on uneven surfaces, see 'cottage lawn' etc. above...

The low seat position plus low(er) C of G helped the GL18, but at 5 10" and 42 yrs of riding, (next week!), I'm thinking the LT shouldn't be too bad ??

Jim

·
Registered
298 Posts
Akward?

Never found this Lt to be anywhere near Akward at anytime and that includes slow bearly needle moving. I'm thinking that after almost three years of riding the Lt that all those that get that Akward feeling are verticly challenged, Maybe? Yep. I'm 6'2 and think this bike is the best one out there all around hands down, hey maybe it has somthing to do with age too. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm with you on that one. I never found it top heavy or hard to handle & I had a GL1800 before it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
At 5'4" can be a bit of a handful at slow speed and reversing on uneven grass areas. Still, the grin factor is worth the slow speed issues.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
BlackWing18 said:
Didn't they (BMW) address the 'heavy, akward' in slow moving situations issue with the '05 model? The GL certainly was 'heavy' and the 'akward' part was only in play on uneven surfaces, see 'cottage lawn' etc. above...

The low seat position plus low(er) C of G helped the GL18, but at 5 10" and 42 yrs of riding, (next week!), I'm thinking the LT shouldn't be too bad ??

Jim
Any one of these 900LB bikes are awkward off road. The LT is no exception. IF you have been riding for 42 years you'll love the LT. Mainly cause you like to ride or you would not have been riding for 40+ years. I've been riding for only 33 years and have had Honda Twins, multiple dirt bikes, Venture Royale and then a GL1500 experience before moving to the LT over the winter of 2002.

The further you ride the more you'll like the LT. I'm a little bit taller than you. 5' 11' with a 31" inseam and I sit on my LT with the seat in either position flatfooted.

If you have a GL1800 you should be able to move to a very good used LT for almost no money.. that is what I did. My wife rode with me for many years but but as a rule doesn't now.. however she does come out for an occasional ride. The biggest problem I see with the LT two up is the reduced cargo/luggage space. If my wife was to travel with me long distance again I would not be able to pack everything.. :( necessary...

I work out of my home and use my LT as my mid-Spring to mid-Autumn transportation. I can pack enough stuff for two or three quick days and actually get paid for riding... The only thing that bothers me about commuting with the LT is stop and go... no lane splitting here.. don't trust them cagers and road rage.. However the good point about the LT in stop and go is the heat management. It's very... no .. awesome. The GL was horrible by comparison... If you don't need to take a lot of stuff with you you can remove the top box in 10 min and almost have a sport bike..

I typically don't take the LT out for a ride. Except for going to CCR :bmw:. The LT brought back the fun to driving for work... my M/C mileage tripled after I moved to the LT.. I start riding sooner and end later than I ever did before.

Yes, it's a handful moving it a slow speeds but once you understand how to maneuver under 5 MPH slow speed is not an issue. You'll probably drop it and bruise your ego but you have 40 years of experience.. I'm sure you have picked a bike up before..

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
BlackWing18 said:
Respect her, and you'll be fine. I commute daily on mine, suburbs into city. 5'7", 30" inseam. No worries with handling; I don't really even think about it anymore, I just go from point A to point B.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Go with the LT, solo, 2up & commute

I'm 5'10" and a 29" inseam and love the LT. Slow speed handling is just fine ('05) even 2 up with the trunk loaded with camera gear and another 15 lbs on the rack it's manageable - never awkward. It handles more like a sport touring bike than most think until they get on one.

Whether a daily commute, LD trip, a turn through the twisties or a quick trip to the store I get on the LT before anything else at this point. It also works well for about 1/2 of my Home Depot runs ;).

Dave

·
Registered
666 Posts
Well, as was stated earlier, either will do.
If size, weight, and slow speed are a big factor for you, go with the RT.
Otherwise the LT.

The LT will be much better on the slab. Much better protection from the elements. Many more toys. Handles extremely well at speed. At any sane speed (I.E. 70mph in a posted 35 mph curve, or slower) Shes great.

The LT will be a tad more work in tight stuff like the Dragon, but not too bad.

Parking Lots, stop and go traffic, U-Turns, and backup up are the only times the LT will give you pause. If you pay attention, follow the rules, its manageable, but for me not fun.

I'm fortunate enough to have a smaller, lighter, bike for commuting, and still have the LT for 2up and the slab.

You must ride both, and make your own mind up. Buy the one that leaves you with the biggest grin !!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Get the LT, take the trunk off for all the 1up driving you do (10 minute job), add the trunk when the signifigant other rides those few times a year. It is a different bike without the trunk.

·
Registered
49 Posts
sheinzer said:
Well, not entirely! I just gave up a black Wing 1800 after four years and bought the LT. Don't tell my wife but I really prefer the LT solo and I ride it like a sport bike (as much as it allows).

Fact is that the Wing spoiled my with the storage space so the little extra bulk of the bags and trunk are a small trade off.

My vote is for the LT.

Enjoy
I have my 2000 LT and just love it. It's fine when the wife is with me but I just love it when I'm alone and can do the comfy sport bike stuff.

The only time I've ever dropped my bike was in a parking garage 2 up and S-L-O-W while looking left and right trying to figure which way to go I looked left, wife moved right... wheel turned right... fell on the right. But the rubber (technical tem) thingies kept it up and nothing touched the ground.

It's a great bike and would get another in a heartbeat.... but then again, that 1200GS looks pretty nice too. I want to go to Alaska and just know my bike hates dirt, sand, mud or anything that's NOT asphalt or cement

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks Jack, that is the reason I like to use a bike to get to work and back, it puts some fun in the otherwise mind-numbing commute. Its also a help in the 'stay awake' dept. Especially those '0-dark-hundred' returns home.

I started on a BSA Ariel, 1959 version, so the newer bikes are generally all pretty outstanding. Too much choice, too high expectations? Makes us all a little jaded sometimes...

Rode a friends '76 Trident the other day. Ouch.

So I will start looking for a '05 LT. Wish BMW Motorad would honor the warranty on U.S. bikes up here in Canada. There is a tremendous selection of used bikes south of the border. Little choice here and the prices are, well, ouch again.

Jim

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've been trading the post and will tell you this. I have an 05 and the thought of doing a 120 mike comute on anything less would be just dumb. I got my bike with 36,772 miles on it. The previous owner went places. He never had a single warranty issue or major problem. He had a 6 yr. transferable warranty so I bought it. I go to my SO's place 73 miles away and back 3 times a week and sort of 'Comute" I guess. I get off the buke better than I get on it, comfort wise. I imagine the wing is sweet too. The rain here in Florida can be a bear. I LOVE the adjustable shield, I have a Cee Bailey #2 Plus 2 and it works great! I don't have too many twisty's down here but the on/ off ramps can be fun too! Buy an 05 used and don't look back, Did I mention the 42mpg at 70+mph? Buy it, you'll like it!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
if i were you, knowing what i know now, i'd probably opt for the RT. you sound like you enjoy the curves as well as the straights, and i think the RT is superior for that ... especially since you ride solo.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Had a VTX 1300 and traded up to the LT in Aug,2005. Bought it in Tampa and rode it back to Las Vegas one week after buying it..The grin factor was great then and is even bigger now.. I ride everyday locally just to get up on it. I'm 5'9" w/30" inseam. It was a handfull at first at slow speeds but with more experience under my belt now it handles nicely..I was out of the saddle for over 40 years(yeah, I'm in the medicare group, part B) and am now fulfilling my dream of riding with the wind whenever I feel like it.
The only drawback that I see is the bike is so quiet that I have to keep a wary eye on the cagers everytime I get close to one on the road. IMHO you can't go wrong with the LT.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I also considered the RT before I bought my LT. Could not get to like that two cylinder engine. The LT is much, much smoother.
I have no problem lane splitting with the LT. The difference in width between the LT and RT with bags is insignificant. The LT has more space - luggage and pillion - and a few more gadgets.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts