BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well it took 6 mos. but I finally did it. I dropped my LT. :mad: As usual, it was the result of being in-attentive. It was parked behind my RS in the garage, so I moved the LT out to get the RS. Got it out and moved the LT in place of it. Thought the kick stand was down, , , well, it was..... sorta. :confused: That was bad enough, but then my sons R6 was beside it and when she went down she caught my sons crotch rocket and flipped it over, hard. Didn't hurt my LT, but the R6 left rear tuperware cracked like a cheap egg shell. Soooooo, anybody got some YZF R6 parts laying around ? ? ? :rolleyes: Yah, the membership just grew to 1 more to that infamous long list. :rotf:

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Welcom

At least you didn't drop it twice in one day with your wife on it. :p I think Pete may have some decals and pins.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chuckle said:
At least you didn't drop it twice in one day with your wife on it. :p I think Pete may have some decals and pins.
Yup, that would really suck. I can't get mine to ride with me, so I usually ride solo, unless the daughter has free time, she likes to ride. And we did last weekend down to Yosemite. That was awsome. First big trip on the LT. She may be big, she may not like the slow speed stop and go stuff, but boy howdy, get her on the road and twisties, she's a hole different animal. :bmw: It's all about the ride. :dance:
Cheers,

·
Registered
49 Posts
Add me to the list

As a new member, I guess I should be added to the list of those that have laid her down. Fortunately, my wife and I were able to put her back up, and there was no damage. Those rubber bumpers really do work! Still, one's pride takes a hit.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Don't worry, the more it happens the less you feel bad about it each time.

I think I have dropped her 4 times. Last time was in dirt in the mountains on a slope without sure footing. I was goofing around and down she went. No damage and we got it up no problem.

Part of life with that big beast..

Good luck in finding your parts.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Dropped mine twice four months apart but both at the same friends house.

Glad I put the rubber strips on the side bags after the first one.

·
Registered
303 Posts
droped mine last week

I've had my oolt since May 06 and have put 10k on it. Was out at Branson Mo. Last week on way to Dallas with wife. We were on a narrow road around Table Rock lake checking out some beach houses when the road dead ended. on a real
nice slope. After jacking around she went down on the l side. No one seen it and
we picked her right backup. I tried hard to holder up and then found my handle bars loose for the rest of the trip. Ck'd the site for info on loose bars and pulled
plastic tonight and tighten then up. Was amazed by the way she just layed on
the side bumpers. And now we've got the 1st drop under our belt.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bmwriderm said:
I've had my oolt since May 06 and have put 10k on it. Was out at Branson Mo. Last week on way to Dallas with wife. We were on a narrow road around Table Rock lake checking out some beach houses when the road dead ended. on a real
nice slope. After jacking around she went down on the l side. No one seen it and
we picked her right backup. I tried hard to holder up and then found my handle bars loose for the rest of the trip. Ck'd the site for info on loose bars and pulled
plastic tonight and tighten then up. Was amazed by the way she just layed on
the side bumpers. And now we've got the 1st drop under our belt.
Yup, she aint pretty when all laid over like that. Mine looked like an old gray donkey layin on her side. But, I too was amazed at how nothin got hurt . . . this time. :rolleyes: Well, the wife anounced that she is going riding with me on Sunday. Guess the daughter made her a little jealous :histerica Think we'll head up to N. Cal and see what Shasta is up to.
Ya'll have a safe holidays and keep them two wheels down and on the road again.
Cheers, :dance:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Getting to be a habit!

I hate to admit it, but in the few weeks I've been riding the K1200LTC, I'd dropped it TWICE! I've ridden for many, many hundreds of thousands of miles, and have NEVER dropped a street bike. Now, I've got the best riding cruiser I've ever ridden, and I can't keep it up! With my 29" inseam, it's purely tip-toes and prayers at intersections. Now, I'm gun-shy, dreading the next red light or stop sign.

Other than common sense...looking for gravel and sand, etc, are there any secrets? Training wheels? I love the bike in every other way!!!!!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
PilotPhil said:
I hate to admit it, but in the few weeks I've been riding the K1200LTC, I'd dropped it TWICE! I've ridden for many, many hundreds of thousands of miles, and have NEVER dropped a street bike. Now, I've got the best riding cruiser I've ever ridden, and I can't keep it up! With my 29" inseam, it's purely tip-toes and prayers at intersections. Now, I'm gun-shy, dreading the next red light or stop sign.

Other than common sense...looking for gravel and sand, etc, are there any secrets? Training wheels? I love the bike in every other way!!!!!
Just one of many suggestions you'll hear about --- have your fav shoe cobbler re-sole your riding boots (some can't be, some can) with a thicker sole. There is a company that makes non-skid soles with tread patterns that work real well. I forget the name, butt your cobbler will know.

·
Registered
795 Posts
only twice?

chuckle said:
I dropped it three times the first time Rose and I went out for the day. 65,000 miles later I don't do it much any more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. It's encouraging knowing that I'm not inventing a new K1200 sport! Any hints on how to pick it up once it's down? I hear there's a demo of a 100# girl doing it...but from my experience, I better watch out, because she'd kick my Remus up and down the parking lot!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't remember where I learned it, but if you put your butt on the drivers seat, one hand on the handlebar and one on the lifting handle forward of the rear case, you'll have bent knees and can lift the bike by pushing backwards into the seat. The trickiest part of this technique is getting turned around after getting the bike up, but it's not as hard as you'd think.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind, but hope to never get a chance to test it. One of the scary things would be to get it upright, then have it continue the journey down on the OTHER side! :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
PilotPhil said:

I've been applying both brakes coming to a stop, but have been dragging the rear brake to complete the stop. Doesn't seem so "tipsy" as when applying front/rear with the same force/pressure. I don't want to get out of the habit of using both brakes to stop the bike.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts